Which California University Should I Choose for My Exchange Program?

In summary, the conversation revolves around a French student looking to do their final undergraduate year in the USA through an exchange program. They are interested in universities located in California but are unsure which one to choose. The advice given is to consider the overall experience and not just the academic standing, as the personal benefits will be invaluable. Suggestions are made for San Francisco State University, San Diego State University, and San Jose State University, but the final decision is left up to the student.
Zweig
Hi there,

I'm currently a French student in Physics (I'm interested in fields as particle physics, quantum, cosmology) and would like to do my last undergraduate's year in the USA. It exists an exchange program between the USA and some French universities located in Paris and its region. Have a look here : http://www.micefa.org/.
Among all the US univeristies partners (http://www.micefa.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=72&Itemid=27), I'm rather interested in those which are located in California. But I don't know anything about them (http://www.micefa.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&id=44&Itemid=29) ... As I guess their undergraduate programs are nearly the same, I will turn my attention to the quality of the teaching, of the place, of the atmosphere, of the life there etc ...

Here my choices : Los Angeles, San Francisco and San Jose. Why ? Because I never went to the USA and I admit these towns (especially the first two, I chose the last one because I've some friends there) make me dream ... Yes, I watched too much Sitcom =) ... What will you advice me ? If your advice is on another university, don't hesitate to tell me with som arguments.

Thank you in advance,

Best regards.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think any of the universities listed are "big names", so just go for whichever town sounds coolest to you. The biggest part of an exchange is experiencing a different country, a different culture, stuff like that, and while I would consider the academic standing of the university and the courses offered there, as well, they shouldn't be the only factor you base your decision on. It's a one-in-a-lifetime opportunity, so make the best of it. Don't go in thinking you're going to get an advantage from a purely academic standpoint, because you're not going to learn more Physics there than you would back home. However, the personal benefits are going to be invaluable, and you should just focus on where you think you can maximize those.

Either way, if I were you, I'd go to either San Francisco SU, San Diego SU or San Jose SU, but that's just because I have a sweet spot for towns that have "San" in their names. So have fun chaising California girls and keep us updated on how that goes :biggrin:

What are the top universities in California?

The top universities in California are University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA), University of California, Berkeley (UC Berkeley), Stanford University, California Institute of Technology (Caltech), and University of California, San Diego (UCSD).

How much does it cost to attend a university in California?

The cost of attending a university in California varies depending on the school and program. In-state tuition at public universities can range from $6,000 to $15,000 per year, while out-of-state tuition can range from $20,000 to $50,000 per year. Private universities can cost upwards of $50,000 per year.

What majors are popular at universities in California?

Some of the most popular majors at universities in California include business, engineering, computer science, biology, and psychology. However, the specific popular majors may vary between different universities.

Do universities in California offer financial aid?

Yes, universities in California offer financial aid in the form of scholarships, grants, loans, and work-study programs. Students can apply for financial aid through the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) or the California Dream Act Application.

What is the student life like at universities in California?

The student life at universities in California is diverse and vibrant. With a large student population, there are many opportunities to get involved in clubs, organizations, and activities. California also offers a variety of cultural and recreational activities for students to explore.