Who was Simon Wiesenthal and What Impact Did He Have?

• News
  • Thread starter arildno
  • Start date
In summary, Simon Wiesenthal was a respected and tireless Nazi-hunter who never engaged in demonization or witch-hunts. His death at the age of 96 is a loss, but his legacy of seeking justice and bringing war criminals to court will be remembered. However, there are criticisms of his methods and motives, including accusations of profiting from his work and impeding the cause of seeking justice for Holocaust victims. Some also believe that his actions may have given ammunition to revisionists who deny the Holocaust. Overall, whether one views him as a hero or a controversial figure, Simon Wiesenthal's impact on history cannot be denied.
arildno
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
One of those individuals I have respected the most, is now dead, aged 96.
Simon Wiesenthal, who lost most of his family in the Nazi death-camps was a tireless searcher for justice, and brought many war criminals to court.

At the same time, he never fell into unjust demonization of others; he was thoroughly civilized and never engaged in frenzied witch-hunts.

I'm saddened by our loss, but grateful for what he has meant to all of us.

Here's a CNN article:
http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/09/20/obit.wiesenthal/index.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Good riddance.

Last edited:
stoned said:
Good riddance.

Yeah, those poor nazis never stood a chance.

I think his greatest contribution was to instil in would be mass murderers the fear that war criminals will be punished no matter how long it takes. Without him I doubt that would be the case today.

We just talk about respectable people when they die!:frown:

TRCSF said:
Yeah, those poor nazis never stood a chance.

Pffffwew, a relief. Thought he'd get me one day :devil: :devil:

TRCSF said:
Wow, Smurf, I didn't know that greedy Jewish holocaust survivor was in the nazi-hunting business for the money.
If the criticisms are true then he has apparently impeded the very cause that he has been working toward without apology. He has also very likely given ammunition to the revisionists to persuade even more idiots into believing them. AND the making money off of this is really just the kicker.

TheStatutoryApe said:
If the criticisms are true then he has apparently impeded the very cause that he has been working toward without apology.
Which there really isn't a very solid case for
He has also very likely given ammunition to the revisionists to persuade even more idiots into believing them.
Which is really what I'm worried about. Frankly I couldn't really care less if a few ex-nazi's got pulled out of their retirement homes in South America, but rewriting history in your own view is inexcusable.

Related to Who was Simon Wiesenthal and What Impact Did He Have?

1. What is the significance of Simon Wiesenthal's death?

Simon Wiesenthal was a Holocaust survivor and renowned Nazi hunter who dedicated his life to seeking justice for the victims of the Holocaust. His death marks the end of an era and a loss for the Jewish community and the world.

2. How did Simon Wiesenthal die?

Simon Wiesenthal passed away of natural causes at the age of 96 on September 20, 2005 in Vienna, Austria.

3. What were Simon Wiesenthal's achievements?

Simon Wiesenthal was a Holocaust survivor who devoted his life to tracking down Nazi war criminals and bringing them to justice. He founded the Jewish Documentation Center in Vienna and helped bring over 1,100 Nazi criminals to trial.

4. How did Simon Wiesenthal's work impact the world?

Simon Wiesenthal's tireless efforts to pursue justice for the victims of the Holocaust brought awareness to the atrocities committed during World War II. His work also played a significant role in holding Nazi war criminals accountable for their actions.

5. What is Simon Wiesenthal's legacy?

Simon Wiesenthal's legacy is one of courage, perseverance, and dedication to seeking justice. He inspired countless individuals to never forget the horrors of the Holocaust and to stand up against injustice and hate. His work continues to be remembered and honored by many around the world.