Wiesen Mechanical Aptitude Test

In summary: I can get.In summary, the person is looking for free resources or books that can help prepare for the Wiesen Test. They think the biggest challenge will be to keep from wasting time and to not be surprised by the questions. They also want to obtain a practical paid apprenticeship.
Freyja
Good day everybody,

In a nutshell, I have to take the Wiesen Test for mechanical aptitude before this upcoming 24th, so less than a week from now. I am aware that this might seem a really simple task, and the theoretical concepts are indeed really easy, but the issue would be the timing; I will have 30 minutes to answer 60 questions, and some of those questions are meant to be tricky. I also need at least a 70% score.

I cannot find for the life of me any resources available online, aside from the youtube videos (which are very helpful tbh), and the typical trial tests with only a few questions. My idea was to simply practice, practice, and practice more in order to get up to speed and get over the trickiness factor (e.g: "where would this fella have to exert less effort in order to lift the load?", and answering instead the situation where more effort is needed, just because I read the question too fast; that type of thing).

Does anybody know of any free resources or books available with this type of test? Thank you very much in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Once you know the type of question to expect, you will not be surprised, so you can allow it to test your mechanical aptitude. Do you want to trick it into recommending you for a challenging job that you are not suited to ?
What happens if you do not pass, does your world collapse ?

Likes Freyja
I had never heard of this "test" before. After looking at the (few) example questions I could find, my recommendation would be to get a good night's sleep before taking the test. It looks to me like the biggest challenge will be to keep from wasting time by second guessing yourself -- you have only 30 seconds for each question.

I also agree with @Baluncore on this -- it is an "aptitude" test so you don't want to score too much higher than appropriate. Assuming the test is actually fair.

Likes Freyja and Lnewqban
Baluncore said:
Once you know the type of question to expect, you will not be surprised, so you can allow it to test your mechanical aptitude. Do you want to trick it into recommending you for a challenging job that you are not suited to ?
What happens if you do not pass, does your world collapse ?
Hi, and thanks for your answer. I do know what type of questions can be expected, and I also do know the basic principles behind them (at least I think I do), but for a little background on me, I haven't performed a test since I got out of technical school, over 10 years ago. I studied a 2 year degree on Marine Engineering, which included subjects like Thermodynamics, Ship Theory, Refrigeration, Fluid Mechanics, Electricity, and such, and the shop work (machining, welding, etc.). While I think I did pretty good on all those subjects, and I absolutely loved studying them, then life happened, and due to severe trauma and some horrible events my mind isn't what it used to be. I tend to overthink and get overwhelmed much more easily than I would care for, and my brain is always in overdrive mode, that's its natural, normal state right now.

I certainly don't want to trick the test. I don't know how anybody would do such thing, as there are a million different ways to ask the same question, so memory is definitely out of the equation here; not that I would have any use for it anyway, since my brain just doesn't work that way; I can memorize the basics of course, like we all do, but then I apply reasoning to use those basics. With that being said, I don't want the test to trick me, and that's what I intended to say in my previous post. With the added constrains of timing, it is very easy to misread, heck even assume the question being asked, and of course, give the wrong answer. That's why I would like to practice. Tons and tons of questions, one after the other, in order to get used to the dynamics of this test, and to improve whatever I need to improve.

My world as I knew it already collapsed a long time ago, but I'm still in this realm and have some dearly loved folks I need to make proud, so here I am. This test simply would open a door for a practical paid apprenticeship that I would like to obtain while still making a decent living through my work.

In sum, I'm not asking for any "privileges" or anything I don't deserve. I'm not that type of person, believe me. But I'll be damned if I don't use my brains and thinking capabilities to try to tackle this with the best strategies. Just like everybody else would.

Last edited:
Likes DeBangis21 and berkeman
gmax137 said:
I had never heard of this "test" before. After looking at the (few) example questions I could find, my recommendation would be to get a good night's sleep before taking the test. It looks to me like the biggest challenge will be to keep from wasting time by second guessing yourself -- you have only 30 seconds for each question.

I also agree with @Baluncore on this -- it is an "aptitude" test so you don't want to score too much higher than appropriate. Assuming the test is actually fair.

This type of mechanical aptitude tests are pretty standard in the industrial maintenance field. The Wiesen, the Ramsay, the Bennett, etc. All of them very similar, and variations of the same basic concepts. As you said, the biggest challenge would be to stop second guessing myself, and of course make sure I read the question well, and don't assume what they're asking (like I mentioned in my first post, "what situation requires less effort..." and my brain just automatically going to the situation that requires more effort instead; that type of thing).

I also want to get familiar with the wording and of course, all of the technical lingo. English isn't my first language, and I simply refuse to do a test in my original language. First of all, I am in the USA where the official language is English; second, every translation I have ever read in what's supposedly the language of Cervantes, Calderón, Lope de Vega and Góngora has been so far nothing short of pitiful, and that would be quite the understatement :eek:

I am truly trying to not overthink this too much, but I also would be competing for this position with people half my age, and probably much more used to tests than I am right now. I just want to prepare myself to the best of my abilities.

Thanks for your answer as well :smile:

Last edited:
My brief internet search produced many hits that seemed to be "pay for sample tests." These may be legitimate, but they set off my suspicious buzzer, if you know what I mean. Maybe you can find a trusted source to help you sort through those hits.

Likes Freyja
gmax137 said:
My brief internet search produced many hits that seemed to be "pay for sample tests." These may be legitimate, but they set off my suspicious buzzer, if you know what I mean. Maybe you can find a trusted source to help you sort through those hits.
Thank you very much for your help, and yes, I know exactly what you mean. I honestly don't feel like paying something between 60-80 bucks for a few elementary quizzes :rolleyes:

That said, I just found something very useful, and that's exactly what I was looking for. A 236 pages .pdf book with all the basics and explanations. I will be using this as study/refreshment material, and with that and a few youtube videos I think I should be fine.

[Link to copyrighted PDF deleted by the Mentors]

Last edited by a moderator:
Freyja said:
I am truly trying to not overthink this too much, but I also would be competing for this position with people half my age, and probably much more used to tests than I am right now. I just want to prepare myself to the best of my abilities.
It seems to be a simple test for someone who is well rested, worry-free and knows the principles.

https://www.practiceaptitudetests.com/mechanical-reasoning-test.pdf

https://psychometric-success.com/aptitude-tests/test-types/wiesen-test-of-mechanical-aptitude

Your competitors will not be as problematic as the time limitations and your anxiety; therefore, you need to practice time and nerves management.
Be aware of your use of time for each question, during the 30 minutes.

It will be you against the clock and the distractions that they will put in your way, and that you will create yourself.
Have the discipline to carefully read the question and select and mark one answer in 20 seconds.
If not done in that time, go on to the next question.

Use the last 10 or 8 minutes to go back to the unanswered questions and make the best possible guess and mark that answer.
If you fail the test, just let it be.

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston S. Churchill

• Love
Likes DeBangis21 and Freyja
Lnewqban said:
It seems to be a simple test for someone who is well rested, worry-free and knows the principles.

https://www.practiceaptitudetests.com/mechanical-reasoning-test.pdf

https://psychometric-success.com/aptitude-tests/test-types/wiesen-test-of-mechanical-aptitude

Your competitors will not be as problematic as the time limitations and your anxiety; therefore, you need to practice time and nerves management.
Be aware of your use of time for each question, during the 30 minutes.

It will be you against the clock and the distractions that they will put in your way, and that you will create yourself.
Have the discipline to carefully read the question and select and mark one answer in 20 seconds.
If not done in that time, go on to the next question.

Use the last 10 or 8 minutes to go back to the unanswered questions and make the best possible guess and mark that answer.
If you fail the test, just let it be.

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston S. Churchill
Thank you so very much for those words of encouragement :heart: Sometimes we are our own worst enemy, and that has been proven true for myself quite often. I truly appreciate what you said, and will do my best to succeed in this assignment.

Thank you also for the links. I have no idea how Internet algorithms work, but I am amazed at the odd results that different search engines can provide. Even the same search engines in different devices. I haven't been able to find more extensive information or a bigger number of questions/trial tests, but you did. I am very grateful for this :smile:

Likes Lnewqban
I flew through a set of questions, expecting to trip up, and realised that there were several possible answers to each. I know that is what multiple choice is, but in many cases, with A, B or C as the answer, I could see several reasons or special cases, where each could be correct, depending on the interpretation of the non-technical language, the level of detail in the sketches, my depth of analysis, and the deliberate logical-inversion of double negatives in some of the questions.

It seems to be testing the connections in your brain between your understanding of text, the 2D graphic you see, your spatial imagination of change, your mechanical experience, and your ability to reason between all six at once. The test seems devoid of numbers or arithmetic, so they are looking for natural talent or intuition, not technical experience.

I would methodically;
Glance at the picture.
Read the words of the question.
Look for logical inversions in the text.
Look back, to check that the picture has not changed in my mind.
Read the text question again to check it is the same in my mind.
Avoid analysing the situation too deeply.
Identify the simple principle they are testing.
Eliminate the silly answer(s).
Select the obvious answer they want.
Move on.

Baluncore said:
I flew through a set of questions, expecting to trip up, and realised that there were several possible answers to each. I know that is what multiple choice is, but in many cases, with A, B or C as the answer, I could see several reasons or special cases, where each could be correct, depending on the interpretation of the non-technical language, the level of detail in the sketches, my depth of analysis, and the deliberate logical-inversion of double negatives in some of the questions.

It seems to be testing the connections in your brain between your understanding of text, the 2D graphic you see, your spatial imagination of change, your mechanical experience, and your ability to reason between all six at once. The test seems devoid of numbers or arithmetic, so they are looking for natural talent or intuition, not technical experience.

I would methodically;
Glance at the picture.
Read the words of the question.
Look for logical inversions in the text.
Look back, to check that the picture has not changed in my mind.
Read the text question again to check it is the same in my mind.
Avoid analysing the situation too deeply.
Identify the simple principle they are testing.
Eliminate the silly answer(s).
Select the obvious answer they want.
Move on.
Exactly! I see you perfectly understood my point, since you have described all of my concerns to a T. To be completely honest with you, I hate this type of tests for how easy one can get confused by all of the factors you just mentioned, and so accurately put into words, much better than I could. It is not about true knowledge or understanding of the concepts, nor about the actual mechanical ability to do things. Heck I taught myself calculus back in the day, when I was in high school; I hated derivatives because I couldn't quite get the gist of them, then decided to do the inverse process, i.e: integration which was much more fascinating and entertaining to me, and then after that is where I got back to derivatives. I can fix by myself things that might go from a broken cell phone screen to a Kirby vacuum to an engine, just by watching a few youtube videos. It's all about imitation and process following, in my mind those things don't offer any challenge. Mechanics are just Legos for adults; some can be very expensive and fancy Legos, but Legos nonetheless, lol.

But these little and seemingly basic tests are just meant to confuse you, make you go on a tangent, and lose time overthinking, then you get all nervous and just like that, pick the wrong answer and there goes your chance down the drain, then you beat yourself up for not being able to pass such a basic task. That's what I'm most worried about. I'd rather do a calculus exam, to tell you the truth.

Your advice is truly helpful; I'm right now reading the book I found, and will be performing as many quizzes as I can for the next 2-3 days, then schedule the appointment for my test, and just jump into it after a good night of sleep, a good breakfast and a good cup of coffee, so help me God.

Thank you very much for your input :smile:

Likes DeBangis21 and Lnewqban
Freyja said:
... then you get all nervous and just like that, pick the wrong answer and there goes your chance down the drain, then you beat yourself up for not being able to pass such a basic task. That's what I'm most worried about.
Thinking of the consequences of failure only robs the precious energy and determination that help you overcome the challenge.
Negative thinking induces paralyzing fear; resolution and positive action can and should replace it.
Move your feet from the brake pedal onto the accelerator. :smile:

Copied from
https://www.desiderata.com/desiderata.html

"Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune. But do not distress yourself with dark imaginings. Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness.

Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself.
You are a child of the universe no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here.
And whatever your labors and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy."

Best! 👍

• Care
Lnewqban said:
Thinking of the consequences of failure only robs the precious energy and determination that help you overcome the challenge.
Negative thinking induces paralyzing fear; resolution and positive action can and should replace it.
Move your feet from the brake pedal onto the accelerator. :smile:

Copied from
https://www.desiderata.com/desiderata.html

"Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune. But do not distress yourself with dark imaginings. Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness.

Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself.
You are a child of the universe no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here.
And whatever your labors and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy."

Best! 👍
You are absolutely right! Negative thoughts and self-fulfilling prophecies are a b...ch to deal with :H

I have a hard time with those, especially considering the steel resolve I've always had, which used to be one of my main selling points as well as a source of pride. Dammit Freyja, ground yourself!

Your beautiful words of encouragement are duly noted, and most appreciated, I say this from the bottom of my heart. Thank you very much, and may you have all the blessings in this life and others.

I shall apply your helpful advice to all chapters of this ever-challenging existence of mine. I am serious, there are so many other things going on right now, and I will tackle them all under this perspective.

I really, really love this site. I almost forgot how wonderful it was to hang around here.

Thank you, thank you, and a million times thanks again to you and everybody else :heart:

Likes DeBangis21 and Lnewqban

What is the Wiesen Mechanical Aptitude Test?

The Wiesen Mechanical Aptitude Test is a standardized test used to measure a person's mechanical aptitude and ability to understand and apply mechanical concepts. It is commonly used by employers to assess an individual's potential for success in mechanical and technical roles.

What does the Wiesen Mechanical Aptitude Test measure?

The Wiesen Mechanical Aptitude Test measures an individual's ability to understand and apply mechanical principles, such as understanding mechanical relationships, interpreting diagrams and blueprints, and solving mechanical problems. It also assesses spatial visualization, mechanical reasoning, and manual dexterity.

How is the Wiesen Mechanical Aptitude Test administered?

The Wiesen Mechanical Aptitude Test is typically administered in a timed, multiple-choice format. It can be taken on paper or online, and usually takes around 30 minutes to complete. The test may also include hands-on tasks to assess manual dexterity and mechanical skills.

What types of jobs require the Wiesen Mechanical Aptitude Test?

The Wiesen Mechanical Aptitude Test is commonly used for jobs that require a strong understanding of mechanical concepts and skills, such as mechanics, engineers, technicians, and other technical roles. It may also be used for entry-level positions in industries such as manufacturing, construction, and transportation.

Can you prepare for the Wiesen Mechanical Aptitude Test?

Yes, it is possible to prepare for the Wiesen Mechanical Aptitude Test by familiarizing yourself with mechanical concepts and practicing similar types of questions. There are also study guides and practice tests available online. However, it is important to note that the test is designed to assess natural ability and cannot be fully prepared for like a traditional academic exam.