Where is my logic wrong (lottery problem)

• Thread starter r0bHadz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Logic
In summary, the probability of success in a Bernoulli trial is not the same every time the experiment is conducted, and this is not a bernouli trial.
r0bHadz
Homework Statement
Find the probability of selecting exactly one of the correct
six integers in a lottery, where the order in which these
integers are selected does not matter, from the positive
integers not exceeding 40
Relevant Equations
In the theory of probability and statistics, a Bernoulli trial (or binomial trial) is a random experiment with exactly two possible outcomes, "success" and "failure", in which the probability of success is the same every time the experiment is conducted. -google
I don't understand why I can't answer this question as a bernuli trial.

There are 6 possible correct integers out of 40, and 34 incorrect integers out of 40. I'd assume it would look like this:

(6c1)(6/40)(34/40)^5

I guess, it's because when you choose and incorrect or correct integer, the probability of getting a correct/incorrect integer changes? meaning this part: "in which the probability of success is the same every time the experiment is conducted." of the equation is not satisfied? Does my reason for why this doesn't work make sense?

Physics news on Phys.org
r0bHadz said:

There are 6 possible correct integers out of 40, and 34 incorrect integers out of 40. I'd assume it would look like this:

(6c1)(6/40)(34/40)^5

I guess, it's because when you choose and incorrect or correct integer, the probability of getting a correct/incorrect integer changes? meaning this part: "in which the probability of success is the same every time the experiment is conducted." of the equation is not satisfied? Does my reason for why this doesn't work make sense?

You have to pick a different number each time. There are, therefore, only 39 possibilities for your second number etc.

Hmm gotcha. So because the probability of success is not the same each time, this can't be a bernouli trial.

r0bHadz said:
Hmm gotcha. So because the probability of success is not the same each time, this can't be a bernouli trial.

Yes, your answer would be correct if You could pick the same number more than once.

LCKurtz said:
Order isn't really relevant in this problem. You have two subsets, the 6 winners and the 34 losers. You want 1 from the set of 6 and 5 from the set of 34. The hypergeometric distribution is appropriate. See:
http://mathworld.wolfram.com/HypergeometricDistribution.html

Nice! this problem is actually from a discrete math book, and I'm taking a probability course right now, and we haven't learned about hypergeometric distribution surprisingly.

You have 5 spaces for the wrong one, 34 numbers to choose those spaces.

r0bHadz said:
Problem Statement: Find the probability of selecting exactly one of the correct
six integers in a lottery, where the order in which these
integers are selected does not matter, from the positive
integers not exceeding 40
Relevant Equations: In the theory of probability and statistics, a Bernoulli trial (or binomial trial) is a random experiment with exactly two possible outcomes, "success" and "failure", in which the probability of success is the same every time the experiment is conducted. -google

(6c1)(6/40)(34/40)^5

Agree with your comparison and update. Everything is in the probability then one who know the true way always win this game

1. What is the "lottery problem"?

The lottery problem is a famous probability puzzle that involves a person who has won the lottery multiple times and is suspected of cheating. The puzzle asks whether it is more likely that the person is cheating or that they are just extremely lucky.

2. What is the logic behind the lottery problem?

The logic behind the lottery problem is based on the concept of conditional probability. It involves calculating the probability of a series of events occurring in a specific order, and then comparing that to the probability of those events occurring in any order.

3. What is the most common mistake people make when trying to solve the lottery problem?

The most common mistake people make when trying to solve the lottery problem is assuming that the probability of winning the lottery is the same for every ticket. In reality, the probability of winning varies based on the number of tickets purchased and the total number of tickets in the lottery.

4. Is there a definitive answer to the lottery problem?

No, there is no definitive answer to the lottery problem. It is a thought experiment that challenges our understanding of probability and does not have a clear-cut solution.

5. How can understanding the lottery problem be useful in real life?

Understanding the lottery problem can be useful in real life because it demonstrates the importance of understanding probability and how it can be manipulated. It also highlights the dangers of making assumptions and jumping to conclusions without proper evidence.