Which Math Topic Should I choose for Research

In summary, Discrete Markov Chains have a broad range of scientific applications, from physics to computer science to statistics to economics. Probability of binarity in a section of the sky is of particular interest to statisticians, as is the Half Normal Distribution. Taguchi Methods For Design of Experiments are very useful and are frequently used by engineers. The other topics above are all part of probability theory, which all play important roles in both physics and statistics.
wyattbohr
I am finishing up my undergraduate degree in Mathematics, for my last semester I need to choose a topic of research with a particular professor. I am interested in applied math, mostly mathematical physics but there are certain fields of math that may not seem like they relate to mathematical physics or any applicable field but still do in some way or another. Below I will list a number of research topics that are presented to us. I am hoping maybe or a few people can shed some light on which topics might be interesting in terms of practical use. -Discrete Markov Chains

-Logical Fallacies

-Polynomial rings and theorem proving in Euclidean geometry

-Selected Solutions of the Navier-Stokes Equations

-Solutions of the nonlinear Schrodinger equation

-Probability of binarity in a section of the sky

-Symmetries in the arbitrary quadrilateral

-The Weibull distribution and its applications

-The Half Normal Distribution

-The Folded Normal Distribution
(note these 2 are closely related where the 1
is a special case of the 2)

-Finding Parameters of a Nonlinear Combination Oliveri

-Taguchi Methods For Design of Experiments (applications and how they differ from
classical DOE designs)

Physics news on Phys.org
wyattbohr said:
Below I will list a number of research topics that are presented to us. I am hoping maybe or a few people can shed some light on which topics might be interesting in terms of practical use.
Depends on what you mean by "practical" A few things in there a quite interesting for physicists, and might be considered as "useful" for them, if nor "practical."

As someone who's worked with Bose-Einstein condensates, it is clear that I find "Solutions of the nonlinear Schrodinger equation" very interesting. "Selected Solutions of the Navier-Stokes Equations" is quite applied and could probably be considered "practical."

To the OP:

As a statistician I personally find the following topics on your list to be of particular interest:

-Discrete Markov Chains

-Probability of binarity in a section of the sky

-The Weibull distribution and its applications

-The Half Normal Distribution

-The Folded Normal Distribution
(note these 2 are closely related where the 1
is a special case of the 2)

-Taguchi Methods For Design of Experiments (applications and how they differ from
classical DOE designs)

Discrete Markov chains have a broad range of scientific applications from physics (where it appears extensively in thermodynamics and statistical mechanics; furthermore, the path integral formulation of quantum mechanics are Markov chains as well), computer science (where it is used in pattern recognition, information theory, speech recognition, and bioinformatics), statistics, economics, among many others.

As someone who is actively involved in the design of experiments, the Taguchi methods are very useful, and are frequently used by engineers, and likely useful for experimental physicists to know as well. The other topics above are all part of probability theory, which all play important roles in both physics and statistics, among other areas.

Do something of each time. Me, for example, I am an undegraduate major in Physics. I want to study Theorical Biophysics, Astrobiology, Epistemology, Science Communication, I want to do a second college in automotive engineering, and then, in philosophy. Do something of each time. if you are multi-task, you can do two postgraduates at the same time, if you see that will account, do two things. I have a friend of mine, who has a professor that give three different subjects. If you want to do all of this, try to do direct doctoral thesis (here in Brazil, there is this endeavor and it is a law).

If I were you since you like everything (like me, lol). I'll do each thing in each time (if you are acquainted with everything), or if I know something less than some other, I'll do what I more acquainted (I'm a freshman, I enter in 2018.1 in the college hehe).

I was thinking about to do the two things, Theorical Biophysics and Astrobiology (I want science communication too). Theorical Biophysics because I'm a fan of Biology and I want to do explain the biochemical ou biomechanical reações through the mathematics and Astrobiology I'm fascinated by life since I was a teenager. Do you have any academic advisor? Have you told this to your advisor? Maybe he can answered better than us, and sure, better than me hehe.

1. What factors should I consider when choosing a math topic for research?

When choosing a math topic for research, there are several factors to consider. These include your personal interests, the current state of research in the topic, the availability of resources and data, and the potential impact of the research on the field.

2. How do I know if a math topic is suitable for research?

A math topic is suitable for research if it is well-defined, has not been extensively studied, and has the potential to contribute new knowledge or insights to the field. It should also be a topic that you are passionate about and have the necessary background knowledge and skills to research.

3. Is it better to choose a broad or narrow math topic for research?

There is no right or wrong answer to this question. Both broad and narrow math topics can be suitable for research, depending on the specific research question and your research goals. A broad topic allows for a wider scope of research, while a narrow topic allows for a more focused and in-depth analysis.

4. How can I find potential research topics in math?

There are several ways to find potential research topics in math. You can start by reading recent publications in your field of interest, attending conferences and seminars, and discussing with your peers and professors. You can also consult with experts in the field or look for gaps in current research that you could potentially fill with your own research.

5. What resources are available to help me choose a math topic for research?

There are many resources available to help you choose a math topic for research. These include academic journals, online databases, research funding agencies, and professional organizations in your field. Your university or institution may also have resources such as research advisors or career counselors who can provide guidance and support in choosing a research topic.