Which Object Will Roll Farther: Solid Cylinder or Hoop on an Incline?

In summary, a solid cylinder will roll down an incline faster than a hoop regardless of their mass or diameter due to the hoop having greater rotational inertia relative to its mass. When reaching the bottom and rolling on a flat surface, the hoop is likely to roll the farthest due to its higher rotational inertia. The amount of friction and air resistance are assumed to be the same for both objects. To determine which object will roll the farthest, the total energy of the hoop and solid cylinder can be calculated and compared, considering the source of that energy, as well as the factors of friction and air resistance.
Keissterr

Homework Statement

This is a question I have for a presentation on rotational motion: "A solid cylinder rolls down an incline faster than a hoop [or say an open cylinder], whether or not they have the same mass or diameter. The hoop has greater rotational inertia relative to its mass than a cylinder does." Now my question is when they reach the bottom of the incline to a flat surface, which one will roll the farthest? (if their masses are the same) Suppose the amount of friction and air resistance are the same for both.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm guessing that the hoop will since it has greater rotational inertia to keep it rolling, but another professor thinks it may be the solid cylinder.

Physics news on Phys.org
Keissterr said:
I'm guessing that the hoop will since it has greater rotational inertia to keep it rolling, but another professor thinks it may be the solid cylinder.

calculate the total energy of the hoop and the solid cylinder and see which is larger so one having the larger energy will traverse larger distance on the flat surface after completing the rolling down on the incline.

Likes Keissterr
drvrm said:
calculate the total energy of the hoop and the solid cylinder and see which is larger so one having the larger energy will traverse larger distance on the flat surface after completing the rolling down on the incline.
Better still, consider where that energy came from in the first place,
@Keissterr , you mentioned friction. I assume you meant rolling resistance.
With regard to drag (air resistance), it depends what you mean by being the same. Do you mean the same force, or the same coefficient but varying according to speed?

1. How does speed affect rotational inertia?

Rotational inertia is the resistance of an object to changes in its rotational motion. As an object's speed increases, its rotational inertia also increases. This means that it becomes more difficult to change the direction of an object's rotational motion at higher speeds.

2. What is the relationship between speed and rotational inertia?

The relationship between speed and rotational inertia is directly proportional. This means that as speed increases, rotational inertia also increases. Similarly, as speed decreases, rotational inertia decreases.

3. How does rotational inertia affect an object's stability?

Rotational inertia plays a crucial role in an object's stability. Objects with larger rotational inertia are more stable because they are harder to rotate or change the direction of their rotation. This is why a spinning top can maintain its balance for a longer time compared to a stationary top.

4. Does the shape of an object affect its rotational inertia?

Yes, the shape of an object can affect its rotational inertia. Objects with a larger radius have a higher rotational inertia compared to objects with a smaller radius. This is because a larger radius means that the mass is distributed further from the axis of rotation, making it more resistant to changes in rotational motion.

5. How can we calculate rotational inertia for different shapes?

The formula for calculating rotational inertia is I = mr², where I is the rotational inertia, m is the mass of the object, and r is the distance of the mass from the axis of rotation. For more complex shapes, the formula can be derived by dividing the object into small, elemental parts and adding up their individual rotational inertias using the formula for a point mass. Alternatively, there are tables available that provide the rotational inertia values for common shapes.