Why are Move operations more efficient than Copy operations?

• Thread starter MinusTheBear
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Operations
In summary, the conversation discusses the difference between move and copy operations in programming and why move operations are considered more efficient. The speaker raises the question of deep and shallow copies and suggests that moving data may be more efficient in cases of large arrays or class objects. They also question the importance of this efficiency since temporary objects will be deleted anyway. Another speaker points out the practical benefits of moving rather than duplicating data, such as avoiding data maintenance and consistency issues.
MinusTheBear
Hey all,

Posting once again. I'm only in my second class on programming ever (with no prior experience to classes). I'm learning about move/copy operations. My textbook says that the move operations is "obviously more efficient than the copy" operation, but it doesn't explain why.

Is it more efficient in the case of deep and shallow copies? The only thing I can really think of is if I had an extremely large array or class object that "stealing" the objects data would be more efficient rather than having two copies of the same object with different memory locations. But at the same time, I don't really see why this is so important because if the array or class object is temporary, it's going to be deleted once it falls out of scope anyway -- so it really just seems like another form of copying to me. I know that the idea is you're moving an r-value to an l-value, but the r-value is temporary, so I don't see why you couldn't just perform a copy with a r-value reference since once the copy is performed, the r-value will fall out of scope and be deleted.

Am I missing something?

Technology news on Phys.org
Two differences come to mind, one is efficiency and the other is a practical data maintenance issue. I don't know if either of these are what your book had in mind.
1) Often a move of a lot of data only requires that a pointer to the data be moved. The actual data is not moved.
2) Duplicating data causes data maintenance and consistency nightmares. Too much copying often leads you to searching all over the place if the data needs to be changed.

Likes Of Mike and Men and berkeman

1. Why are Move operations considered more efficient than Copy operations?

Move operations are considered more efficient because they do not create a duplicate of the data being moved. Instead of copying the data to a new location, the move operation simply changes the pointer to the existing data, making it a faster and less resource-intensive process.

2. How does the efficiency of Move operations compare to Copy operations?

The efficiency of Move operations is significantly higher than that of Copy operations. This is because Move operations involve a simple pointer change, while Copy operations require the creation of a new copy of the data, which takes up more time and resources.

3. What factors contribute to the greater efficiency of Move operations?

There are several factors that contribute to the greater efficiency of Move operations. These include the avoidance of creating duplicate data, the use of pointers instead of copying data, and the ability to move larger chunks of data at once.

4. Are there any drawbacks to using Move operations over Copy operations?

While Move operations are generally more efficient, there are some potential drawbacks to consider. For example, Move operations can only be used when the source and destination locations are on the same device, whereas Copy operations can be used across different devices.

5. Can the efficiency of Move operations be impacted by the type of data being moved?

Yes, the efficiency of Move operations can be impacted by the type of data being moved. For example, if the data being moved is very large, the pointer change process may take longer than expected, making Copy operations a more efficient option. Additionally, if the data being moved is highly fragmented, it may also affect the efficiency of Move operations.