Which Programming Language Should I Focus On?

In summary, if you want to become a competent programmer, you should learn three languages well. A good, well-documented, and fast compiled language, a good, well-documented, and fast interpreted language, and a good, well-documented, and full-featured interpreted language. My own preference would be to learn C++, Python, and Matlab.
Ed Aboud
Hi all. This question has probably been asked before but I couldn't find it so. Over the past year I have dabbled with a few programming languages such as C,C++ and perl. My question is, which one should I really focus on and why?
Thanks for any help.

Technology news on Phys.org
My personal opinion is that if one is interested in becoming a competent programmer for the purposes of, say, scientific computing or mathematical finance, then one should learn three languages well. Learn a good, well-documented, and fast compiled language. Learn a good, well-documented, and fast interpreted language. And learn a good, well-documented, and full-featured interpreted language. My own preference would be:

• Compiled language: C++. There's an argument to be made that a knowledge of C or F90 is useful for really low level stuff, but I've rarely found it necessary to use any other compiled language than C++. It's stable, fast, and there are some great compilers available for it. What's more, it's portable as can be if you're not silly about your code.
  • Fast interpreted language: Python. For far too many reasons to go into here, it really is a great language to know.
  • Full-featured interpreted language: Matlab. Yes, it's expensive as hell unless you get a student copy. Yes, the JVM makes the Matlab desktop slower than it needs to be. And yes, it's proprietary software. But none of that matters. It's the industry standard in areas like mathematical finance, it's got simply wonderful graphics-handling capabilities, and it comes with some seriously powerful toolboxes. The great thing is that you can call these features from C/C++ to combine speed and sophistication.

I might look into Ruby as your fast, high high level language. In Ruby, everything is an object, even literals, so you can strengthen your OO principles. I've found this helps reinforce my knowledge of the OO paradigm, and thus making me more proficient in C++. Ruby seems to be the up and coming thing. Plus, in Ruby is similar to perl.

Related to Which Programming Language Should I Focus On?

1. What are the most popular programming languages currently?

The most popular programming languages currently are Java, Python, JavaScript, C++, and C#.

2. What factors should I consider when choosing a programming language to focus on?

Some factors to consider when choosing a programming language include your goals and objectives, the job market and demand for the language, the ease of learning, and the compatibility with your current skills and interests.

3. Is there one "best" programming language to focus on?

No, there is no one "best" programming language. The best language for you will depend on your goals, interests, and the job market in your area.

4. Are there any programming languages that are becoming obsolete?

Yes, some programming languages are becoming obsolete as newer languages and technologies emerge. It's important to keep up with industry trends and continue learning new languages and skills.

5. Can I learn multiple programming languages at once?

Yes, it is possible to learn multiple programming languages at once. However, it's important to have a strong foundation in at least one language before branching out to others. It's also important to prioritize and set realistic goals for learning multiple languages simultaneously.