In summary, the Elenco AM/FM superheterodyne radio kit uses transformers T6, T7, and T8 to tune to the 455 kHz intermediate frequency. These transformers have capacitors connected across the primary, which are not shown in the circuit diagram. Transistors Q8 and Q9 act as common emitter amplifiers, with Q7 serving as a self-oscillating mixer. This setup allows for selectivity in filtering out frequencies that are not around 455 kHz. Older equipment used transformers with both primary and secondary tuned, resulting in a flat-topped pass band.
richghost

Homework Statement

I am doing a project on the Elenco AM/FM superheterodyne radio kit. I have been stuck for ages trying to figure out how the two common emitter amplifiers are tuned to filter out anything that is not around 455 kHz. I tried to find a bandpass filter, or a high-pass and a low-pass filter, but to no avail.

qxnci8.jpg

Here's the entire circuit for the radio kit. I am interested in the AM part of the circuit (the lower part).

2. Equations
Not any for now...

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that transistors Q8 and Q9 form two common emitter amplifiers. I think that the capacitors C34 and C36 might have something to do with the selectivity of the amplifiers. Transformer T7 could be playing a role in it as well, I have no idea. What I do know is that the instructions that came with the kit say the following:
Untitled_4.jpg

To be honest, as a beginner, I don't understand all of what is explained. I do understand that T7 is probably the most important component to provide selectivity. That is all I know.

Please, can someone help me figure out how the amplifiers are setup to filter anything but frequencies around 455 kHz?

Physics news on Phys.org
richghost said:

Homework Statement

I am doing a project on the Elenco AM/FM superheterodyne radio kit. I have been stuck for ages trying to figure out how the two common emitter amplifiers are tuned to filter out anything that is not around 455 kHz. I tried to find a bandpass filter, or a high-pass and a low-pass filter, but to no avail.

qxnci8.jpg

Here's the entire circuit for the radio kit. I am interested in the AM part of the circuit (the lower part).

2. Equations
Not any for now...

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that transistors Q8 and Q9 form two common emitter amplifiers. I think that the capacitors C34 and C36 might have something to do with the selectivity of the amplifiers. Transformer T7 could be playing a role in it as well, I have no idea. What I do know is that the instructions that came with the kit say the following:
Untitled_4.jpg

To be honest, as a beginner, I don't understand all of what is explained. I do understand that T7 is probably the most important component to provide selectivity. That is all I know.

Please, can someone help me figure out how the amplifiers are setup to filter anything but frequencies around 455 kHz?
T6, T7 and T8 are transformers tuned to the 455 kHz intermediate frequency. They have capacitors connected across the primary but these are not shown because they will be inside the screened transformer can as purchased. For information, Q7 is a self oscillating mixer, using L5 as the LO, and Q8 and Q9 are common emitter IF amplifiers. Older equipment used transformers with both primary and secondary tuned, which gave a flat topped pass band.

Likes berkeman
tech99 said:
T6, T7 and T8 are transformers tuned to the 455 kHz intermediate frequency. They have capacitors connected across the primary but these are not shown because they will be inside the screened transformer can as purchased. For information, Q7 is a self oscillating mixer, using L5 as the LO, and Q8 and Q9 are common emitter IF amplifiers. Older equipment used transformers with both primary and secondary tuned, which gave a flat topped pass band.

Thank you so much! Now, it makes sense! Thanks again!

1. What is a bandpass filter?

A bandpass filter is an electronic circuit that allows a specific range of frequencies to pass through while blocking all other frequencies. It is commonly used to isolate and amplify a specific frequency band in a signal.

2. How does a bandpass filter work?

A bandpass filter works by combining a low-pass filter and a high-pass filter in series. The low-pass filter blocks high frequencies, while the high-pass filter blocks low frequencies. Together, they create a bandpass that allows only the desired range of frequencies to pass through.

3. Where is the bandpass filter located in a circuit?

The bandpass filter can be located at any point in a circuit, depending on the design. It can be placed at the input, output, or in between stages of the circuit. However, it is typically placed at the input to prevent unwanted frequencies from entering the circuit.

4. What are the components of a bandpass filter?

The main components of a bandpass filter are capacitors and inductors. These are used to create the high-pass and low-pass filters, along with resistors to control the frequency range. Op-amps and other active components may also be used for more precise filtering.

5. How do I choose the right bandpass filter for my circuit?

The right bandpass filter for a circuit depends on its desired frequency range and other specifications such as gain and bandwidth. It is important to carefully consider these factors and select a filter with the appropriate values to achieve the desired results.