Which fuse should i use for a step down transformer

In summary, if you have two step-down transformers with different input voltages, you will need to fuse both the primary and secondary circuits to prevent overloads. A 1A fuse will be sufficient for the primary circuit, while a 5A fuse should be used for the secondary circuit. A fuse rated for the max load of the transformer will be a good starting point, but it is preferable to size the fuse according to the load.
PJP
hello every one!
I'm working on a project to vibrate an iron string with an electromagnet.
I've a 230 v step down transformer with "12-0-12 1 amp" output and a 230 v "12-0-12 5 amp" output.
I'm confused with which FUSE should i go with. i have a 3 amp and a 5 amp fuse.
also I'm planning to use 2 fuse's one on the primary side and one on the secondary side, so which fuse rating should i use so as to not damage the transformer as well as the electromagnet.
any suggestions?? how do i calculate the required fuse rating?
thanks for the help!

Engineering news on Phys.org
PJP said:
how do i calculate the required fuse rating?

Start with the max load you plan to put on the secondary. Choose the minimum size fuse that permits that load. Fusing both primary and secondary sides is a good idea.

PJP said:
I've a 230 v step down transformer with "12-0-12 1 amp" output and a 230 v "12-0-12 5 amp" output.

That sounds garbled. 230V input and 230V output? I'm not sure how to interpret that. Do you mean 230V in and 12V 1A out?

Likes PJP
anorlunda said:
Start with the max load you plan to put on the secondary. Choose the minimum size fuse that permits that load. Fusing both primary and secondary sides is a good idea.
That sounds garbled. 230V input and 230V output? I'm not sure how to interpret that. Do you mean 230V in and 12V 1A out?
yup, basically i have 2 step down transformers one with 24v 1amp (12-0-12) and other with 24v 5amps (12-0-12), both with input rated 230v. sorry for the mix up!

You need to fuse your primary if it will not have appropriate overcurrent protection. For this step-down transformer, a standard 15 or 20 amp circuit-breaker will not suffice. Are these transformers feeding remote wiring or will they be in the same enclosure?

If remote wiring fuse the the transformers for their max rating (1A and 5A respectively) and then fuse your loads at their location with an appropriately sized fuse.
If the transformers are going to sit at the location of the controls (as they should), then feed the transformers with a 1A fuse and the secondaries should be sized according to your load.

Given that you are dealing with inductive loads, you want time-delay fuses. Bussman FNQ-type are a good choice for this sort of loading.

Likes Asymptotic and dlgoff
sparkie said:
an appropriately sized fuse.
Obvs the fuse shouldn't exceed the transformer secondary rating but it may be a good idea to use a smaller fuse if the load (possibly a flimsy bit of circuit board?) does not actually take 5A. The fuse is there to protect as much of the whole circuit as possible and people can often forget that the flimsy 'bell wire' that is often used can get pretty warm with only a ver few Amps- 5A at 12V is 60 steaming Watts! (Look at its spec, if in doubt)

Likes PJP
sophiecentaur said:
Obvs the fuse shouldn't exceed the transformer secondary rating but it may be a good idea to use a smaller fuse if the load (possibly a flimsy bit of circuit board?) does not actually take 5A. The fuse is there to protect as much of the whole circuit as possible and people can often forget that the flimsy 'bell wire' that is often used can get pretty warm with only a ver few Amps- 5A at 12V is 60 steaming Watts! (Look at its spec, if in doubt)

Thank you for the clarification. What I *really* mean by this is that he should use, at least, a fuse sized for the max secondary of the transformer, but it would be preferable to size the fuse according to the load rather than the transformer max.

Likes sophiecentaur
The primary circuit of the transformer should perhaps also be fused ( a few 100mAs slow blow) and that would take care of internal faults and high secondary currents.

Likes PJP
sophiecentaur said:
The primary circuit of the transformer should perhaps also be fused ( a few 100mAs slow blow) and that would take care of internal faults and high secondary currents.
thanks "sophiecentaur"

1. What is a step down transformer?

A step down transformer is an electrical device that reduces the voltage of an alternating current (AC) electrical circuit. It has a higher number of windings on the primary coil and a lower number of windings on the secondary coil, which results in a lower output voltage compared to the input voltage.

2. How do I determine which fuse to use for a step down transformer?

The fuse for a step down transformer should be chosen based on the maximum load or current that the transformer can handle. This information can usually be found on the transformer's label or in the manufacturer's instructions. It is important to choose a fuse with a slightly higher rating than the maximum load, to ensure it can handle any fluctuations in the current.

3. Can I use a higher rated fuse for a step down transformer?

No, it is not recommended to use a higher rated fuse for a step down transformer. The fuse is designed to protect the transformer from overload or short circuits, and using a higher rated fuse could potentially damage the transformer or create a safety hazard.

4. Should I use a fast-acting or slow-blow fuse for a step down transformer?

This depends on the specific transformer and its intended use. Fast-acting fuses are more sensitive and will quickly blow in the event of a short circuit, while slow-blow fuses are designed to withstand short-term overloads and are better suited for continuous use. It is best to consult the transformer's manual or the manufacturer for recommendations on the type of fuse to use.

5. Can I replace a blown fuse in a step down transformer myself?

It is recommended to have a qualified electrician replace a blown fuse in a step down transformer. It is important to ensure the correct fuse is used and that the transformer is functioning properly before use. If you are unsure about how to replace the fuse, it is best to seek professional assistance.