Star Wars Episode 9 - The Rise of Skywalker (Upcoming)

In summary, the Rise of Skywalker teaser looks promising. I'm curious to see how Rey turns out, and I'm excited to see more of the movie when it comes out in December.
DennisN
Gold Member
2023 Award
Ok, we've got the first trailer/teaser from the next Star Wars Movie, which is named "The Rise of Skywalker":
(it looks promising to me, and I hope it will be better than "The Last Jedi" which was a bit disappointing to me)

Star Wars: Episode IX – Teaser

Likes Spinnor and 256bits
Physics news on Phys.org
And here are two more videos for Star Wars fans:

Star Wars: Episode IX Panel | Star Wars Celebration Chicago 2019 (1 hr 29 min)
(it begins at 19 minutes)
Star Wars Celebration Chicago 2019 Live Stream - Day 1 (5 hrs 56 min)
(it begins at 5 minutes)

Honestly the last film lost me. I hope they get their mojo back.

Likes Rubidium_71 and DennisN
Greg Bernhardt said:
Honestly the last film lost me. I hope they get their mojo back.
Same here. :smile:

The Rise of the Final Trailer:

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker | Final Trailer

Likes Spinnor and Greg Bernhardt
DennisN said:
The Rise of the Final Trailer:

I think this was the best trailer. Very intriguing.

Likes DennisN
I was a bit critical the first time I saw the trailer, but it has grown on me. I now very much look forward to the movie.

And:

I now have a very strong feeling about who Rey really is, and I would be surprised if I'm wrong.
In fact, I think I am right. If I am right, it would explain why she was so incredibly talented with the Force in the movie The Force Awakens.

I put my thoughts about Rey in two nested spoiler tags below.
My thoughts are obviously not spoilers since I do not know who Rey is, but...

do not read my thoughts below if you want to see the movie with a completely untainted mind!

I think Kylo spoke the truth in the last movie. Rey's parents were insignificant, but one of her grandparents were not.

I think she is the granddaughter of emperor Palpatine.

Why I think so? For many reasons. I've thought so before, and here in the trailer Rey stands close to emperor Palpatine's old throne, while Kylo Ren stands where Luke Skywalker did in the Return of the Jedi. Gosh, if this is correct it would be sooo coool!

Most people I've heard theories from have thought she was a Skywalker, but I never thought so.
I thought she likely was Kenobi's granddaughter, or possibly, but less likely, a Palpatine as I've written in a previous PF Star Wars thread.

And now I think it is very likely she is a Palpatine!

Regarding the meaning of the title of the movie, I am less confident, but I have my thoughts about it.

"The Rise of Skywalker" means either Kylo Ren, who is half a Skywalker, is redeemed and turns back to the light side of the Force and/or it means Luke Skywalker reaches an even higher power as a force ghost than previous Jedi masters.

If you've read this, please do not comment on my thoughts as they could taint the views of others reading this thread. :oldwink:

Last edited:
I wonder if this would be Daisy Ridley last movie.

I hope they can get Taylor Swift to star in future installments because she would make a great Jedi. I seem to think it's funny whenever Daisy is making faces in the Trailer..

Also what is the source of the Dark Side in Star Wars? Is it simply a Force (like May be the Force be with You?) or are they personalities trapped in the netherworld?

new6ton said:
Also what is the source of the Dark Side in Star Wars? Is it simply a Force (like May be the Force be with You?) or are they personalities trapped in the netherworld?
I'm confused about what you mean :oldconfused:.

My impression/interpretation is that the Force can be used for good or evil. When you use it for good, that is the light side. When you use it for evil, that is the dark side.

And as Yoda elegantly said:
"Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering."

DennisN said:
I'm confused about what you mean :oldconfused:.

My impression/interpretation is that the Force can be used for good or evil. When you use it for good, that is the light side. When you use it for evil, that is the dark side.

And as Yoda elegantly said:
"Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering."

Do you have more stuff like it? When Anakin was young, certain senior Jedi alway warned he had something in the unconscious or subconscious that could lure toward the dark side. And he was right.

Carl Gustav Jung once said “One does not become enlightened by imagining figures of light, but by making the darkness conscious.”

I guess he meant one must not suppressed one's darkness because it can come out anytime, so in purification, one must integrate and banish it without suppression.

In Star Wars The Last Jedi, or was it the one before it. There was a kid near the end who can move broom. So the Jedi Force is in everyone.

Also if you will ponder on it. The Force can affect Anakin or Rey or related to their innermost thoughts and feelings. This shows our thought and feelings have energetic components and not just interplay of neurons!

Therefore the Force can manifest in anyone. And it is even possible for an entire planet where the Force can reach all. Therefore the more we must master purification. Please share more of Yoda stuff and wisdom. I have been pondering it for an hour or two after your post.

I hope Rey can be lure to the Light side and not Dark side. Will this be revealed in December 20, 2019. Does she have any internal conflict like Anakin? I want Rey to be my hero and mentor. Instead of Yoda.

new6ton said:
Do you have more stuff like it?
Yes. :smile: All the training scenes with Yoda and Luke Skywalker in The Empire Strikes Back contains the essential lore of the Force, the light side and the dark side.

E.g.

Yoda said:
You will know (the good from the bad) when you are calm, at peace. Passive. A Jedi uses the Force for knowledge and defense, never for attack.

Clip:
Edit:
new6ton said:
Carl Gustav Jung once said “One does not become enlightened by imagining figures of light, but by making the darkness conscious.”

I guess he meant one must not suppressed one's darkness because it can come out anytime, so in purification, one must integrate and banish it without suppression.

A very good catch! In my opinion, there are similarities between the ideas of the dark side of the Force and the concept of Shadow in Jungian psychology.

Wikipedia said:
Carl Jung stated the shadow to be the unknown dark side of the personality.

Regarding Jung and psychology, there were many things that Jung wrote that I don't think are useful in modern psychology. But the concept of the "shadow" side of personalities I think is very interesting and useful as a concept.

Last edited:
DennisN said:
Yes. :smile: All the training scenes with Yoda and Luke Skywalker in The Empire Strikes Back contains the essential lore of the Force, the light side and the dark side.

E.g.
Clip:

Ok. I'm grasping it now.

The Force is a double edge sword. I bet any Jedi who encountered the Force got his mind and emotion amplified. So if there is a flaw. It gets magnified dozens of folds. This is because part of the make up of the mind and emotion (energy in motion) is partly due to minimum level of the Force which is a sentient substance (therefore don't equate it to our nonsentient forces like electromagnetic force, weak force, strong force, and gravitational force).

Remember Anakin? If he didn't focus on the Force and got his Jedi traning. I bet he would grow up to be normal (not evil or a killer).

So if one is not ready. Don't entertain the Force or it can consume you.

Many people I know went into the downward path and become severely imbalance or even damaged because of trying to touch aspect of the Force.

One must focus on purification first. This is the hardest. Only the most pure in heart can tame it. Can Rey tame it? We will know in December 20.

Why did they coincide the opening of the movie near the holidays? Won't it affect the grosses and box office? People are into Santa Clause then, not Jedis.

I tried to google "Jedi Academy". Which Star Wars movies mentioned it? And are there really Star Wars books that are not in the movies or with separate story lines? This is the entry for example in:

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Jedi_academy
"Jedi academies were established to train Force-sensitive beings accepted into the Jedi Order in the ways of the Force.
Overseen by the Council of First Knowledge, each academy was governed by an advisory Council appointed by their superiors on Coruscant. Mainstreaming the majority of teachings at the Temple, certain practices were permitted to vary from world to world. However, at all sanctioned academies, a group of Jedi Masters would instruct Initiates to the Order in the ways of the Force. The size of the school varied from world to world: some as small as a single clan of younglings, others as large as the main academy housed within the Jedi Temple of Coruscant. Many academies had been established during the Old Sith Wars and were located in the Galactic Rim. Some were located on or near Force wellsprings or places significant to the Order like crystal caves or nexuses of dark-side energies that needed constant monitoring.[1]"

I like the concept of Jedi Academy better. This is to make it modern concept. About 100 years ago. There was a similar movement that was similar to the Jedi Academy (see their punch line below). But at that time, Bohr was just starting and Planck didn't make the formula yet and no Schroedinger equation nor Dirac Equation yet. Now only the Jedi Academy sound modern and we need to upgrade.

"There is a road, steep and thorny, beset with perils of every kind, but yet a road, and it leads to the very heart of the Universe: I can tell you how to find those who will show you the secret gateway that opens inward only, and closes fast behind the neophyte for evermore. There is no danger that dauntless courage cannot conquer; there is no trial that spotless purity cannot pass through; there is no difficulty that strong intellect cannot surmount. For those who win onwards there is reward past all telling—the power to bless and save humanity; for those who fail, there are other lives in which success may come."

I just saw that short TV spot has been released:
(it looks like it's going to be a very visually fine movie)

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker | “End” TV Spot

I just saw an interview with Daisy Ridley on the Jimmy Fallon show, and they showed a scene from the upcoming movie. Here it is:

This was my favorite of the new trilogy. Just turn off your brain and enjoy it.

• Haha
Likes DennisN

1. What is the release date for Star Wars Episode 9 - The Rise of Skywalker?

The release date for Star Wars Episode 9 - The Rise of Skywalker is December 20, 2019.

2. Who is directing Star Wars Episode 9 - The Rise of Skywalker?

The director for Star Wars Episode 9 - The Rise of Skywalker is J.J. Abrams, who also directed Star Wars Episode 7 - The Force Awakens.

3. Will Carrie Fisher appear in Star Wars Episode 9 - The Rise of Skywalker?

Yes, Carrie Fisher will appear in Star Wars Episode 9 - The Rise of Skywalker through unused footage from previous films. The filmmakers have stated that they will not use CGI to recreate her character, Princess Leia.

4. Is Star Wars Episode 9 - The Rise of Skywalker the last Star Wars movie?

No, Star Wars Episode 9 - The Rise of Skywalker is not the last Star Wars movie. Disney has announced plans for future Star Wars films, including a new trilogy from Rian Johnson and a series of films from Game of Thrones creators, David Benioff and D.B. Weiss.

5. Will there be any new characters in Star Wars Episode 9 - The Rise of Skywalker?

Yes, there will be new characters in Star Wars Episode 9 - The Rise of Skywalker. One of the new characters is Jannah, played by Naomi Ackie, who is a former stormtrooper. Another new character is Zorri Bliss, played by Keri Russell, who is a scoundrel from Poe Dameron's past.