Which actions can reinvigorate blunted passion?

In summary, the author is saying that as you get older, you don't have the same excitement for learning as when you were younger. You might try to think like an inventor and imagine how a child perceives things. You might also try to teach kids about a topic to recapture your sense of wonder.
CynicusRex
Gold Member
At age 14 I started to lose my sense of wonder for science. I used to love getting up at 6 AM to study biology. Archeology fascinated me. So did fighter jets, meteorology, space exploration, etc. Because my weakness in French, I had to pick an easier course, which made me lazy and unexcited about learning.

This month I became 26 and it's the third time I started studying again, but now out of my own convictions, not because I have to. In a fluctuating manner I can steadily see my passion growing again, because I’m surrounding myself with things I used to be very passionate about. But my curiosity and passion isn’t what it used to be, yet. I know it’s possible to get it back to where it was, as there are many adults who have never lost it.

Therefore this thread, to see if there any ideas that didn't cross my mind yet.

Physics news on Phys.org
As you look at things, ask yourself why is it designed that way? are there alternatives? what are the advantages and disadvantages? ...

Thinking like an inventor can sometimes bring out the passion that you're seeking to recover.

Also try to imagine how a child perceives things. This is actually a good meditational exercise.

Lastly, think about how you might teach someone about a topic and in doing so, you might recall your sense of wonder.

For me, I was always fascinated by the computer and what it could do. My first experience was with a teletype and playing the game Gunner IV where you're an artillery officer shooting a cannon and you must provide the angle of elevation in order to hit the target. Its a really simply text based game but it got me thinking on the meaning of intelligence and how a computer could be intelligent. It was magical device to me then not unlike the 3D printers of today. The possibilities are endless.

Likes CynicusRex
Hah, funny you mentioned to think like an inventor. Ten minutes ago, while reading the science jokes thread, I remembered when I was young I frequently thought about making a wind turbine which powers up a battery which in turn powered the turbine, thus producing infinite energy. I also wanted to build an endless fountain, a mechanism that somehow automatically brings the water back to the source. Both obviously impossible, but then I didn't know any laws of physics. It has been a long time since I recalled those memories.

I appreciate the answer.

PS The initial google search results for Gunner IV show a more modern game.

It's just growing up, getting older. As you live, see, and learn more, you just don't get as excited about things as when you were younger. But, I think as you mature, you appreciate things more than when you were younger, because you understand them better. Just my $0.02.

Could be, but I have my doubts. If I hear Destin from Smarter Every Day, Derek Muller from Veritasium, Neil DeGrasse Tyson, etc. talking, they are clearly filled with passion. When I was a youth leader in the scouts several years ago, I still enjoyed throwing paper airplanes as much as when I was a kid. Anyway I will find an answer to this problem, I realize it's a personal one. But I thought I'd ask.

Each of the folks you mention have a passion to teach to the larger audience. Derek Mueller loves to pose questions and then answers them in the most concise and articulate way to really get you thinking.

So start a dialog with some kids you know and see what they can teach you.

I'm always interested in how people not conversant with software engineering interact with programs. You can learn some real UX ideas from them to create better designed interfaces.

Likes mister mishka and CynicusRex
Passion is always there, maybe you are too comfortable / set in your ways? The older one gets, the more knowledge gets accumilated, and the more we "know". If you are not asking the bigger questions, making the deeper connections, being more aware of the reality around you; well then you know too much for your own good. Passion starts when you "don't know" something, just look around you; there are so many more questions to life than there are answers (you know).. o0)

Likes CynicusRex

1. What is blunted passion?

Blunted passion refers to a decrease in the intensity or strength of one's feelings or enthusiasm for a particular person, activity, or goal. It can also be described as a lack of motivation or drive towards something that was once exciting or meaningful.

2. What causes blunted passion?

The causes of blunted passion can vary from person to person. It can be due to external factors such as stress, burnout, or a change in circumstances. It can also be a result of internal factors such as depression, anxiety, or a lack of interest or connection to the activity or person.

3. Can blunted passion be reinvigorated?

Yes, blunted passion can be reinvigorated with the right actions and approach. It is important to identify the root cause of the blunted passion and address it accordingly. This can involve taking a break, trying new things, seeking support or therapy, or setting new goals and motivations.

4. What actions can reinvigorate blunted passion?

There is no one-size-fits-all answer to this question as everyone's situation is unique. However, some actions that can help reinvigorate blunted passion include setting realistic goals, taking breaks and rest, trying new activities or approaches, seeking support and talking to loved ones, and practicing self-care and self-compassion.

5. How long does it take to reinvigorate blunted passion?

The time it takes to reinvigorate blunted passion can vary depending on the individual and the situation. It may take days, weeks, or even months to fully regain the passion and motivation. The most important thing is to be patient and consistent with the actions taken to reinvigorate the passion.