Why are crystals more conductive then amorphous structures?

In summary: I agree that polycrystalline materials should be more conductive than amorphous materials other things being equal. Which leads me to wonder what data has led you to think otherwise. Can you show me what I mentioned above so that I can check it?
Somali_Physicist
TL;DR Summary
Hey guys basically why are copper crystals more conductive then the corresponding amorphous structure?
Hey guys basically why are copper crystals more conductive then the corresponding amorphous structure?
I know generally that electrical conductivity is reliant on:

σ = (e2 * (vf)2 n τ)/3

My attempt of understanding is that the crystal structures are made up of unit cells which implies every section has a constant electric valence cloud surrounding it. Thus when applying an electric field there are already 'x' amount of electrons are constantly at fermi energy and also reducing the number of atomic collisions.

Amorphous solids are less rigid and hence there is no clear path for electrons to travel and randomly collide along the way hence decreasing the mean free time and the randomness of cloud implies less electrons are at fermi energy.

Any sources please??

https://www.physicsforums.com/file:///C:/Users/22273364/AppData/Local/Packages/oice_16_974fa576_32c1d314_275d/AC/Temp/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image002.png

Physics news on Phys.org
So you want us to find sources for your theory?

I would imagine that a) you don't want to be thinking about individual electrons, you want to be thinking about conduction bands, and b) amorphous metals likely have resistivities near what they are at the melting point.

Somali_Physicist said:
Summary:: Hey guys basically why are copper crystals more conductive then the corresponding amorphous structure?

there are already 'x' amount of electrons are constantly at fermi energy

what you mean by that ?

Somali_Physicist said:
Summary:: Hey guys basically why are copper crystals more conductive then the corresponding amorphous structure?

Amorphous solids are less rigid and hence there is no clear path

why rigid is related to "clear path"

Pssst. Bloch's Theorem

Likes Somali_Physicist and hagopbul
hutchphd said:
Pssst. Bloch's Theorem
He's pointing you in the right direction. In theory, in a perfectly transitionally periodic lattice (no thermal vibrations) the electron wave function will extend throughout the crystal and the atoms won't act like scattering centres. In an amorphous solid there are now a tremendous number of scattering centres because of the lack of periodicity.

Likes Somali_Physicist, hagopbul and hutchphd
Vanadium 50 said:
So you want us to find sources for your theory?

I would imagine that a) you don't want to be thinking about individual electrons, you want to be thinking about conduction bands, and b) amorphous metals likely have resistivities near what they are at the melting point.
It is a simple guess, after reading Electronic Properties of Materials, 4th Edition i have found it is due to crystals having electron scattering being more coherent compared to their amorphous counterparts.

However i am still abit confused , since polycrystalline is not a lot more conductive then amorphous systems.

Dr_Nate said:
He's pointing you in the right direction. In theory, in a perfectly transitionally periodic lattice (no thermal vibrations) the electron wave function will extend throughout the crystal and the atoms won't act like scattering centres. In an amorphous solid there are now a tremendous number of scattering centres because of the lack of periodicity.
How exactly does that help conduction ?

If the electron wave extends throughout the crystal i don't see how that would help with the transport of electrons.

Somali_Physicist said:
It is a simple guess, after reading Electronic Properties of Materials, 4th Edition i have found it is due to crystals having electron scattering being more coherent compared to their amorphous counterparts.

However i am still abit confused , since polycrystalline is not a lot more conductive then amorphous systems.
Can you provide the data you are using to conclude that?

Likes Somali_Physicist
Dr_Nate said:
Can you provide the data you are using to conclude that?

Copper Bromide is around 3*10^3 S/m while copper ziroconium is around 500 S/m. Other data shows they are not extremely off.

Somali_Physicist said:
How exactly does that help conduction ?

If the electron wave extends throughout the crystal i don't see how that would help with the transport of electrons.
You need to understand electronic band structures and the shift of the Fermi surface due to an electric field (plus the relaxation from scattering that keeps it in a steady state). The shift is in Fig. 3 here: https://unlcms.unl.edu/cas/physics/tsymbal/teaching/SSP-927/Section 08_Electron_Transport.pdf

Likes Somali_Physicist
Somali_Physicist said:
Copper Bromide is around 3*10^3 S/m while copper ziroconium is around 500 S/m. Other data shows they are not extremely off.
That's comparing apples and oranges. You need to compare materials of the same composition, like say copper bromide, as a crystalline, polycrystalline, and amorphous solid. Then you can make comparisons.

Likes Vanadium 50
Dr_Nate said:
That's comparing apples and oranges. You need to compare materials of the same composition, like say copper bromide, as a crystalline, polycrystalline, and amorphous solid. Then you can make comparisons.
True, i was just assuming wrt to factors.

so I'm assuming that polycrystalline would be more conductive as its more ordered.

Somali_Physicist said:
True, i was just assuming wrt to factors.

so I'm assuming that polycrystalline would be more conductive as its more ordered.
I agree that polycrystalline materials should be more conductive than amorphous materials other things being equal. Which leads me to wonder what data has led you to think otherwise. Can you show me what I mentioned above so that I can check it out?

Likes hagopbul and Somali_Physicist
Dr_Nate said:
I agree that polycrystalline materials should be more conductive than amorphous materials other things being equal. Which leads me to wonder what data has led you to think otherwise. Can you show me what I mentioned above so that I can check it out?
embarrassingly it was due to a picture from a random person. Looking at it now it doesn't make sense and i had no data to back it up.

However from sources i think it should be :

single crystalline > polycrystalline > amorphous
(generally)

To be honest i just needed a few sources to understand why crystals are a lot more conductive then amorphous materials generally. Looking at the answers it seems to be just due to coherency of electron scattering , i will read that pdf and see if i can understand it.

Likes hagopbul

1. Why do crystals have a more ordered structure than amorphous materials?

Crystals are made up of repeating patterns of atoms or molecules, which results in a highly ordered structure. On the other hand, amorphous materials lack this repeating pattern and have a more random arrangement of atoms or molecules.

2. What causes the difference in electrical conductivity between crystals and amorphous structures?

The highly ordered structure of crystals allows for efficient movement of electrons, making them more conductive. In amorphous materials, the random arrangement of atoms or molecules creates barriers and obstacles for electron movement, resulting in lower conductivity.

3. Can amorphous materials be made conductive like crystals?

Yes, it is possible to make amorphous materials conductive by introducing impurities or defects that disrupt the random arrangement of atoms and allow for more efficient electron movement.

4. Are there any advantages to using amorphous materials over crystals in terms of conductivity?

While crystals are generally more conductive, amorphous materials have some advantages such as flexibility and transparency, which make them useful in certain applications such as solar cells and touch screens.

5. How does the conductivity of crystals and amorphous materials relate to their physical properties?

The conductivity of a material is closely related to its physical properties, such as the arrangement of atoms or molecules, density, and melting point. For example, materials with a higher density and more ordered structure tend to be more conductive.