Which mathematics courses would you recommend?

In summary, the conversation discusses recommended mathematics courses for an undergraduate interested in high energy/particle physics and cosmology, with a focus on obtaining a PhD. The courses mentioned include Linear Algebra I and II, Differential Geometry I and II, Partial Differential Equations, and Calculus of Variations and Integral Equations. The conversation also mentions the possibility of taking a graduate level course in Linear Algebra II and the differences between the two courses. The conclusion is that both courses are useful for a career in physics, with the theoretical course potentially providing more in-depth knowledge.
Entangled Cat
As a quick continuation of the question...what mathematics courses would you (preferably PhD or pursuing a PhD currently) recommend for an undergraduate? I'm interested in high energy/particle physics (I'm working in a lab this summer so we'll see how that goes) and cosmology (no actual experience or coursework experience, just self learning). I do plan on continuing to graduate school and obtaining a PhD although I'm not sure of what topic I want to pursue. Here are some of the courses that I will take for sure:

Linear Algebra I (I have already taken Elementary Linear Algebra)
Differential Geometry I and II
Partial Differential Equations
Calculus of Variations and Integral Equations

My university offers a graduate level course to undergraduates called Linear Algebra II. Here is the course description of Linear Algebra I:

Vector spaces, linear transformations, and matrices. Canonical forms, Determinants. Hermitian, unitary and normal transformations.

Compared to that of Linear Algebra II:

A theoretical course on the fundamental concepts and theorems of linear algebra. Topics covered are: vector space, basis, dimension, subspace, norm, inner product, Banach space, Hilbert space, orthonormal basis, positive definite matrix, minimal polynomial, diagonalization and other canonical forms, Cayley-Hamilton, spectral radius, dual space, quotient space.

Tell me straight; is Linear Algebra II a course worth taking? I am more than willing to provide course descriptions and course planning spreadsheets if necessary. Also, if you have a specific math course in mind, I would love to see if my university has it! So recommend away and I'll get back to you on whether or not it is offered!

Thanks,
Cameron

Physics news on Phys.org
There seems to be quite a lot of overlap between these courses, with one concentrating on linear algebra and the other branching into some analysis.

Both courses are useful. Physics uses a lot of linear algebra. It also uses a lot of infinite dimensional linear spaces. So, if you must chose between them rather than do both, it is a tough decision. I suspect that the theoretical course might turn out to teach you more.

The linear algebra course looks as if it is aimed principally at computer scientists, but I could be wrong. As a physicist, you should aim eventually to know the content of both courses. Physicists need to know everything.

1. What are the basic mathematics courses that every scientist should take?

As a scientist, I would recommend taking courses in calculus, linear algebra, statistics, and differential equations. These courses provide a strong foundation in mathematical concepts and are essential for many fields of science.

2. Are there any advanced mathematics courses that would be beneficial for a scientist?

Yes, there are many advanced mathematics courses that would be beneficial for a scientist, depending on their specific field of study. Some examples include complex analysis, abstract algebra, and numerical methods. These courses can help with more specialized research and problem-solving.

3. Are there any math courses that are particularly useful for certain areas of science?

Absolutely. Different areas of science may require different mathematical skills. For example, geometry and topology are important for physicists, while graph theory is useful for computer scientists. It's important to consider your specific field of study when choosing math courses.

4. Should I focus on theoretical or applied mathematics courses?

Both theoretical and applied mathematics courses can be useful for a scientist. Theoretical courses provide a deeper understanding of mathematical concepts, while applied courses focus on practical applications. It's important to have a balance of both in your coursework.

5. Are there any online or self-paced options for learning mathematics?

Yes, there are many online and self-paced options for learning mathematics. These can be a great option for those who prefer to work at their own pace or have a busy schedule. Just make sure to choose a reputable and accredited program to ensure the quality of education.