Which Engineering Degree is Best for Working in Energy?

In summary, the speaker is seeking advice on which field of engineering to pursue in order to work in the energy industry, specifically in nuclear and renewable energy. They are more interested in practical work rather than research and have a dream of working on a fusion power plant one day. They also express concern about the competitiveness of the industry and the publish or perish climate in physics. The advice given is to look at the course calendars for each engineering field and choose the one that interests them more, and to gain work experience in the industries they are interested in. The speaker also mentions the potential for mobility in engineering careers.
Feymar
Hello,

I've googled my issue, but couldn't find some practical advice on the matter, rather some differences between Mechanical Engineering and Electrical Engineering in general.

So, which one would be better if one wishes to work in the energy industry, namely Nuclear Energy, but maybe also (if that is not an option or the industry is supersaturated) in Renewable Energy?

Of course, I do understand that for these particular industries, there exist specialized Master Classes and such, but I am concerned about my starting point, and the Universities here mainly have these two faculties, with different directional bachelor programms (energetics, telecommunications etc...).

I am mainly concerned about the competitivness of the industry, rather than possible salary, and I would rather like to work in maintaining and/or projecting new power plants, than in research.

My biggest dream is to work on a fusion power plant one day (although, I know the saying that fusion is just 2 decades away... and always will be), however I am talking about "my dream", and not my down to Earth expectations.

Originally, I wanted to study physics, but I am discouraged because of the "publish or perish" climate of it, and I do want to do more practical work, hence why I am considering the "Engineering Route".

Thank you for taking your time to read through my post and for your advice.

Edit: I am from Europe, if that matters.

With regards.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The state of the nuclear industry is, well, dependent on which country you are from. France is probably your best bet in Europe. Possibly the UK is looking at building one or two in the near future. Other than that, things are kind of boring in nuclear. I think Romania is planning another one, but they don't seem to have signed the contracts yet.

If I was being really pessimist, I would say the thing to study to get into the nuclear industry, is Chinese. They have something like 10 reactors under construction. When those are finished they plan to move one space over and build 10 more. Then 10 more. And possibly 10 more after that. They would build them faster but they can't train engineers fast enough to keep them in the industry. There are too many other industries that attract them.

As to which engineering to study: Which one attracts you more? Look at the course calendars for each. Which classes are required for the different degree? Which of those classes look the most interesting to you? It is a Very Good Thing (TM) if you can work on something that interests you. That will mean you need much less pushing to stay focused and industrious.

When you are in the degree, make serious effort to get work terms in the industries you are interested in. If you can work for 4 months in the office

Once you get an engineering degree you have quite a lot of mobility. Just because you are working in a particular industry today does not mean you must stay there for 30 years. Your first job should be a place that will teach you something. If you are fortunate and it turns into a useful life-long career, great! If you stay there a year and head for greener pastures, also great!

1. What is the difference between a degree in mechanical engineering and a degree in electrical engineering for working in the energy industry?

A degree in mechanical engineering focuses on the design, development, and maintenance of mechanical systems, such as turbines and generators, which are commonly used in energy production. On the other hand, a degree in electrical engineering focuses on the design and development of electrical systems, such as power grids and renewable energy technologies, that are crucial for energy production and distribution.

2. Is a degree in environmental engineering a good choice for working in the energy sector?

Yes, a degree in environmental engineering can be a great choice for working in the energy sector. This field focuses on finding sustainable solutions for managing energy resources and reducing environmental impact. Environmental engineers are also involved in developing and implementing renewable energy technologies.

3. What skills are important for success in an energy-related engineering career?

Some important skills for success in an energy-related engineering career include strong analytical and problem-solving abilities, technical knowledge of energy systems, proficiency in computer-aided design (CAD) software, and project management skills. Additionally, having good communication and teamwork skills can also be beneficial in this field.

4. Are there any specialized engineering degrees specifically for the energy industry?

Yes, there are several specialized engineering degrees that are specifically tailored for the energy industry. These include degrees in energy engineering, power engineering, and renewable energy engineering. These programs provide a comprehensive understanding of energy systems and technologies, preparing students for careers in the energy sector.

5. What are some potential job opportunities for engineers with a degree in energy-related fields?

There are various job opportunities for engineers with a degree in energy-related fields. Some common job titles in this field include energy analyst, power systems engineer, renewable energy engineer, and energy project manager. These professionals may work in industries such as oil and gas, renewable energy, power generation, and energy consulting.