Which one of the GGA or G0W0 calculations is more accurate?

• A
  • Thread starter Mohammad-gl
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calculations
In summary, GGA and G0W0 are two methods used in quantum mechanical calculations to determine electronic structure. GGA is based on density functional theory, while G0W0 uses a perturbative approach. The accuracy of both methods depends on the system being studied and it is important to compare results. GGA is less computationally expensive and accounts for exchange-correlation effects, while G0W0 is more accurate in some cases. They can also be used together in hybrid functional calculations. Both methods have limitations, such as GGA not accurately describing strong correlation effects and G0W0 not being applicable to systems with large energy gaps. It is important to consider these limitations when choosing a method for a specific system.
Mohammad-gl
TL;DR Summary
I want to compare my tight binding results with DFT calculation. Which one GGA or G0W0 is more trustable to compare?
I want to compare my tight binding results with DFT calculation. Which one GGA or G0W0 is more trustable to compare?

Physics news on Phys.org
It really depends on what you’re interested in. If you’re looking for something like equilibrium geometry, GGA would probably be better. If you’re after accurate bandgaps, GW is probably better.

Likes Mohammad-gl
TeethWhitener said:
It really depends on what you’re interested in. If you’re looking for something like equilibrium geometry, GGA would probably be better. If you’re after accurate bandgaps, GW is probably better.
Thank you

1. What is the difference between GGA and G0W0 calculations?

Both GGA (Generalized Gradient Approximation) and G0W0 (Green's function and screened Coulomb interaction) calculations are methods used in computational chemistry to calculate the electronic structure of molecules. GGA is a density functional theory (DFT) method that approximates the exchange-correlation energy of the system, while G0W0 is a more advanced method that takes into account the many-body effects of the system.

2. Which one is more accurate, GGA or G0W0?

It is difficult to say definitively which method is more accurate, as it depends on the specific system being studied. In general, G0W0 calculations tend to be more accurate for systems with strong correlation effects, while GGA calculations may be more accurate for systems with weaker correlation effects.

3. How do GGA and G0W0 calculations differ in terms of computational cost?

GGA calculations are generally less computationally expensive than G0W0 calculations. This is because G0W0 calculations require the calculation of the self-energy, which can be a time-consuming process. However, with advances in computing power, the computational cost of G0W0 calculations has decreased in recent years.

4. Can GGA and G0W0 calculations be used together?

Yes, it is possible to combine GGA and G0W0 calculations in what is known as a hybrid method. This approach uses the GGA method to calculate the electronic structure of the system and then uses the G0W0 method to correct for any errors in the GGA calculation. This can improve the accuracy of the overall calculation.

5. Which method should I choose for my specific research project?

The choice of method depends on the specific system and research question being studied. It is important to consider the strengths and limitations of each method and consult with experts in the field to determine the best approach for your project. It may also be beneficial to perform calculations using both methods and compare the results to determine which is more accurate for your specific system.