Which classes to take to finish minor in mathematic sciences?

In summary, you should major in Computer Science with a minor in Mathematical Sciences and choose 3 more classes to make yourself more marketable. The three classes you should choose are: MATH 246 Differential Equations, MATH 301 Concepts of Real Analysis I, MATH 381 Operations Research.
Cod
So, I've decied to major in Computer Science w/ a minor in Mathematical Sciences; however, I'm in a dilemma. I need to choose 3 more classes (out of the list below; I've already chosen the other 4 classes) and I'm not sure which ones I should take to make myself more "marketable" and a better computer scientist. With that said, which 3 do y'all think best suit my career goals and desires:

MATH 246 Differential Equations
MATH 301 Concepts of Real Analysis I
MATH 381 Operations Research
MATH 402 Algebraic Structures
MATH 450 Logic for Computer Science
MATH 463 Complex Variables
MATH 466 Numerical Analysis

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Cod said:
So, I've decied to major in Computer Science w/ a minor in Mathematical Sciences; however, I'm in a dilemma. I need to choose 3 more classes (out of the list below; I've already chosen the other 4 classes) and I'm not sure which ones I should take to make myself more "marketable" and a better computer scientist. With that said, which 3 do y'all think best suit my career goals and desires:

MATH 246 Differential Equations
MATH 301 Concepts of Real Analysis I
MATH 381 Operations Research
MATH 402 Algebraic Structures
MATH 450 Logic for Computer Science
MATH 463 Complex Variables
MATH 466 Numerical Analysis

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'd pick 246, 450, and 466.

CS

I would pick 381, 402, 450. Why? Operations research is more useful than differential equations, because many algorithms involve techniques from OR. Algebra is also very important for discrete math, which is important for combinatorial algorithms and lots of other stuff. Finally, every serious CS student needs to know logic.

I don't know why a CS student would want to study differential equations or numerical analysis. At the very least, I don't see the benefit over algebra and OR.

I'd tend to lean towards Diff. Eq, Operations Research and the Logic of Computer Science classes. I'd also tend to try to find out from other students who is teaching the course, what text is used, etc., to try to make an informed decision for your particular cases.

Thanks for the help thus far y'all. I'm currently trying to find out which books each course utilizes, but so far, only a few of them are being taught this semester. And the only books you can look at are for the current semester.

Thanks again.

1. What classes are required for a minor in mathematical sciences?

The specific classes required for a minor in mathematical sciences vary depending on the university or institution. However, some common courses include calculus, linear algebra, mathematical proofs, statistics, and differential equations.

2. Can I choose my own classes for a minor in mathematical sciences?

In most cases, students are given the flexibility to choose which classes they want to take to fulfill the requirements for a minor in mathematical sciences. However, it is important to check with your academic advisor to ensure that your chosen classes fulfill the necessary requirements.

3. How many credit hours are required for a minor in mathematical sciences?

Again, the number of credit hours required for a minor in mathematical sciences may vary depending on the institution. Typically, it ranges from 15-18 credit hours, which usually translates to 5-6 classes.

4. Can I substitute classes for a minor in mathematical sciences?

Some universities may allow students to substitute certain classes for a minor in mathematical sciences, as long as they fulfill the same or similar mathematical concepts. However, it is important to check with your academic advisor to ensure that the substitution is allowed.

5. Do I need to have a strong background in math to pursue a minor in mathematical sciences?

While a strong background in math is certainly helpful, it is not always a requirement for pursuing a minor in mathematical sciences. Many universities offer introductory level courses for students who may not have a strong math background, and these classes can count towards the minor.