Why are there no bubbles in a pipette when pressure is released?

• B
  • Thread starter fresh_42
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bubbles
In summary, the conversation discusses the phenomenon of what happens when a pipette is dunked into a solution and the pressure is released. It is expected that bubbles of air would be sucked into the solution, but instead the solution climbs as if there was still fluid to suck in. This is attributed to capillary action and an interaction between wetting, surface tension, and geometry. The outcome (sliding vs bubbling) depends on these factors and the thickness of the liquid layer.
fresh_42
Mentor
Insights Author
2023 Award
TL;DR Summary
How exactly does the capillary action work in this case?
400px-Nasentropfen.jpg

I have observed the following phenomenon:
Step 1: Dunk the pipette into the solution.
Step 2: Press it and hold it pressed.
Step 3: Pull out the pipette, until the lower end is in the air.
Step 4: Release the pressure.

Now one would expect that the solution in the pipette sucks bubbles of air. However, it does not. The solution in the pipette climbs as if there was still a fluid to suck in. Why? O.k. it is presumably capillary action which is responsible, and the fluid has to climb until the pressures are equalized. But where are the bubbles?

• Wow
Likes scottdave and Adesh
Physics news on Phys.org
fresh_42 said:
Now one would expect that the solution in the pipette sucks bubbles of air.
If we expect to see bubbles, it's because we are assuming that the fluid wants to stick to a fixed place on the pipette's wall, and therefore the air has to force the liquid to bulge upwards in the middle.

But if the liquid doesn't mind sliding upwards, then it can just act as a piston. So I'd guess it depends on how much the liquid wets and adheres to the wall. Something to do with : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wetting

Another possibility that seems intuitively plausible is this: if the liquid layer is fairly thin, then it will bubble. If it's thick, it will slide like a piston. If this turns out to be true, then it might imply that the adhesion (resistance to sliding) is contributed by the interface between the wet and dry parts, while the tendency to slide easily is dominated by the wet part. If the liquid layer is thick, the latter might be stronger.

So the outcome (sliding vs bubbling) might depend on an interaction between wetting, surface tension and geometry. E.g. a larger diameter tube might show more bubbling tendency compared to a narrow one.

Last edited:
Likes Lnewqban

1. Why are there missing bubbles in my pipette?

There could be several reasons for missing bubbles in a pipette. One possibility is that the pipette was not properly primed before use, leading to air pockets in the tip. Another reason could be that the pipette was not held at the correct angle, causing the bubbles to escape. Lastly, the pipette may be damaged or have a leak, causing air to escape.

2. How can I prevent missing bubbles in my pipette?

To prevent missing bubbles in a pipette, make sure to properly prime the pipette before use by drawing and dispensing liquid multiple times. Also, hold the pipette at a slight angle while dispensing to prevent air from escaping. Regularly check the pipette for any signs of damage or leaks.

3. Can missing bubbles affect my results?

Yes, missing bubbles in a pipette can affect your results. Bubbles can cause inaccurate volumes to be dispensed, leading to incorrect measurements and potentially affecting your experimental outcomes. It is important to ensure that the pipette is functioning properly and that there are no missing bubbles before use.

4. Is it normal to have missing bubbles in a pipette?

It is not normal to have missing bubbles in a pipette. Bubbles can indicate issues with the pipette, such as improper priming or damage. It is important to address and resolve any missing bubbles before using the pipette for accurate and reliable results.

5. Can I still use a pipette with missing bubbles?

It is not recommended to use a pipette with missing bubbles. Bubbles can affect the accuracy and precision of the pipette, leading to unreliable results. It is best to address and resolve any missing bubbles before using the pipette for experiments.