Which theory or field can explain this?

In summary, the conversation discusses how photons from light sources such as light bulbs or the sun reach our eyes and allow us to see our surroundings. The speaker expresses an interest in understanding the factors that affect the path of photons, such as temperature and gravity. They also inquire about the relevant theories or fields of study that can help them predict the path of photons, including classical geometric optics and various branches of physics.
Christian Grey
Suppose I am in a room and light(photons) from the light bulb reach my eyes, or I am outside light(photons) from the sun reach my eyes and I am able to see the objects around me.

I want to know what factors affect the path of photons like temperature, gravity etc.I mean by knowing these factors I can predict the path of photon/photons.

And which theory or field can help me in this case? like Quantum field theory,Quantum mechanics etc or Condensed matter physics,Solid state physics, Particle physics,Astrophysics,Cosmology,High Energy Physics etc.

Physics news on Phys.org
You can ignore temperature and gravity. Classical geometric optics gives you all you need to find out about the paths of light (aka photons).

1. What is the difference between a theory and a field in science?

A theory is an explanation for a phenomenon or set of phenomena, backed by evidence and often tested through experiments. A field, on the other hand, is a broad area of study that encompasses multiple theories and related concepts. For example, evolutionary theory is one of many theories within the field of biology.

2. How do scientists determine which theory or field can explain a particular phenomenon?

Scientists use the scientific method to gather evidence and test hypotheses in order to determine which theory or field best explains a phenomenon. This involves making observations, formulating a hypothesis, conducting experiments, and analyzing data.

3. Can multiple theories or fields be used to explain a single phenomenon?

Yes, it is possible for multiple theories or fields to provide explanations for a single phenomenon. In fact, this is often the case in complex systems where multiple factors may contribute to a particular outcome.

4. Are theories and fields constantly evolving and changing in science?

Yes, theories and fields in science are constantly evolving as new evidence is discovered and old theories are refined or replaced. This is the nature of the scientific process, as scientists are always seeking to improve and expand our understanding of the natural world.

5. Is there one theory or field that can explain everything in science?

No, there is no single theory or field that can explain everything in science. Science is a vast and constantly expanding field, and different theories and fields are needed to explain different phenomena. However, there are overarching principles and theories that can help to connect and unify different areas of science.