Why are both r and k in vector notation?

In summary, the homework statement is proving that if \phi is the vector magnitude of r, then \nabla\phi is also a vector magnitude. The proof is a differentiation with respect to the three coordinate vectors x, y, and z.
gtfitzpatrick

Homework Statement

if [tex]\phi[/tex] = rk/r[tex]^{3}[/tex] where r=xi + yJ + zk and r is the magnitude of r, prove that [tex]\nabla[/tex][tex]\phi[/tex] = (1/r[tex]^{}5[/tex])(r[tex]^{}2[/tex]k-3(r.k)r

Right I'm not really sure where to start here...
i know

Magnitude r = [tex]\sqrt{x^{2}+y^{2}+z^{2}}[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]\nabla[/tex][tex]\phi[/tex] (is generally) = d[tex]\phi[/tex]/dx x + d[tex]\phi[/tex]/dy y + d[tex]\phi[/tex]/dz z

but could someone please give me a pointer from here. can i just multiply across the x, y, z parts of r by k/r[tex]^{3}[/tex] and then differenciate?

Something I am perhaps missing: why are both r and k in vector notation? This would imply a dot product; do you really mean that?

Also, in your second post, you denote the unit vectors by x,y,z. Do you mean i , j , and k? I'm not trying to be a bug! I just want to try and keep consistent, so that the problem can be clarified.

Last edited:
yes in the question they're both in vector notation

Alright, then that would imply that [tex]\phi[/tex]=z/r^3

sorry i meant i, j, k. I'm not sure what you mean...is z is the dot product of r.k?

Yes, exactly. i dotted with j or k is zero. only k dot k is 1, so the coefficient of z is 1.

sorry i don't really follow. I just don't know...

(xi + yJ + zk) dotted with k = z

After that, it's just a whole of differentiating. Could you more clearly write the 'proof' against which we should be comparing? If need be, dictate what it says instead of trying to write it out.

Thanks for you patience with me!
so i now have [tex]\phi[/tex] = z/[tex]\sqrt{x^{2}+y^{2}+z^{2}}[/tex] amd now i just differenciate wrt x then y then z and then tidy it all up?
Thanks a mill for all the help

yes, except you must cube the [tex]
\sqrt{x^{2}+y^{2}+z^{2}}
[/tex] !

Thanks had it, I'm just tidying it up now...you've put me in great humour...thanks a mill...I'm off to see dinosaur jr as soon as i get it tidied up.Thanks again

so i differenciated wrt x then y then z and tried to tidy it all up but i got1/r[tex]^{5}[/tex](-3(r.k)r)

When i differenciated wrt x i got -3x/r[tex]^{5}[/tex] and similar for y and z was this right?

then i just put these answers into [tex]\nabla\phi[/tex] = dx/d[tex]\phi[/tex] i + dy/d[tex]\phi[/tex] j + dz/d[tex]\phi[/tex] k

which gives
-3xz/r[tex]^{5}[/tex] i - 3yz/r[tex]^{5}[/tex] j - 3zz/r[tex]^{5}[/tex] k

am i right so far? it just seemed to tidy up to 1/r[tex]^{5}[/tex](-3(r.k)r)

when it should be 1/r[tex]^{5}[/tex](r[tex]^{2}[/tex]k-3(r.k)r)

Related to Why are both r and k in vector notation?

1. What is the difference between r and k in vector notation?

The vector notation is a way of representing mathematical quantities that have both magnitude and direction. In this notation, r represents the position vector, which describes the location of a point in space relative to a reference point. On the other hand, k represents the unit vector in the direction of the z-axis in a three-dimensional Cartesian coordinate system.

2. Why are both r and k necessary in vector notation?

Both r and k are necessary in vector notation because they serve different purposes. The position vector r gives us information about the location of a point in space, while the unit vector k provides us with information about the direction in which we are measuring that position. Together, they help us fully describe a point in three-dimensional space.

3. Can r and k be used interchangeably in vector notation?

No, r and k cannot be used interchangeably in vector notation. As mentioned before, they serve different purposes and have different meanings. While r represents the location of a point, k represents the direction in which that point is located. Using them interchangeably would result in incorrect calculations and representations.

4. How do r and k relate to each other in vector notation?

The position vector r and the unit vector k are related because the unit vector k is used to specify the direction of the position vector r. In other words, r is multiplied by k to indicate the direction in which r is being measured. This relationship is important in calculating and representing vectors in three-dimensional space.

5. Are r and k always present in vector notation?

No, r and k are not always present in vector notation. In some cases, only the position vector r may be necessary to describe a point, for example in two-dimensional space where there is no need for a unit vector. However, in three-dimensional space, both r and k are typically used to fully describe a point in terms of its position and direction.