Why 8 Bits = 1 Byte? LED Display & Parity Bit

• Thread starter frenzal_dude
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bits
In summary: The IBM PC had 16-bit words. ASCII was originally 7 bit code. The EBCDIC code is 8 bit code. UTF-8 is 8 bit code, UTF-16 is 16 bit code.
frenzal_dude
I know that one character is one byte, and that is 7 bits + 1 parity bit.

Is it made up of 7 bits because on an LED display the figure 8 is made up of 7 segments?

Technology news on Phys.org
frenzal_dude said:
I know that one character is one byte,
One character is one byte because, when they decided, they figured 256 (2^8) characters was all they'd need.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byte
frenzal_dude said:
and that is 7 bits + 1 parity bit.
No. Only in applications where they decide they they need a parity bit.
frenzal_dude said:
Is it made up of 7 bits because on an LED display the figure 8 is made up of 7 segments?

No.

DaveC426913 said:
One character is one byte because, when they decided, they figured 256 (2^8) characters was all they'd need.

actually, i think they originally thought they only needed 128 characters. that's what the original ASCII code is. before that there were 6-bit codes that had fewer characters.

i think that when they realized they needed more than 64 chars (6 bits) to get all of the lower case, upper case, numerals, punctuation, and control characters they needed, they figured why not go to 8 (a handy power of two) and sometimes they used that 8th bit for parity and sometimes they used it for an extension to the ASCII standard. and sometimes they just set the 8th bit to zero.

Last edited:
rbj said:
actually, i think they originally thought they only needed 128 characters. that's what the original ASCII code is. before that there were 6-bit codes that had fewer characters

You are showing your age you know? :biggrin:

dlgoff said:
You are actually showing your age by jumping in and helping out on this one. I tend to try to stay out of these, if I can.

turbo said:
You are actually showing your age by jumping in and helping out on this one. I tend to try to stay out of these, if I can.
Another old man. :grumpy:

Edit: BTW Grumpy comes with the territory. Just sayin'.

Last edited:
[geezer voice]6 bits. Hmph. Why, I remember when bytes were 2 bits.[/geezer voice]

dlgoff said:

okay, so how old am i?

:-)

DaveC426913 said:
[geezer voice]6 bits. Hmph. Why, I remember when bytes were 2 bits.[/geezer voice]

?

i thought it was 2 nibbles per byte, not the other way around??

so, Dave, who can out geezer the other?

(i remember when either JFK bought it.)

rbj said:
okay, so how old am i?

:-)

Not old enough evidently. :rolleyes:

DaveC426913 said:
And you had to walk uphill to school and back home every-day all winter...

Uphill both ways!

rbj said:
?

i thought it was 2 nibbles per byte, not the other way around??

so, Dave, who can out geezer the other?

(i remember when either JFK bought it.)

That's how I remember it, too. I also remember the 39bit word - for two 18bit instructions with a B line modifier bit.

Haha - i can't remember what i had for breakfast yesterday - was it 2 nibbles of toast or a byte.

[Showing my age] . When IBM first introduced the 360 series of computers, it decreed that a byte should be 8 bits. Before then it had been 6 bits.

I always assumed it was because of the rhyme, you know:

Two bits, four bits, six bits, a dollar...

There's alway's wiki (plus I'm an old guy that remembers some of this):

baudot which eventually evolved into ITA2 / USTTY - 5 bit code:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baudot_code

CDC display code - 6 bit code, actually stored as 6 bit characters in 24 bit, 48 bit, and 60 bit words on CDC computers:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CDC_display_code

IBM 1400 BCD - 6 bit code (but stored in 8 bit bytes):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_1401

ASCII - originally 7 bit code:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ASCII

EBCDIC - 8 bit code:

wiki EBCDIC.html

UTF-8 - 8 bit code, UTF-16 - 16 bit code:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unicode

Trivia - CDC 6600 / 7600 had 60 bit words (+ 4 bits of parity). CDC 3000 series had 24 bit and 48 bit word size. CDC Star had true 64 bit words. IBM 360 -> 390 had 32 bit words. Most of the old mini-computers had 16 bit word size (Computer Automation, Data General Nova, HP 2100 series, IBM 1130, Micro Systems, Varian Data Machines, ...)

Last edited:
The Digital Equipment PDP-10 had 36-bit words.

1. Why is 8 bits equal to 1 byte?

8 bits are equal to 1 byte because a bit is the smallest unit of information in a computer and it can only have two possible values (0 or 1). A byte, on the other hand, is a unit of measurement that is commonly used to represent characters, numbers, and other data. Since there are 8 bits in a byte and each bit can have 2 possible values, there are a total of 256 (2^8) different combinations of 0s and 1s that can be represented in a byte.

2. How does an LED display work?

An LED (Light Emitting Diode) display works by using a semiconductor material to emit light when an electric current passes through it. The display is made up of multiple LEDs that are controlled by a microcontroller, which turns them on and off to create different patterns and colors. The brightness of each LED can also be controlled to create different levels of intensity.

3. What is a parity bit and why is it used in data transmission?

A parity bit is an extra bit that is added to a group of bits to make the total number of 1s (or 0s) even. It is used in data transmission to detect and correct errors that may occur during the transmission process. The parity bit is calculated based on the other bits in the data and if there is an error, the parity bit will not match the expected value, indicating that an error has occurred.

4. Can the number of bits in a byte vary?

While 8 bits is the standard number of bits in a byte, it is possible for the number of bits in a byte to vary depending on the specific system or technology being used. For example, in some systems, a byte may consist of 7 bits instead of 8. However, 8 bits per byte has become the most commonly used standard.

5. How does the number of bits in a byte affect computer processing speed?

The number of bits in a byte does not necessarily directly affect computer processing speed. However, using a larger number of bits, such as 64-bit architecture, allows for a larger amount of information to be processed at once, which can result in faster processing speeds. Additionally, larger bits can also allow for more complex operations to be performed, leading to improved performance in certain tasks.