Why are centripetal and gravitational forces equal in orbiting bodies?

I have solved the problem.In summary, the conversation discusses finding the velocity and period of orbiting bodies by equating the centripetal force with the gravitational force and rearranging the equation. The individual is initially confused about why these forces are equal and whether they are in the same direction. However, they come to the realization that gravitational force is the centripetal force and can take various forms. They express embarrassment for not realizing this sooner and thank the other person for their help.
Moolisa
Homework Statement
How would an FBD of the following look like?

Using elementary newtonian mechanics, find the period of mass m1 in a circular orbit of radius r around a fixed mass m2
Relevant Equations
Centripetal force, Gravitational force
I've solved this problem, I know you equal centripetal force with gravitational force, then rearrange for velocity to find T. My answer is the same as the one in the back of the book. But then I started thinking about it and don't know why they are equal to each other. Arent the forces in the same direction? Centripetal force is directed towards m2(the fixed mass at the center) right? Am I forgetting something fundamental to orbiting bodies?

To be clear, the FBD part isn't in the actual problem, so if this question doesn't make sense/is faulty, that would be why

Physics news on Phys.org
Gravitational force is the centripetal force. "Centripetal force" just means "whatever keeps the object on a circle", it doesn't specify what type of force it is. It could also be a string, an electromagnetic force or something else.

Well, I feel completely embarrassed. Thank you so much,

1. What is centripetal force?

Centripetal force is the force that keeps an object moving in a circular path. It acts towards the center of the circle and is necessary for an object to maintain its circular motion.

2. What is gravitational force?

Gravitational force is the force of attraction between two objects with mass. It is a fundamental force in the universe and is responsible for keeping planets in orbit around the sun and moons in orbit around planets.

3. Why are centripetal and gravitational forces equal in orbiting bodies?

Centripetal and gravitational forces are equal in orbiting bodies because they are both necessary for an object to maintain its circular motion. In the case of orbiting bodies, the centripetal force is provided by the gravitational force between the two objects. This means that the strength of the centripetal force is directly proportional to the mass of the objects and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them, resulting in equal forces for objects in orbit.

4. How does the equality of centripetal and gravitational forces affect the speed of orbiting bodies?

The equality of centripetal and gravitational forces affects the speed of orbiting bodies by keeping it constant. As the distance between the two objects changes, the strength of the gravitational force changes accordingly, resulting in a change in the speed of the orbiting body to maintain the equilibrium between the two forces.

5. Is the equality of centripetal and gravitational forces only applicable to circular orbits?

No, the equality of centripetal and gravitational forces is applicable to all types of orbits, not just circular ones. As long as an object is in orbit around another object, the two forces will be equal and necessary for maintaining the object's motion.