Which Language Handles Thread Operations Better for File Manipulation?

In summary, the conversation is about a request for someone to write a program that creates 5 threads to share a file, with even threads writing to the file and odd threads deleting from it. The program needs to cycle through 5 threads for 10 times and ensure there are no race conditions. The request is for someone to help with writing the program, which appears to be a demonstration of knowledge of using a mutex. The requester mentions having finished a different program the previous night, with two more to go.
kings1703
Java or C++ - Threads HELP!

I need help with this program. I got five others to do and I won't have time to do it and it's apart of my final exam for next Tuesday, can somebody write this program:

Create 5 threads which share a file and
let "even" threads write to a file, and let "odd" delete from a file.
Cycle 5 threads for 10 times. Make sure final file gives correct output. (no race conditions)

Please help me out can someone write the program!

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

What exactly is your question? "Help me out" is not a very specific request.

The problem described appears to basically be a funny way of saying "Demonstrate you know how to use a mutex". The file described is a resource which needs to be protected by a mutex. The threads perform operations on this resource which they should hold the mutex in order to perform.

my question was can someone write this program, I just finished this phat *** program last night and I still got two more to go

Related to Which Language Handles Thread Operations Better for File Manipulation?

1. What is the difference between Java and C++ when it comes to threads?

Java and C++ both support multithreading, but the implementation and management of threads differs between the two languages. Java has a built-in Thread class that manages threads, while in C++, threads are managed through the use of libraries such as POSIX threads or Windows threads. Additionally, Java has a simpler and more streamlined approach to thread synchronization and communication compared to C++.

2. How do I create a thread in Java or C++?

In Java, you can create a thread by extending the Thread class or implementing the Runnable interface. In C++, threads are created using the std::thread class or by calling the pthread_create function if using POSIX threads.

3. How do I synchronize threads in Java or C++?

In Java, synchronization is achieved through the use of the synchronized keyword or by using the Lock and Condition interfaces. In C++, synchronization can be done using mutexes, semaphores, or atomic operations.

4. Can I have multiple threads accessing the same variable in Java or C++?

Yes, you can have multiple threads accessing the same variable in both Java and C++. However, it is important to properly synchronize access to the variable to avoid data races and ensure thread-safe operations.

5. What are some common pitfalls to watch out for when working with threads in Java or C++?

Some common pitfalls when working with threads include deadlocks, race conditions, and memory leaks. It is important to carefully design and test your code to avoid these issues. Additionally, it is important to properly handle any exceptions that may occur in your threads to avoid unexpected behavior.