Which is your favourite Star Wars film? [3 votes]

In summary, the conversation revolved around discussing and ranking the top three Star Wars movies. The first person expressed their preference for the original trilogy, while the second person mentioned their preference for the prequels due to better worldbuilding. The third person shared their unique perspective as a lifelong science fiction fan who missed the initial releases of the movies. They also mentioned their favorite scenes and actors from the franchise.

Which is your favourite Star Wars film?

• Episode I: The Phantom Menace

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Episode II: Attack of the Clones

• Star Wars: The Clone Wars [Film]

• Episode III: Revenge of the Sith

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • Solo

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Rogue One

• Episode IV: A New Hope

Votes: 4 50.0%
  • Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back

Votes: 5 62.5%
  • Episode VI: Return of the Jedi

Votes: 4 50.0%
  • Episode VII: The Force Awakens

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Episode VIII: The Last Jedi

• Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker

• Total voters
etotheipi
Bit of fun. Vote for your top three!

Physics news on Phys.org
Easy choice for me. I decided my favorites in the 1980s already when I had seen the first three ones. :smile:

1. The Empire Strikes Back (here is one of the best SF movie clips ever, in my opinion)
2. A New Hope (classic clip: Cantina Bargaining)
3. Return of the Jedi (a very cool clip: Final Assault into the Death Star)

Last edited:
Likes Klystron and etotheipi
That's funny, because I actually prefer the prequels by a little bit (apart from maybe esb, which everyone rates 😜) but it's probably just because I first watched all of them around the time the Clone Wars TV show was airing. Also, I think the prequels have better worldbuilding...

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes DennisN
As a lifelong SF fan I am an outlier when it comes to George Lucas and "Star Wars". I worked overseas when the movie series began; then isolated in remote deserts where I missed the initial sequels. (I first watched Godfather II at a bar in Pioche, Nevada.) A nephew once proudly showed me his X-wing fighter scale model. I had no idea what it represented but refrained from commenting about lack of aerodynamic stability. Wings on spacecraft ?

I finally saw the originals at a theater during a Lucas film festival and other episodes on DVD. Alec Guinness was terrific, as always, as Obi Wan Kenobi though he appeared to want to develop his character with additional extemporaneous dialog. All the acting was good. I always like Carrie Fisher and Harrison Ford. Natalie Portman has been a favorite actress since "The Professional" aka "Leon". I recognized the name of the actor playing Darth Vader from Stanley Kubrick films including "A Clockwork Orange".

Not sure of the names of the films but I vote for three Darth Vader scenes when 1) he stifles his underling with a gesture, and 2) declares his paternity of Luke Skywalker. I also liked 3) the anti-gravity racing scene where Vader was a young race pilot.

{Edit: the same day I saw the model X-wing, I first played video games on a television. Pong.}

Last edited:
Likes etotheipi and DennisN

1. What is your favorite Star Wars film?

My favorite Star Wars film is The Empire Strikes Back. I love the character development, plot twists, and iconic moments in this movie.

2. Why do you like The Empire Strikes Back the most?

I appreciate the darker tone of this film and how it adds depth to the overall Star Wars story. The introduction of Yoda and the reveal of Darth Vader as Luke's father are also major highlights for me.

3. Do you think The Empire Strikes Back is the best Star Wars film?

While it is my personal favorite, I believe that the original Star Wars: A New Hope holds a special place in many fans' hearts and is often considered the best in the franchise.

4. What makes The Empire Strikes Back stand out from the other Star Wars films?

The Empire Strikes Back stands out for its complex and emotional storyline, as well as its stunning visual effects and iconic moments such as the Battle of Hoth and the climactic lightsaber duel between Luke and Vader.

5. Have you seen all the Star Wars films? How does The Empire Strikes Back compare to the others?

Yes, I have seen all the Star Wars films. While I enjoy all of them, The Empire Strikes Back is the one that I find myself rewatching the most. I think it strikes the perfect balance between action, character development, and overall storytelling.