Which Book on Fiber Bundles is Best for Beginners with an Intuitive Approach?

In summary, the conversation discusses the search for a good book on fiber bundles that takes an intuitive approach and has minimal prerequisites. The book "Modern differential geometry for physicists" is mentioned, along with its strengths and weaknesses. Other recommendations are also given, such as "Lecture Notes on Elementary topology and Geometry" and "Gauge fields, knots and gravity". The conversation concludes with the appreciation for the helpful recommendations.
bobydbcn
Becuase of geometric phase,I'm looking for a good book on fiber bundles, with a minimum of prerequistes and that takes a more intutive rather than formal approach.I am reading a book called modern differential geometry for physicists. It is a good book but sometimes abstract.

I know about calculus of variations, multivariable calculus, vector calculus, linear algebra,and a bit of differential geometry.

Physics news on Phys.org
bobydbcn said:
Becuase of geometric phase,I'm looking for a good book on fiber bundles, with a minimum of prerequistes and that takes a more intutive rather than formal approach.I am reading a book called modern differential geometry for physicists. It is a good book but sometimes abstract.

I know about calculus of variations, multivariable calculus, vector calculus, linear algebra,and a bit of differential geometry.

thsis is a broad subject. What in particular do you want ot learn about?

wofsy said:
thsis is a broad subject. What in particular do you want ot learn about?
thanks a lot. I want to learn about principle bundles, associate bundles ,vector bundles , parallel transport and homonomy in them.

I recently finished Chris Isham's book "Modern differential geometry for physicists", and it covers the topics you're interested in (after going through the basic stuff about manifolds and Lie groups). All things considered I'd give it 4 stars out of 5, but I should warn you that the explanations are getting much more difficult to follow towards the end, where he talks about connections on principal bundles. It was almost like he had been in a hurry to finish the book. But everything before that is very good, and I was able to get through the difficult parts too, even though it was a bit painful.

I should probably also warn you that there isn't much about holonomies in the book (since you mentioned that specifically), so if that's something you want to study in depth, you will have to do it somewhere else (but this book can at least prepare you for that).

Another thing I found a bit annoying is that even though his goal is to teach you the stuff you need to know to understand that a Yang-Mills potential is a local representative of a connection on a principal bundle, and that kind of stuff, he never actually writes down the Yang-Mills Lagrangian and connects it to the stuff you've learned.

Fredrik said:
I recently finished Chris Isham's book "Modern differential geometry for physicists", and it covers the topics you're interested in (after going through the basic stuff about manifolds and Lie groups). All things considered I'd give it 4 stars out of 5, but I should warn you that the explanations are getting much more difficult to follow towards the end, where he talks about connections on principal bundles. It was almost like he had been in a hurry to finish the book. But everything before that is very good, and I was able to get through the difficult parts too, even though it was a bit painful.

I should probably also warn you that there isn't much about holonomies in the book (since you mentioned that specifically), so if that's something you want to study in depth, you will have to do it somewhere else (but this book can at least prepare you for that).

Another thing I found a bit annoying is that even though his goal is to teach you the stuff you need to know to understand that a Yang-Mills potential is a local representative of a connection on a principal bundle, and that kind of stuff, he never actually writes down the Yang-Mills Lagrangian and connects it to the stuff you've learned.
Thank you very much!You are so kind and helpful.I am reading it now. Maybe it's the best book about this subject. elegant and graceful.I will try my best to finish it!

bobydbcn said:
thanks a lot. I want to learn about principle bundles, associate bundles ,vector bundles , parallel transport and homonomy in them.

I do not know an easy book. Perhaps Fredrik's book is the one you should use.

Singer and Thorpe's Lecture Notes on Elementary topology and Geometry discusses geometry on oriented surfaces from the point of view of connections on circle bundles ( a circle bundle is a principal bundle). It is incredibly well written. The case of two dimensional Riemannian geometry is intuitive and has helped me to understand higher dimensional geometry. This book also introduces De Rham theory on manifolds, and covering spaces. Singer and Thorpe are both well known mathematicians (Singer is the Singer of the Atiyah Singer Index Theorem for Elliptic Operators. Thorpe is a well known Geometer) and wrote this book to introduce geometry from the modern view point. I can not recommend this book highly enough. Many of the mathematical tricks used in proofs are also modern and will serve you faithfully in higher dimensions.

wofsy said:
I do not know an easy book. Perhaps Fredrik's book is the one you should use.

Singer and Thorpe's Lecture Notes on Elementary topology and Geometry discusses geometry on oriented surfaces from the point of view of connections on circle bundles ( a circle bundle is a principal bundle). It is incredibly well written. The case of two dimensional Riemannian geometry is intuitive and has helped me to understand higher dimensional geometry. This book also introduces De Rham theory on manifolds, and covering spaces. Singer and Thorpe are both well known mathematicians (Singer is the Singer of the Atiyah Singer Index Theorem for Elliptic Operators. Thorpe is a well known Geometer) and wrote this book to introduce geometry from the modern view point. I can not recommend this book highly enough. Many of the mathematical tricks used in proofs are also modern and will serve you faithfully in higher dimensions.
Thanks a lot!I read it just now.I think it may be a good reference to me!But in my believe I lack the ability to read it from the beginning to the end,because it was a litter hard for me.

The book "Gauge fields, knots and gravity" by Baez & Muniain looks very interesting too. I haven't read it, but I hope I'll have time for it later this year.

Fredrik said:
The book "Gauge fields, knots and gravity" by Baez & Muniain looks very interesting too. I haven't read it, but I hope I'll have time for it later this year.

Thanks a lot! It is really a good book. And i think it is hard for me to read.

Fredrik said:
It's basically the best follow on from Isham's book. It deals specifically with the Yang-Mills stuff that you want.

DarMM said:
It's basically the best follow on from Isham's book. It deals specifically with the Yang-Mills stuff that you want.

Thanks u very much, I think it intrigue my interest to read it.I want to study about quantum field. I think your suggested book maybe a good guide for me to study further.

bobydbcn said:
Thanks a lot!I read it just now.I think it may be a good reference to me!But in my believe I lack the ability to read it from the beginning to the end,because it was a litter hard for me.

This book is basic and meant for undergraduates. You should try it.

wofsy said:
This book is basic and meant for undergraduates. You should try it.

Thanks all the same! I think it is a fundamental book.I will study it later when I have time. Now I must focus myselft on the use of fiber bundle because my major is physics.I leave the complex and precise work to mathematician.

bobydbcn said:
Thanks all the same! I think it is a fundamental book.I will study it later when I have time. Now I must focus myselft on the use of fiber bundle because my major is physics.I leave the complex and precise work to mathematician.

mistake

DarMM said:

I borrowed the book today from library. It is really a good book!easy to read and insightful enough for physicists. Thank you a lot! I think I will enjoy it. By the way it is a good book for beginners to learn differential geometry.

Fredrik said:

I found the series 1 last time, so I committed a mistake. You urged book is series 4.I found it in library by acctident. I think it is a wonderful book. Thank you very much. I will read it carefully. Easy to read and insightful book!It is also appropriate for beginners.

1. What is a fiber bundle?

A fiber bundle is a mathematical concept that describes how one space (called the base space) is related to another space (called the fiber). It is a way of understanding the geometric structure of a space by breaking it down into smaller, simpler pieces.

2. What makes a book a "good" book of fiber bundles?

A good book of fiber bundles should cover the fundamental concepts and properties of fiber bundles in a clear and concise manner. It should also provide examples and applications of fiber bundles in different areas of mathematics and science.

3. Is prior knowledge of topology necessary to understand books on fiber bundles?

Prior knowledge of topology is helpful but not necessary to understand books on fiber bundles. Some knowledge of basic mathematical concepts such as sets, functions, and vector spaces may also be helpful.

4. What are some practical applications of fiber bundles?

Fiber bundles have numerous applications in mathematics and science, including in differential geometry, physics, and engineering. They are also used in data analysis and machine learning to analyze complex datasets.

5. Are there any recommended books on fiber bundles for beginners?

Some recommended books for beginners include "Fiber Bundles" by Dale Husemoller, "Introduction to Fiber Bundles" by Jonathan Schleich, and "Topology and Geometry for Physicists" by Charles Nash and Siddhartha Sen. It is also helpful to consult with a math professor or librarian for more personalized recommendations.