Who used projectile motion to find a muzzle velocity?

In summary, the conversation discusses a class lab where three different methods were used to find the muzzle velocity of a dart gun. These methods included shooting the gun straight up and down, using a car on a frictionless air track, and positioning the gun a certain distance from a wall. The individual mentions that these experiments have been done before in history but they are having trouble finding information on them. Another person in the conversation mentions that they have also done these labs in a mechanics class and that it is a way to practice solving projectile motion problems with different initial variables. The conversation ends with a question about who in history has done these labs or similar ones.
rad5brandon
So, in a class, we did an open-ended lab to find the muzzle velocity of a dart gun firing. We used three different methods:
1. shooting the gun straight up and down, and calculating the V, when y=0

2. placing a car on a (nearly) frictionless air track, and shooting the dart into it, having an initial velocity of 0 and an equation where momentum is conserved.

3. Positioning a dart gun a certain distance (x) from a wall, firing it, and measuring the y. Using that, plugging it into find a Vi.

Apparently, these have all been done before in history, but either I'm not looking in the right place, or someone is messing with me. Have these experiments been done in some form in the past, or is this a dumbed down physics lab? Nothing I looked for is turning up positive

Physics news on Phys.org
I have done all of these labs in one of my mechanics classes. Its just getting you used to solving a projectile motion problem with different initial variables. Do you have a problem or question with the lab?

Yes, who in history did the labs, or some form of them?

Related to Who used projectile motion to find a muzzle velocity?

What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object through the air or space under the influence of gravity. It follows a curved path known as a parabola.

How is projectile motion used in finding muzzle velocity?

Projectile motion can be used to find the muzzle velocity, or initial velocity, of a projectile by analyzing its trajectory and the distance it travels in a given time.

Who first used projectile motion to find a muzzle velocity?

The first known use of projectile motion to find a muzzle velocity was by Galileo Galilei in the late 16th and early 17th centuries.

What are some real-world applications of projectile motion?

Some real-world applications of projectile motion include sports such as basketball and baseball, where projectiles are thrown or hit, and in physics experiments to study the motion of objects.

What factors affect the accuracy of using projectile motion to find a muzzle velocity?

The accuracy of using projectile motion to find a muzzle velocity can be affected by factors such as air resistance, wind, and the shape and weight of the projectile.