Where to purchase laboratory samples?

• Thread starter mfig
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Laboratory
In summary, the person is looking for recommendations for purchasing laboratory samples for mechanical testing, specifically Charpy impact test and standard tensile test samples. One person suggests using a website for calibration while another recommends making their own specimens for training operators. It is mentioned that making good tensile specimens can be a challenge and it is important to have a machinist with a solid background in material testing. The speaker also shares a personal experience of being able to make better specimens than a department machinist.
mfig
Hello,

I am looking to purchase laboratory samples for mechanical testing. For example, Charpy impact test samples and standard tensile test samples. Does anyone have a recommendation for a reliable source?

Thanks

Science news on Phys.org
You need to make your own. If you only need low cost tensile test specimens to train operators, you can use lengths of threaded rod with a turned down section in the middle. Similarly, low cost Charpy specimens can be lengths of flat stock notched with a hack saw.

Getting good tensile specimens for material testing can be a challenge because few machinists understand the need for low surface stress machining of the necked region. If the specimens are made by a machinist that does not have a solid background in material testing, it's a very good idea to personally observe the machining process. If the specimens are made on a CNC lathe, discuss low surface stress, depth of cut, feed rate, and sharpness of tool with the machinist.

I once made some money as an undergrad when I showed that I could make better tensile specimens than the ME department machinist. On a manual lathe.

• Informative
Likes Astronuc, DaveE and berkeman

1. How do I know if the laboratory samples I am purchasing are of good quality?

The best way to ensure the quality of laboratory samples is to purchase them from reputable suppliers or manufacturers. Look for companies that have good reviews and a track record of providing high-quality products. Additionally, you can ask for a Certificate of Analysis (COA) which provides information on the purity and composition of the sample.

2. Can I purchase laboratory samples online?

Yes, there are many online suppliers that offer a wide range of laboratory samples. However, it is important to do your research and make sure the supplier is reputable and provides high-quality products. It is also recommended to request a COA before making a purchase.

3. What is the difference between purchasing laboratory samples from a supplier and directly from a manufacturer?

Suppliers typically purchase laboratory samples from manufacturers and then sell them to customers. Purchasing directly from a manufacturer may offer more competitive pricing, but it also means you may have to buy in bulk. Additionally, suppliers may offer additional services such as sample customization or faster shipping.

4. Are there any regulations or guidelines I should be aware of when purchasing laboratory samples?

Yes, there may be regulations or guidelines depending on the type of sample you are purchasing. For example, if you are purchasing biological samples, you may need to have proper permits or follow specific handling and disposal protocols. It is important to research and comply with any regulations or guidelines to ensure the safety and legality of your purchase.

5. Can I return or exchange laboratory samples if I am not satisfied with them?

This will depend on the supplier or manufacturer's return policy. It is important to inquire about their policy before making a purchase. Some may offer exchanges or refunds if the sample is damaged or not as described, while others may not accept returns at all. It is important to clarify this before making a purchase.