Which Football Kicks Higher, Travels Farther, or Stays Airborne Longer?

• Thread starter needhelpfast
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Angle
In summary: They both have the same initial velocity at angle A or B. Which one would have the greater y component of the initial velocity?
needhelpfast

Homework Statement

Two footballs, A and B, are kicked from level ground with identical initial speeds, but with θA greater than θB.
Which football reaches a higher elevation?
Which football travels farther?
Which football stays in the air longer, i.e., has the greater hang time?
Which football has the greater horizontal component of velocity?

Homework Equations

vx0=v0cos(angle)
vy0=v0sin (angle)
t=vy0/g
y=((vy0^2)-vy^2)/g
x=vx0*t

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought the answers were Football A, Football B, Football A, and then Football B, but these were wrong. I did a plug-in for this problem and I used 60 degrees for Angle A and 50 for Angle B with an initial velocity of 20 m/s. When I did all of the calculations out, I got the results I said above.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your answers are right, although i would like to know the text answers. Could you please post them?

needhelpfast said:

Homework Statement

Two footballs, A and B, are kicked from level ground with identical initial speeds, but with θA greater than θB. Which football travels farther?

I thought the answer ( was).. Football B, I used 60 degrees for Angle A and 50 for Angle B with an initial velocity of 20 m/s. When I did all of the calculations out, I got the results I said above.
Try using Angle A =45 degrees and Angle B =0 degrees. Which one travels farther? The question is missing information.

There is an option that says "depends on the angle."

I like that option:wink:

so since every equation above contains a vy0 or vxo, that would means that each answer is dependent on the angle?

needhelpfast said:
so since every equation above contains a vy0 or vxo, that would means that each answer is dependent on the angle?
No. Look at the last one, for example.
Two footballs, A and B, are kicked from level ground with identical initial speeds, but with θA greater than θB. Which football has the greater horizontal component of velocity?
They both have the same initial velocity at angle A or B. Which one would have the greater x component of the initial velocity?

Related to Which Football Kicks Higher, Travels Farther, or Stays Airborne Longer?

1. What is the angle of a typical football kickoff?

The angle of a typical football kickoff can vary depending on the technique and skill of the kicker, but it is generally around 20-30 degrees.

2. How does the angle of a kickoff affect the distance the ball travels?

The angle of a kickoff is an important factor in determining the distance the ball travels. A lower angle will result in a shorter kick, while a higher angle can result in a longer kick.

3. What is the optimal angle for a football kickoff?

The optimal angle for a football kickoff is usually around 45 degrees. This allows for a good balance between distance and accuracy.

4. How can the angle of a kickoff be adjusted?

The angle of a kickoff can be adjusted by changing the approach angle of the kicker, the point of contact on the ball, or the velocity of the kick.

5. Does the angle of a kickoff affect its accuracy?

Yes, the angle of a kickoff can affect its accuracy. A higher angle can result in a more accurate kick, while a lower angle may be more difficult to control and may lead to a less accurate kick.