What are best civil engineering books for beginners?

In summary: I think that's very important," he said. "You have to be able to understand the engineering principles."
AhmedHesham
Hi
What are best civil engineering books for beginners. I want them to be easy to understand for an Egyptian I mean easy language and good content
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Civil Engineering is a very broad field, covering branches like structural, geotechnical, hydrology, surveying, transportation, power line design, environmental, urban planning, site development, etc. Do you have a specific field of interest?

PhanthomJay said:
Civil Engineering is a very broad field, covering branches like structural, geotechnical, hydrology, surveying, transportation, power line design, environmental, urban planning, site development, etc. Do you have a specific field of interest?
OK
I am specifically interested in infrastructure and water supply system
But I'm a beginner so I want a beginner level book

Water supply is outside my area of expertise, so you might want to do a google search or check with Amazon. But first I trust you have taken the basic prerequisite courses common to most engineering disciplines, like algebra, trig, calculus,physics, chemistry, CAD, and the engineering sciences, if you want to be any kind of an Engineer ( with a very few exceptions for a handful of persons coming in from the back door).

Likes AhmedHesham
AhmedHesham said:
Hi
What are best civil engineering books for beginners. I want them to be easy to understand for an Egyptian I mean easy language and good content
Thanks
5. Mechanics of Materials, James M.Gere

Key features 🗜

• Main Topics: Basic Engineering of Structures. 🏗🏢
  • Content Summary: Torsion, Analysis of Stress and Strain, Stresses/Deflections in Beams, Columns, Statically indeterminate Beams...

You can buy it at Amazon here: https://amzn.to/2Y8MJdO

This book is ideal for 1st-year civil engineering university students. This book covers the analysis and design of structural members subjected to tension, compression, torsion, and bending, including the fundamental concepts of structural engineering.

Specialized topics include thermal effects, dynamic loading, non-prismatic members, beams of two materials, shear centres, pressure vessels, and statically indeterminate beams.

Numerous examples are present throughout the book in order to illustrate the theoretical concepts and show how those concepts may be used in practical situations.

4. Mechanics of Fluids, Bernard Massey

Key features 🌊

• Main Topics: Fundamental Knowledge of Fluid Mechanics.
  • Content Summary: Viscosity, Bernoulli's equation, Fluids in Motion, Flow with a Free Surface, Laminar Flow, The Momentum Equation...
You can buy it at Amazon here: https://amzn.to/37AcRBz

"It is a book for engineers rather than mathematicians"

The book introduces the basic principles of fluid mechanics in a detailed and clear manner. This bestselling textbook provides the sound physical understanding of fluid flow that is essential for an honours degree course in civil or mechanical engineering as well as courses in aeronautical and chemical engineering.

Focusing on the engineering applications of fluid flow, rather than mathematical techniques, students are gradually introduced to the subject, with the text moving from the simple to the complex, and from the familiar to the unfamiliar. SI units are used throughout and there are many worked examples.3. Soil Mechanics, Graham Barnes

Key features ⛰

• Main Topics: Fundamental Knowledge of Soil Mechanics
  • Content Summary: Soil Formation and nature, Permeability and seepage, Pile foundations, Earthworks and soil compaction, Site investigation

You can buy it at Amazon here: https://amzn.to/2YFnDT2

This book is intended to support the main courses for undergraduate civil and ground engineering students. It provides the basic principles of the subject and illustrates how, why and with what limitations these principles can be applied in practice.

This book aim is to provide:

• an understanding of the nature of the soil.
  • an appreciation of soil behaviour.
  • a concise and clear presentation of the basic principles of soil mechanics.
  • awareness of the applications of geotechnical engineering problems.
2. Structural Analysis, R. C. Hibbeler

Key features 🔩

• Main Topics: Structural Analysis theorems of trusses, beams, and frames.
  • Content Summary: Deflections Using Energy Methods/Slope-Deflection Equations, Statically Indeterminate Structures...

You can buy it at Amazon here: https://amzn.to/2AIn3vI

In this book, the emphasis is given on developing the student's ability to both model and analyse a structure and to provide realistic applications encountered in professional practice.

This book goes beyond theory and steps into the information age by especially developing animations that breathe new life into classical concepts.

Preliminary aspects of structural analysis are discussed as well some basic types of structures, there components and supports are addressed.

1. Structures OR WHY THINGS DONT FALL DOWN, J. E. Gordon

Key features 🌉🏢

• Main Topics: General understanding of Structures
  • Content Summary: Compression and bending structures, Tension structures, The difficult birth of the science of elasticity.

You can buy it at Amazon here:
https://amzn.to/2YKQsx4

This book is ideal for someone that is considering studying civil engineering. The book provides a fundamental understanding of basic concepts and explains the history behind the complex formulas used in solid mechanics.

It is for anyone who has wondered why suspension bridges don't collapse under eight lanes of traffic, how dams hold back thousands of gallons of water, or what principles guide the design of skyscraper.

Suggested by Elon Musk: When Musk started SpaceX, he was coming from a coding background. But he took it upon himself to learn the fundamentals of rocket science.

"It is really, really good if you want a primer on structural design," Musk said in an interview with KCRW, a Southern California radio station.

Read more here:
https://www.structuresinsider.com/post/top-5-civil-engineering-books-for-beginners

Likes yucheng

What are the best civil engineering books for beginners?

Some of the best civil engineering books for beginners include "Civil Engineering Reference Manual for the PE Exam" by Michael R. Lindeburg, "A Guide to the Project Management Body of Knowledge (PMBOK Guide)" by Project Management Institute, and "Structures: Or Why Things Don't Fall Down" by J.E. Gordon.

What topics should be covered in a beginner's civil engineering book?

A beginner's civil engineering book should cover topics such as structural analysis, construction materials, project management, geotechnical engineering, and transportation engineering.

Are there any online resources for beginner civil engineering books?

Yes, there are many online resources for beginner civil engineering books. Some popular websites include Coursera, edX, and Khan Academy. These websites offer free or affordable online courses and resources for learning civil engineering.

How can I choose the right civil engineering book for me?

To choose the right civil engineering book for you, consider your level of expertise, the specific topics you are interested in, and your learning style. You can also read reviews and ask for recommendations from other engineers or professors.

Are there any civil engineering books specifically for self-study?

Yes, there are many civil engineering books specifically designed for self-study. These books often include practice problems and exercises to help you apply the concepts and improve your skills. Some examples include "Civil Engineering: A Very Short Introduction" by David Muir Wood and "Civil Engineering All-In-One PE Exam Guide" by Indranil Goswami.