White Dwarf Star Coupled Runge-Kutta

In summary, white dwarf stars are small, dense stars formed from the collapse of medium-sized stars. They are coupled with Runge-Kutta, a mathematical method used to solve differential equations. Coupling in white dwarf stars is significant as it allows for a more accurate understanding of their behavior. Runge-Kutta helps in studying these stars by providing numerical solutions to the coupled equations. However, there are limitations to using this method, such as numerical approximations and simplified equations. Despite these limitations, Runge-Kutta is an important tool in studying white dwarf stars and can provide valuable insights into their behavior.
snelson989

Homework Statement

Use a coupled fourth order Runge-Kutta, to find the structure of white dwarf stars.
I think I am applying the Runge-kutta method wrong?
Variables defined in C code notes

Homework Equations

Equations in c code. and in attached images.

The Attempt at a Solution

This is the code for running through the 4th order runge kutte once, I have not done this repeatedly yet, as the numbers I get for the first run are ridiculous.
I have used a non relativistic approximation.

double rho0, rho1, rho2, rho3, rho4, f0, f1, f2, f3, h=6.626068*pow(10,-34), me=9.10938188*pow(10,-31), mp=1.67262158*pow(10,-27), pi=3.14159265,
r0, r1, r2, r3, g0, g1, g2, g3, dr=1, rhoc, G=6.67300*pow(10,-11), m0, m1, m2, m3, m4;
/* rho# values of density for Runge-Kutta method.
f# values of the derivative of pressure with respect to density used in Runge-Kutta method.
me electron mass
mp photon mass
h Plancks constant
r# radii for Runge-Kutta method
g# derivative of mass with respect to radius for Runge-Kutta method.
dr increase in radius with Runge-Kutta step
drho increase in density with Runge-Kutta step.
rhoc central density
m# mass contained in the star integrated up to that point
G gravitational constant
*/

for( r0=pow(10,-10), rho0=pow(10,10), m0=(4/3)*pi*pow(10,-20); rho0>=0; rho0=rho4, r0=r3)
{
g0=4*pi*r0*r0*rho0;
f0=(-1*(48*me*(pow(mp,(5/3))))/(h*h*(pow(2,1/3))*(pow((3*rho0/pi),(2/3)))))*G*rho0*m0/(r0*r0);

r1=r0+dr/2;
r2=r0+dr/2;
r3=r0+dr;

m1=m0+g0*dr/2;
rho1=rho0+f0*dr/2;
g1=4*pi*r1*r1*rho1;
f1=(-1/(h*h*(pow(2,1/3))*(pow((3*rho1/pi),(2/3)))/(48*me*(pow(mp,(5/3))))))*G*rho1*m1/(r1*r1);

m2=m0+g1*dr/2;
rho2=rho0+f1*dr/2;
g2=4*pi*r2*r2*rho2;
f2=(-1/(h*h*(pow(2,1/3))*(pow((3*rho2/pi),(2/3)))/(48*me*(pow(mp,(5/3))))))*G*rho2*m2/(r2*r2);

m3=m0+g2*dr/2;
rho3=rho0+f2*dr/2;
g3=4*pi*r3*r3*rho2;
f3=(-1/(h*h*(pow(2,1/3))*(pow((3*rho3/pi),(2/3)))/(48*me*(pow(mp,(5/3))))))*G*rho3*m3/(r3*r3);

m4=m0+(g0+2*g1+2*g2+g3)*dr/6;
rho4=rho0+(f0+2*f1+2*f2+f3)*dr/6;
printf("%f\n%f\n%f\n%f\n%f\n%f\n%f\n%f\n%f\n%f\n%f\n%f\n%f\n%f\n%f\n%f\n%f\n%f\n%f\n", rho0, rho1, rho2, rho3, rho4, f0, f1, f2, f3, r0, r1, r2, r3, g0, g1, g2, g3, m0, m1, m2, m3, m4);
system("PAUSE");
}

fprintf(fout,"%f\t%f\t%f\n", m4, rho4, r3);
system("PAUSE");
exit(0);
}

Attachments

• ScreenHunter_01 Oct. 17 18.45.gif
    ScreenHunter_01 Oct. 17 18.45.gif
    1.3 KB · Views: 488
  • ScreenHunter_02 Oct. 17 18.45.gif
    ScreenHunter_02 Oct. 17 18.45.gif
    1.2 KB · Views: 508
  • ScreenHunter_03 Oct. 17 18.45.gif
    ScreenHunter_03 Oct. 17 18.45.gif
    772 bytes · Views: 519
Physics news on Phys.org
First off, you are not writing in C. You are writing in C-tran.

That, however, is not your problem.

One problem is that 2/3 = 1/3 = 0.

Another is that your expression for f0 looks very different from your expressions for f1, f2, and f3.

D H said:
First off, you are not writing in C. You are writing in C-tran.

That, however, is not your problem.

One problem is that 2/3 = 1/3 = 0.

Another is that your expression for f0 looks very different from your expressions for f1, f2, and f3.

thankyou, I assume that I need to define the fractions as floats or doubles.
however I think that although the functions for f0 etc look different I have simply swapped a pow(x,-1) for explicitly doing that operation, although I may well be wrong I have changed many functions in an a ttempt to isolate the problem.

Thankyou You've finally solve a weeks anguish of me struggling with this.

You're welcome.

It is your willy-nilly usage of pow() that made me say you are writing C-tran. That C has a pow() function as opposed to an exponential operator is one of the key weaknesses of C/C++ when it comes to scientific computing. pow(a,b) is typically evaluated as exp(b*ln(a)). The function is something to avoid if at all possible.

I am impressed by your use of the Runge-Kutta method to study the structure of white dwarf stars. However, I noticed that you have used a non-relativistic approximation in your code. While this may be a good starting point, I would suggest considering the effects of relativity in your calculations as they may play a significant role in the structure of white dwarf stars. Additionally, have you considered incorporating other important factors such as temperature and composition into your equations? These can greatly affect the behavior of white dwarf stars and should be taken into account in your calculations. I would also recommend running your code repeatedly to see if the results converge to more reasonable values. Overall, your approach seems promising and I look forward to seeing the results of your calculations. Best of luck in your research!

Related to White Dwarf Star Coupled Runge-Kutta

1. What is a white dwarf star?

A white dwarf star is a small, dense star that is formed when a medium-sized star, like the sun, runs out of fuel and begins to collapse. It is composed mainly of carbon and oxygen and has a diameter that is only about 1/100th of the sun's.

2. How is a white dwarf star coupled with Runge-Kutta?

Runge-Kutta is a mathematical method used to solve differential equations, which are equations that describe how a system changes over time. In the case of a white dwarf star, the equations used to model its behavior are coupled, meaning they are interdependent and cannot be solved separately. Runge-Kutta is used to solve these coupled equations and provide a more accurate prediction of the star's behavior.

3. What is the significance of coupling in white dwarf stars?

Coupling in white dwarf stars is significant because it allows us to get a more accurate understanding of their behavior. These stars are complex systems and their behavior cannot be accurately predicted by solving individual equations. By coupling the equations and using methods like Runge-Kutta, we can better understand how these stars evolve and eventually become white dwarfs.

4. How does Runge-Kutta help us study white dwarf stars?

Runge-Kutta is a powerful mathematical tool that allows us to solve complex differential equations and obtain numerical solutions. By using this method to solve the coupled equations that describe white dwarf stars, we can get a better understanding of their evolution, internal structure, and other important characteristics. This information can then be compared to observations and simulations to further our understanding of these stars.

5. Are there any limitations to using Runge-Kutta to study white dwarf stars?

While Runge-Kutta is a useful tool, it does have its limitations. The method is based on numerical approximations, which means that the solutions obtained may not be completely accurate. Additionally, the coupled equations used to model white dwarf stars are still simplified versions of the complex reality, so there may be some discrepancies between the predictions and observations. However, Runge-Kutta remains an important tool in studying these stars and can provide valuable insights into their behavior.