Which Laptop Charger is More Efficient for a 65W Rated Laptop?

In summary, the two laptop chargers have different power ratings of 19V 2.64A and 19V 3.42A. The advantages of the 19V 3.42A charger over the 19V 2.64A charger depend on the power requirements of the laptop. If the laptop requires 65W, then the 19V 3.42A charger will work, but the 19V 2.64A charger may not be able to handle the current and could potentially fail. It is generally not recommended to run power supplies at higher than their rated currents. The best way to charge a Li-ion battery is externally with an intelligent charger with a timer. The laptop's power
selseg
A laptop charger rated 19V 2.64A and another rated 19V 3.42A what advantages would one have over the other.If I am using it for a laptop rated 65W

Engineering news on Phys.org
One will work, one won't, or will catch fire

65W is 19V at 3.4A

Potentially the 50W charger could be ruined. Your lap top may well be drawing more current then the rated power of the charger. It may work fine for short periods of time, but then it could also fail. Generally it is not a good idea to run power supplies at higher then rated currents.

You need the one which is suitable for the battery. Hard to say which one that would be. Depends on their characteristics . I thought Li-ion required constant current charging and the charger will produce that current and no more. The larger one will be faster. Depends on how good the lap top charge indicator is and I gather they are rather poor. I would have thought the best way to charge a Li-ion battery is externally with an good quality 'intelligent' charger with a timer.

The lap top power rating has no connection really with the charger rating.

The OP says laptop charger they probably mean the external power supply that runs the machine AND charges the battery rather than just a constant current battery charger.

Related to Which Laptop Charger is More Efficient for a 65W Rated Laptop?

1. What is the difference between a 50W and 65W laptop charger?

A 50W laptop charger can deliver a maximum power output of 50 watts, while a 65W laptop charger can deliver a maximum power output of 65 watts. This means that the 65W charger has a higher power output and can charge your laptop faster than the 50W charger.

2. Can I use a 65W charger for a laptop that requires a 50W charger?

Yes, you can use a 65W charger for a laptop that requires a 50W charger. The laptop will only draw the amount of power it needs, so using a higher wattage charger will not harm your laptop.

3. Is it safe to use a 50W charger for a laptop that requires a 65W charger?

It is generally not recommended to use a lower wattage charger for a laptop that requires a higher wattage charger. This can lead to slower charging times and potential damage to your laptop's battery.

4. How do I know if my laptop needs a 50W or 65W charger?

You can find this information on your laptop's user manual or by checking the label on your laptop's original charger. It will typically state the required wattage or voltage for your laptop.

5. Can using a 65W charger damage my laptop?

No, using a 65W charger will not damage your laptop as long as it is compatible with your laptop's voltage requirements. However, using a charger with a significantly higher wattage than your laptop requires can potentially damage your laptop's battery in the long run.