Which branch of topology to study

In summary, there are four types of approach to topology: general, algebraic, differential, and geometrical. To gain a rough understanding of General Relativity, one should focus on differential geometry, which is the foundation of the mathematical principles behind General Relativity. Point-set topology, also known as set-theoretic topology, is the study of continuity and other basic topological notions. It may be helpful to have a basic understanding of this before delving into the study of differential geometry. However, a full study of point-set topology may not be necessary for those interested primarily in the physics of General Relativity.
shounakbhatta
Hello,

I learned that there are 4 types of approach to topology:

(1) General
(2) Algebraic
(3) Differential
(4) Geometrical

To have a rough understanding of General relativity, which branch of topology should I study?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
To have a rough understanding you need very little topology. What you need to study is differential geometry.

Oh, dear. You're thinking way too far. General Relativity is mathematically founded on differential geometry and advanced calculus. To study differential geometry at a decent level, you don't need too much topology (certainly not spitted per branches).

The foundational elements of topology are of some interest, Wolfram mathematics calls this "point set topology". This is the part of topology before you split off into branches.

Wolfram said:
Point-Set Topology

The low-level language of topology, which is not really considered a separate "branch" of topology. Point-set topology, also called set-theoretic topology or general topology, is the study of the general abstract nature of continuity or "closeness" on spaces. Basic point-set topological notions are ones like continuity, dimension, compactness, and connectedness.

Wolfram doesn't mention the definition of a manifold as part of point-set topology though that's something you might want to know :-). (I'm think it would be classified as part of point-set topology, but I could be mistaken as my focus is on the physics. Wolfram doesn't mention it.)

Wald, "General Relativity", for instance, has enough point set topology to give you a definition of a manifold in one of his appendices. A full study of it would probably be overkill if you are into the physics rather than the math.

I would recommend studying differential topology for a better understanding of general relativity. This branch of topology deals with smooth, continuous functions and their properties, which are essential in understanding the curvature of spacetime in general relativity. It also involves the study of manifolds, which are used to model the geometry of spacetime in general relativity. Additionally, studying differential topology can also provide a deeper understanding of the mathematical concepts and tools used in general relativity, such as tensors and differential equations. However, it is important to note that a thorough understanding of all branches of topology can contribute to a comprehensive understanding of general relativity.

Related to Which branch of topology to study

1. What is topology?

Topology is a branch of mathematics that studies the properties of geometric figures that do not change when they are stretched, twisted, or otherwise deformed. It is concerned with the study of spaces and their properties, such as connectivity, compactness, and continuity.

2. What are the different branches of topology?

There are several branches of topology, including point-set topology, algebraic topology, geometric topology, and differential topology. Each branch focuses on different aspects of spaces and their properties.

3. Which branch of topology is the most commonly studied?

The most commonly studied branch of topology is point-set topology, which deals with the fundamental concepts of topology such as open and closed sets, continuity, and compactness.

4. How do I choose which branch of topology to study?

The branch of topology you choose to study depends on your interests and goals. If you are interested in the algebraic and combinatorial aspects of topology, algebraic topology may be a good choice. If you are more interested in the geometric and topological properties of surfaces and manifolds, geometric topology may be a better fit.

5. What are some applications of topology?

Topology has numerous applications in various fields, such as physics, engineering, computer science, and biology. It is used to study the shape of molecules, analyze networks and data structures, and understand the behavior of dynamical systems, among others.