Which surfaces get positively charge by grabbing (static electricity)

In summary: Yes, connecting the batteries together may allow more of the electrons to move to the positive side, allowing the motor to run.
danielhaish
So is it becouse the material or becouse the fact that the balloon is the object that moves and the hair is static. and does every two objects that been grabed together will nacessrly continues each other.
and also why does the minos of a bttary doesn't stick to the flower

Physics news on Phys.org
you know why does the negative side of the battery doesn't create Electrical Polarization and stick to the
ceiling like a balloon?

danielhaish said:
you know why does the negative side of the battery doesn't create Electrical Polarization and stick to the
ceiling like a balloon?
The voltage difference necessary to get something to stick to the ceiling is typically in the thousands of volts. Luckily for us, the discharge current and amount of time is minimal. Batteries just don't have high enough voltage potential.

Likes danielhaish
Ok cool

danielhaish said:
Ok cool

Have you ever seen someone stick a magnet to a AA battery? My first guess would be that he used some magnets.

Take a look at this

Likes davenn
danielhaish said:
why does the minos of a bttary doesn't stick to the flower
The battery video is a Trick so the Physics of the situation that you 'see' is not right. As @scottdave suggests, there's probably a magnet stuck to the back of the fabric, somewhere.
It is possible that the plastic case of the batteries is a good enough insulator to allow it to be charged up electrically but they are too heavy for Electrostatic attraction to be enough. Magnets do the job much better.

I think i found my answer i made an experience I connect a motor to Minos of one battery and to the positive side of another battery and nothing happened until I connect the battery s together so the electrons in the battery moving only if you
Connect it to it possitive side

Last edited:
  • Sad
Likes Motore
So I assume that only small part of the elctrons move to the positive side an then the battery didn't recycled the the potential

• Sad
Likes Motore

1. How does static electricity work?

Static electricity is the result of an imbalance of electric charges within or on the surface of a material. When two objects come into contact, electrons can be transferred from one to the other, causing one object to become positively charged and the other to become negatively charged.

2. Which surfaces are more likely to get positively charged by grabbing?

Surfaces that are good insulators, such as rubber, plastic, and dry materials like hair and clothing, are more likely to become positively charged when rubbed or grabbed. This is because insulators do not allow electrons to flow easily, so they become positively charged when electrons are transferred to them.

3. Can metal surfaces get positively charged by grabbing?

Yes, metal surfaces can also become positively charged by grabbing. However, metals are good conductors and allow electrons to flow easily, so they are less likely to become charged in this way. They can become charged if they are insulated from the ground or other conductors.

4. How long does a surface stay positively charged after being grabbed?

The length of time a surface stays positively charged after being grabbed depends on various factors such as the type of material, humidity, and temperature. In dry conditions, the charge can last for a few minutes, but in humid conditions, the charge can dissipate quickly.

5. Can positively charged surfaces attract other objects?

Yes, positively charged surfaces can attract other objects. This is because opposite charges attract each other. For example, a positively charged balloon can attract small pieces of paper or hair due to the attraction between the positive charge on the balloon and the negative charge on the paper or hair.