Why are only some parts of this ice block cloudy?

In summary, the conversation discusses a sprained leg and the doctor's recommendation to dip it in ice-cold and hot water. The speaker then shares an interesting discovery about the different layers in a large ice cube and questions why this occurs. The answer is revealed to be due to air bubbles trapped in the ice, which can be removed by boiling the water before freezing it.
Wrichik Basu
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
I had a sprain in my leg a few days back. The doctor recommended dipping my foot alternately in ice-cold and hot water to aid blood circulation. It is here that I discovered something interesting.

Eerxw.jpg

The picture above shows the piece of ice that was put in the bucket. The above picture shows the ice cube from above.

If you look at the large piece of cube from the side (see below), you can see that the upper part of the cube, that was near the open surface of the container in which the ice froze, seems to be almost transparent and has a crystalline appearance. The lower part does not have this appearance, and it is white and opaque.

v4Pvl.jpg

z4Jfl.jpg

Why is there a difference in the layers of ice in the large cube? Is it because the water was from tap and not completely pure? The water was put in the refrigerator for a period greater than 12 hours, so the ice has frozen properly. Can anyone explain this unique structure of ice? I've never seen this before.

Attachments

• Eerxw.jpg
    Eerxw.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 833
  • v4Pvl.jpg
    v4Pvl.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 697
  • z4Jfl.jpg
    z4Jfl.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 557
Physics news on Phys.org
The cloudiness in ice cubes is due to small air bubbles trapped in the ice that scatter light. The air bubbles come from the air that is normally dissolved in the water. Beer foam also appears white even though the beer may be amber or even dark because the small bubbles in the foam reflect the incident light in all directions. A well known trick for making clear ice cubes is to boil the water before freezing it. Boiling drives out the air that is dissolved in the water.

Likes Wrichik Basu, Nik_2213 and scottdave

1. Why are only some parts of this ice block cloudy?

The cloudiness in ice blocks is caused by the presence of air bubbles, impurities, or minerals. These substances can get trapped in the ice during the freezing process, resulting in a cloudy appearance.

2. Is cloudy ice less safe to consume than clear ice?

No, the cloudiness in ice does not affect its safety for consumption. As long as the ice is made from clean water, it is safe to consume regardless of its appearance.

3. Can cloudy ice be used for making ice cubes or should it be discarded?

Cloudy ice can still be used for making ice cubes or for cooling drinks. The cloudiness does not affect the ice's ability to melt and cool beverages.

4. How can I make clear ice at home?

To make clear ice at home, you can try using distilled water or boiling water before freezing. You can also try freezing the water in layers, with each layer being slightly warmer than the previous one. This allows any impurities to settle at the bottom, resulting in clearer ice at the top.

5. Does the temperature at which the ice is frozen affect its cloudiness?

Yes, the temperature at which the ice is frozen can affect its cloudiness. Generally, the colder the temperature, the clearer the ice will be. However, if the water used to make the ice contains impurities, the temperature may not have a significant impact on the cloudiness.