Which book is best to understand the consequence of kronig-penney model?

In summary, the conversation is about finding a good description of the Kronig-Penney model and its consequences, specifically the diagram of the model. The person tried looking in a book by Kittel but could not understand it, so they are asking for suggestions. Another person suggests using a Maple packet for determinants and mentions a book by Decker called Solid State Physics that provides a clear treatment of the k-p model. The conversation also briefly mentions a two-dimensional Kronig Penney model in Russian.
trex
hi
which book describes kronig-penney model and its consequence properly, i.e i want a good description on the diagram of kp model.. please suggest, i tried kittel but no use, i can't understand it...Please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
trex said:
hi
which book describes kronig-penney model and its consequence properly, i.e i want a good description on the diagram of kp model.. please suggest, i tried kittel but no use, i can't understand it...Please help!
I think you don't need diagrams of Kronig Penney model.
All You need is Maple packet for determinant.

As for the superconductivity band theory ALL you need Is the solution with the moving meander lattice!
:))))

You can see two dimensional Kronig Penney model.
But it is in russian :((((
http://love.minich.ru

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the old book titled Solid State Physics by Decker. He gives a pretty clear treatment of k-p.

thanks lloydel and minich...

There are several books that can provide a good understanding of the Kronig-Penney model and its consequences. One recommended book is "Solid State Physics" by Neil W. Ashcroft and N. David Mermin. This book provides a comprehensive understanding of the electronic properties of solids, including the Kronig-Penney model.

Another useful book is "Introduction to Solid State Physics" by Charles Kittel. This book covers the basics of solid state physics, including the Kronig-Penney model, in a clear and concise manner. However, if you are having trouble understanding the concepts in this book, you may also want to try "Solid State Physics: An Introduction" by Philip Hofmann. This book provides a more intuitive approach to understanding the Kronig-Penney model, with helpful diagrams and explanations.

It is also worth mentioning that there are many online resources available, such as lecture notes and videos, that can provide a visual understanding of the Kronig-Penney model. Additionally, seeking guidance from a professor or tutor who has a strong understanding of solid state physics can also be helpful in understanding the Kronig-Penney model and its consequences.

Related to Which book is best to understand the consequence of kronig-penney model?

1. What is the Kronig-Penney Model?

The Kronig-Penney Model is a theoretical model used to describe the electronic structure of 1D crystalline solids. It takes into account the periodic potential of the crystal lattice and the free electron gas model to predict the energy bands and band gaps of the material.

2. How does the Kronig-Penney Model explain the consequences of band structure on the properties of materials?

The Kronig-Penney Model shows how the energy bands and band gaps in materials affect their electrical, optical, and magnetic properties. It can explain phenomena such as conductivity, transparency, and ferromagnetism.

3. What are the limitations of the Kronig-Penney Model?

The Kronig-Penney Model is limited to 1D crystalline solids and does not take into account the effects of defects, impurities, and interactions between atoms. It also assumes that the crystal lattice is perfectly periodic, which is not always the case in real materials.

4. Which book is best to understand the mathematical principles behind the Kronig-Penney Model?

The book "Introduction to Solid State Physics" by Charles Kittel is a widely used textbook that covers the mathematical principles and applications of the Kronig-Penney Model in detail.

5. How is the Kronig-Penney Model used in practical applications?

The Kronig-Penney Model is used in various fields such as materials science, condensed matter physics, and semiconductor device engineering. It helps researchers and engineers understand the electronic properties of materials and design new materials with specific properties for various applications.