Which Formulas have this format?

In summary, the requested formula is a common format in physics, and two examples are given - the area of a circle and the rotational kinetic energy of a body.
[V]
Can you please give me any physics related formula that appears in this format?

[TEX]\frac{x^2}{4}[/TEX]

Its part of a really crazy proof I am trying to do. The variables are irrelevant. Anything that looks like this would be fine!

Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
How about the area of a circle

[tex]A = \frac{{\pi {d^2}}}{4}[/tex]

Or it could be , the Rotational Kinetic Energy of the body :

[PLAIN]http://codecogs.izyba.com/gif.latex?R.E%20=%20\frac{1}{4}KR^{2}

Where K is the modified Moment of Inertia for the body.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the question referred to a string of char="[TEX]\frac{x^2}{4}[/TEX]" (obviously (x/2)**2). Some clever people can somehow turn such strings into beautifully formatted maths formula on a webpage formatted 'on the hoof' and not displayed as images.

Please can some explain how to do this as I wish to put maths equations on web pages.

This format is known as a fraction or ratio format, where the numerator (top number) is divided by the denominator (bottom number). In physics, this format is commonly used to represent equations involving units, such as velocity (\frac{distance}{time}), acceleration (\frac{change in velocity}{time}), and force (\frac{mass \times acceleration}{time}). An example of a formula that appears in this format is Newton's second law of motion: F = ma, where force (F) is equal to mass (m) multiplied by acceleration (a). Other examples include the equation for work (W = Fd), where work (W) is equal to force (F) multiplied by distance (d), and the equation for electric current (I = \frac{Q}{t}), where current (I) is equal to charge (Q) divided by time (t).

Related to Which Formulas have this format?

1. What is the format of a scientific formula?

The format of a scientific formula typically includes symbols, numbers, and operators to represent a scientific concept or relationship between variables. It is usually written using mathematical notation, such as superscripts and subscripts, and follows a specific order of operations.

2. How do I know which formulas have a specific format?

You can determine which formulas have a specific format by researching the scientific field or topic you are interested in. Many scientific journals and textbooks provide examples and explanations of common formulas used in that field.

3. Are there different formats for different types of formulas?

Yes, there are different formats for different types of formulas. For example, formulas in chemistry may differ in format from formulas in physics or biology. It is important to understand the specific format for the type of formula you are working with.

4. Can I change the format of a formula?

In most cases, the format of a formula cannot be changed without altering its meaning. However, some formulas may allow for slight variations in format, such as rearranging terms or using different symbols, while still maintaining the same relationship between variables.

5. Where can I find a list of common formula formats?

A quick internet search for "common formula formats" will yield many resources, including websites, textbooks, and scientific papers, that provide lists and explanations of common formula formats. Additionally, consulting with a scientist or expert in the specific field can also provide valuable information on common formula formats.