Who was Deborah Jin and why is her passing a loss for physics?

• News
  • Thread starter ZapperZ
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rip
  • Featured
In summary, Deborah Jin, a prominent physicist who worked at the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST), died after a long battle with cancer.
ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
It is with great sadness that the woman who I thought would eventually win the Nobel Prize in Physics, Deborah Jin, has passed away this past Sept. 15, after a battle with cancer.

https://jila.colorado.edu/news/deborah-jin-dies-47

This one will truly hurt. She was in the prime of her life and her career. The Nobel Committee missed a tremendous opportunity to award a deserving physicist of her prize.

Zz.

Likes Monsterboy, collinsmark and Fervent Freyja
Physics news on Phys.org
:frown:

Likes PAllen
my bet was on her to win this year..., lost that $10. NIST lost two phenomenal female physicists between her and Katherine Gebbie in a month.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd never heard of her until yesterday, so I watched a one hour lecture where she discussed her research:

Newton Lecture 2014: Professor Deborah Jin

Although the audio for the guy introducing her is terrible, her microphone worked fine. She starts around 6:15 in the video.

Well worth the watch.
I'm not sure I've ever watched a video before, where someone describes the details behind quantum experiments.

Likes weezy, Redbelly98, TheCanadian and 3 others
oh I hate cancer! She was so young! :cry:

Likes weezy, Spinnor, davenn and 1 other person
We truly lost a great physicist! :frown:

Debbie helped quite a bit with the REU program at CU while I was there. As a female, she is my role model. As a physicist, she is my role model. As a person, she is my role model. As all of the above, well... the world truly lost someone great.

Likes vanhees71, DrClaude, mheslep and 2 others
She was my classmate in grad school... but I didn't really know her.
In recent years, she was on my radar as someone to invite to give a seminar to our majors. (Thanks @OmCheeto for the link to her talk.)
R.I.P.

Likes weezy, NathanaelNolk, vanhees71 and 3 others
Truly sorry for Deborah Jin, even though I don't know her. May God rest her soul peacefully.

I saw her give a talk at a conference around 1997. If I recall correctly, she had recently transitioned from post doc to permanent staff at NIST, and it was pretty clear she was a rising star in physics.

What I remember from her talk was her proposal to use lithium for laser cooling & trapping experiments. Since it has both bosonic and fermionic isotopes in abundance, she would be able to study both types of particle using the same experimental setup.

What a loss.

Likes Doc Al, Stephanus and Greg Bernhardt
Dr Transport said:
my bet was on her to win this year..., lost that $10. NIST lost two phenomenal female physicists between her and Katherine[-1 sp] Gebbie in a month.
Thank you for pointing out Katharine. I'd never heard of her either. So I watched a video about her, also.

Katharine Blodgett Gebbie: A Tribute

This video tribute to legendary NIST laboratory director Katharine Blodgett Gebbie was produced in late 2015 when the most advanced laboratory building at the NIST campus in Boulder, Colo., the Katharine Blodgett Gebbie Laboratory, was named in her honor.​

When I saw that Deborah Jin described her as "brilliant", I kind of decided I should research her further.

Her interview made me very sad, that I never got to meet her. She and I have a lot in common*.

Katharine Blodgett Gebbie: In Her Own Words

Published on Aug 18, 2016
National Institute of Standards and Technology
Katharine Blodgett Gebbie, former director of NIST's Physical Measurement Laboratory, talks about her life and her career in science.​

*Ok. about the only thing she and I have in common, is, after two shots of scotch, we do things, that make us pull the covers over our heads when in bed, thinking; "What have I done!" :biggrin:

RIP

ZapperZ said:
It is with great sadness that the woman who I thought would eventually win the Nobel Prize in Physics, Deborah Jin, has passed away this past Sept. 15, after a battle with cancer.

https://jila.colorado.edu/news/deborah-jin-dies-47

This one will truly hurt. She was in the prime of her life and her career. The Nobel Committee missed a tremendous opportunity to award a deserving physicist of her prize.

Zz.
Thank you for the post Zz. A very sad occurrence, a loss to all of us.

rude man aka rudy dankwort

What was Deborah Jin known for in the scientific community?

Deborah Jin was known for her groundbreaking research in the field of ultracold gases and atomic physics. She was a leader in the development of a new field of research called "quantum simulation" which uses ultracold atoms to study complex quantum systems.

What were some of Deborah Jin's notable achievements?

Deborah Jin's notable achievements include creating the world's first gas of fermionic molecules, achieving the first quantum degenerate mixture of two different atomic species, and producing the world's first ultra-cold dipolar gas. She also received numerous awards and honors for her work, including the prestigious MacArthur Fellowship.

What impact did Deborah Jin's research have on the scientific community?

Deborah Jin's research had a significant impact on the scientific community, particularly in the field of ultracold gases. Her work opened up new avenues of research and contributed to a better understanding of quantum systems. She also inspired and mentored numerous students and researchers, leaving a lasting impact on the field.

What was Deborah Jin's background and education?

Deborah Jin received her undergraduate degree in physics from Princeton University and her PhD from the University of Chicago. She then worked as a postdoctoral researcher at JILA before becoming a fellow and later a senior scientist at the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST). She was also a professor of physics at the University of Colorado Boulder.

What was the cause of Deborah Jin's passing?

Deborah Jin passed away in 2016 at the age of 47 due to cancer. Her passing was a great loss to the scientific community, but her legacy and contributions continue to inspire and shape the field of ultracold gases and atomic physics.