Why are my force equations giving me incorrect answers?

In summary, the conversation involved the correction of equations for forces in the x and y directions that were initially yielding incorrect answers. The correct equation was determined to be (T_Acos60^{\circ}-T_Ccos45^{\circ})=0, with the explanation that positive and negative signs must be considered when using unit vectors. The use of diagrams and unit vectors was also suggested as helpful tools for problem-solving.
cwill53
Homework Statement
An electric lamp weighing 5lbs is suspended by a cord AB from the ceiling and pulled towards the wall by the cord BC. Determine the tensions ##T_{A}## in the cord AB and ##T_{C}## in the cord BC if the angles ##\alpha## and ##\beta## are ##60^{\circ}## and ##135^{\circ}##, respectively. Neglect the weight of the cords.

Ans. ##T_{A}##= 3.65 lbs ##T_{C}##==2.6 lbs
Relevant Equations
$$\sum \vec{F}=m\vec{a}$$
I had made equations for the forces in the x-direction and y-direction, but when solving them they yielded the wrong answers, which makes me think that they were incorrect:##(T_{A}cos60^{\circ}+T_{C}cos45^{\circ})=0##
##(T_{A}sin60^{\circ}+T_{C}sin45^{\circ})=5lbs##

Here's the diagram for the problem:
IMG_6891.jpg

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
cwill53 said:
but when solving them
Can't see where you go wrong if you don't post your work.

Question: in $$T_{A}\cos60^{\circ}+T_{C}\cos45^{\circ}= 0$$ I see four things that are positive. How can that give 0 ?

Likes cwill53
cwill53 said:
##(T_{A}cos60^{\circ}+T_{C}cos45^{\circ})\hat{x}=0##
##(T_{A}sin60^{\circ}+T_{C}sin45^{\circ})\hat{y}=5lbs##

Best not to write that; you've got vectors on the LHS and scalars on the RHS. Also, as @BvU pointed out, the first equation should be setting off alarm bells!

Look at your first equation. You know that ##\sum F_x = ma_x = 0## here. What is the ##x## component of the force exerted by the member BC?

Likes cwill53
BvU said:
Can't see where you go wrong if you don't post your work.

Question: in $$T_{A}\cos60^{\circ}+T_{C}\cos45^{\circ}= 0$$ I see four things that are positive. How can that give 0 ?

I don't see any other forces in the x-direction.
IMG_6892.jpg

Should it be ##(T_{A}cos60^{\circ}-T_{C}cos45^{\circ})=0##?

Likes BvU
If I pull to the left and you pull to the right, and we pull with equal forces, will something in the middle accelerate twice as fast as when I pull alone ? Or will it stay in place ?

Nice drawing, but physics sketches should be restricted to the bare essentials

cwill53 said:
Should it be ##(T_{A}cos60^{\circ}-T_{C}cos45^{\circ})=0##?
Yees. Why ?

BvU said:
Yees. Why ?
Because that's the only way that makes sense if the system isn't accelerating. You can't add two positive numbers and get 0.

cwill53 said:
Should it be ##(T_{A}cos60^{\circ}-T_{C}cos45^{\circ})\hat{x}=0##?

Pretty much, but it should be either

##(T_{A}cos60^{\circ}-T_{C}cos45^{\circ})\hat{x}=\vec{0}##

or

##T_{A}cos60^{\circ}-T_{C}cos45^{\circ} = 0##.

As for the trouble with signs, ##\vec{T}_C = \vec{T}_{Cx} + \vec{T}_{Cy} = T_{Cx} \hat{x} + T_{Cy} \hat{y}##. If you draw the component vectors in the ##x## and ##y## directions, you know that ##\vec{T}_{Cx} = T_{Cx} \hat{x}## has to point to the left (i.e. in the ##-\hat{x}## direction). This should give you some clues as to the required sign of ##T_{Cx}##...

Likes cwill53
BvU said:
If I pull to the left and you pull to the right, and we pull with equal forces, will something in the middle accelerate twice as fast as when I pull alone ? Or will it stay in place ?

Nice drawing, but physics sketches should be restricted to the bare essentials
It will stay in place because the forces will cancel out.

I like to draw the pictures for reference in the future; this book is long out of print.

Likes BvU
cwill53 said:
I like to draw the pictures for reference in the future; this book is long out of print.

I mean it seems you've got the knack for it... just make sure not to spend too long on the shading...

It might also help to draw the unit vectors you're using on the diagram as well. Just so that when you see the force is acting in the negative ##x## direction, you can go 'aha', the coefficient of ##\hat{x}## has to be negative so ##F_x < 0##.

Likes BvU and cwill53
etotheipi said:
I mean it seems you've got the knack for it... just make sure not to spend too long on the shading...

It might also help to draw the unit vectors you're using on the diagram as well. Just so that when you see the force is acting in the negative ##x## direction, you can go 'aha', the coefficient of ##\hat{x}## has to be negative so ##F_x < 0##.
Thanks, I'll do that from now on.

@BvU @etotheipi Thanks for the help, that fix did the trick.

Likes etotheipi

1. Why is my force equation not balancing?

There could be several reasons for this. One possibility is that there is an error in your calculation or input values. Another possibility is that there are external forces acting on the system that are not accounted for in your equation. It is also possible that your equation is not appropriate for the specific scenario you are trying to model.

2. How can I check if my force equation is correct?

One way to check the validity of your equation is to use the principle of conservation of energy or momentum. If your equation is correct, it should result in a balanced energy or momentum equation. You can also try using different methods of solving the equation or verifying it with experimental data.

3. Why are my force values different from the expected values?

There are a few possible reasons for this. It could be due to errors in measurement or calculation, or it could be that the system is not ideal and there are external factors affecting the force values. It is also possible that your equation is not taking into account all the relevant factors.

4. What can I do to improve the accuracy of my force equations?

To improve the accuracy of your equations, you can double-check your calculations and input values, use more precise measurement tools, or consider using more advanced or specific equations for your particular scenario. It is also important to understand the limitations of your equations and the assumptions they are based on.

5. Are there any common mistakes that can lead to incorrect force equations?

Yes, there are a few common mistakes that can lead to incorrect force equations. These include incorrect units, neglecting to consider all the forces acting on the system, using the wrong equation for the scenario, or making errors in calculation or measurement. It is important to carefully review your work and double-check all the steps to avoid these mistakes.