Which path has the shortest time?

In summary, an object moves in one dimension and the speed of the object is given in the function of position. The whole time required to the object to finish the distance is equal to the sum of the distance travelled and the average velocity.
damnson2000
Guys I have the following homework problem to solve:
There are 2 given points in a plane. If we take a point-like object with mass m and take it to the "higher" point what path should it go on to reach the other point in the shortest possible time. Only gravitational force affects our point-like object.
My attempt to solution:

Let point A has (x1, f(x1)) and point B (x2, f(x2)) coordinates.

As we all know average velocity = whole distance/whole time, therefore whole time = whole distance/average velocity.
So we just have to calculate the components of the equation than plug in.

Average velocity:

First we need velocity in the function of position which can be calculated from potential energy difference.

ΔEpotential=ΔEkinetic
m*g*(f(x1)-f(x))=1/2*m*v2
so v2=2*g*(f(x1)-f(x))
therefore v or more likely v(x) =√(2*g*(f(x1)-f(x))) .

Now we have the velocity in the function of position, all we have to do is to calculate the average value of this function, which is

vaverage=∫x1x2√(2*g*(f(x1)-f(x))) dx / (x2 - x1)

Now we need the arc length of our f(x) curve in the intervall of x1 and x2.
so
swhole= ∫x1x2√(1+f2(x)) dx

Now divide the whole distance with average velocity:

twhole = swhole/vaverage

now we would have to take the quotient of these two expressions and solve its derivate for zero.

x1x2√(1+f2(x)) dx * (x2 - x1)​
d __________________________________ = 0
x1x2√(2*g*(f(x1)-f(x))) dx
_______
dx
But u haven't managed to find the solution of this equation and I am not even sure if my solution is wether correct or not.
If anyone has an idea how to solve this equation or have found a problem in my solution I am listening with open ears.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Is this a question that you made up yourself?

The question cannot be solved with the level of tools you use in your post. You'll need calculus of variations.

For the average velocity, you cannot integrate over x like you did, you have to integrate over time.

Likes PeroK
PeroK said:
Is this a question that you made up yourself?
No, as I said its homework.

mfb said:
The question cannot be solved with the level of tools you use in your post. You'll need calculus of variations.

For the average velocity, you cannot integrate over x like you did, you have to integrate over time.
Why? I have the velocitys in the function of position, so I integrated that way. Its basically continuous function which has an average value, that's what we need as i know.

damnson2000 said:
Why? I have the velocitys in the function of position, so I integrated that way. Its basically continuous function which has an average value, that's what we need as i know.
Travel 100 km at 50 km/h and 100 km at 350 km/h. What is your average velocity?
Your formula would suggest 200 km/h, but then you could travel the whole 200 km in just one hour - in reality the first part alone needs two hours. The total time is 2+(2/7) hours, and the average velocity is 87.5 km/h.
damnson2000 said:
No, as I said its homework.
Did you cover calculus of variations in your class?

Did you copy the exact homework problem word by word?

mfb said:
Travel 100 km at 50 km/h and 100 km at 350 km/h. What is your average velocity?
Your formula would suggest 200 km/h, but then you could travel the whole 200 km in just one hour - in reality the first part alone needs two hours. The total time is 2+(2/7) hours, and the average velocity is 87.5 km/h.Did you cover calculus of variations in your class?

Did you copy the exact homework problem word by word?
I copied it exactly, but we do not cover variations. Guess I just have to find another way to solve the problem. Thx for the help tho.

damnson2000 said:
I copied it exactly, but we do not cover variations. Guess I just have to find another way to solve the problem. Thx for the help tho.
The curve you seek is called a "brachistochrone". Try a Google search.

Guys i may have another idea to solve the problem, but in order to make sure my solution is right i need you guys to clarifai the following statements:
If an object moves in one dimension(line) and the speed of the object is given in the function of position the whole time required to the object to finish the distance is equal to:
0s(dx/v(x))
where s is the total distance that the object going to move, and v(x) is the speed in function of position.

mfb said:
That is correct.
By using the same method which I've used before I've got the following equation:
t= ∫x1x2√((1+f'(x)^2)/(2g(f(x)-f(x1)))dx ,
where t is the time required to finish the whole path.
So we need the find the minimal value of this expression with x1 and x2 fix parameters, which atm i don't know how should i do, but i'll keep on trying.

1. What is the shortest path?

The shortest path is the route that takes the least amount of time to reach a destination, compared to other possible routes.

2. How is the shortest path determined?

The shortest path is determined by calculating the time it takes to travel along different routes and selecting the route with the shortest time.

3. What factors affect the shortest path?

The factors that affect the shortest path include distance, speed, traffic, and any obstacles or road closures along the way.

4. Can the shortest path change over time?

Yes, the shortest path can change over time due to changes in traffic patterns, road closures, or construction projects that affect the route.

5. How accurate is the shortest path calculation?

The accuracy of the shortest path calculation depends on the quality of the data used for the calculation and any updates made to the data in real-time. It may also vary based on the method or algorithm used for the calculation.