Who are the top 10 Nobel Prize-winning physicists?

• Thread starter Ernest S Walton
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discussed the top 10 Nobel prize-winning physicists, including names such as Einstein, Heisenberg, Bohr, Planck, and more. The conversation also mentioned the difficulty in choosing just 10 physicists and potentially including others like Ernest Rutherford and Born. The criteria for choosing the top 10 was not explicitly stated.
Ernest S Walton
So there are now exactly 200 Nobel prize-winning physicists...

Here is my top 10 -

Einstein
Heisenberg
N Bohr
Planck
Schrodinger
Fermi
Feynman
Dirac
Lorentz
Pauli

Physics news on Phys.org
You might want to add Ernest Rutherford. Although he won for chemistry/"stamp collecting", his work was in physics.

AM

Ernest S Walton said:
So there are now exactly 200 Nobel prize-winning physicists...

Here is my top 10 -

Einstein
Heisenberg
N Bohr
Planck
Schrodinger
Fermi
Feynman
Dirac
Lorentz
Pauli

What characteristics actually qualified them to be in your "top 10"? The size of their noses? The length of their hair? Or how adorable they were?

Zz.

Andrew Mason said:
You might want to add Ernest Rutherford. Although he won for chemistry/"stamp collecting", his work was in physics.

AM

Yes indeed, and it was also difficult to leave out Born, Gell-Mann, Bardeen among others.

ZapperZ said:
What characteristics actually qualified them to be in your "top 10"? The size of their noses? The length of their hair? Or how adorable they were?

Zz.

I hope your other 30,532 posts are not quite so imbecilic.

Ernest S Walton said:
I hope your other 30,532 posts are not quite so imbecilic.

No, some of them were worse. It depends on the level of the topic. I'm very adaptable.

So you did not think my question was even with answering?

We have had many people asking for "best physicist" etc., and the issue had always been what CRITERIA does one use to decide or judge such a thing. It seems that the list you made appear to be rather arbitrary if you do not include how you decide who to include.

So was it?

Zz.

Likes Astronuc and dlgoff

1. Who are the top 10 Nobel Prize-winning physicists?

The top 10 Nobel Prize-winning physicists are:

• Albert Einstein
  • Marie Curie
  • Isaac Newton
  • Max Planck
  • Ernest Rutherford
  • Niels Bohr
  • Werner Heisenberg
  • Richard Feynman
  • Steven Weinberg
  • Shuji Nakamura

2. How many Nobel Prizes have been awarded in physics?

As of 2021, there have been 116 Nobel Prizes awarded in physics.

3. Who was the first woman to win the Nobel Prize in physics?

The first woman to win the Nobel Prize in physics was Marie Curie in 1903 for her research on radioactivity.

4. What is the most common research area among the top 10 Nobel Prize-winning physicists?

The most common research area among the top 10 Nobel Prize-winning physicists is quantum mechanics, with 6 out of the 10 laureates having made significant contributions in this field.

5. Has anyone won multiple Nobel Prizes in physics?

Yes, only two individuals have won multiple Nobel Prizes in physics: Marie Curie (1903 and 1911) and John Bardeen (1956 and 1972).