Why are TN-C systems not allowed for computer equipment?

In summary, the TN-C system is not allowed for computer equipment and similar devices due to the risk of fire and the presence of harmonic currents in the neutral. These harmonic currents can potentially raise or alter the local Earth voltage, which can cause issues with sensitive logic signals. The third harmonic current in a three-phase system can also cause problems as it returns through the neutral. To avoid this, it is important to keep the neutral and grounding conductors separate. Additionally, the US electrical code stipulates that the grounding conductor should only carry fault current, and the neutral should carry normal load current. This is why the neutral and ground should only be joined at the service entrance or at the origin of a separately derived system. In addition, it is important
Bavuka
Hi

Why are TN-C systems not allowed for computer equipment and similar devices?
In addition, the TN-C system:
Is forbidden in certain cases:
- Premises with a risk of fire
- For computer equipment (presence of harmonic currents in the neutral)

Source: http://www.electrical-installation.org/enwiki/Earthing_schemes_(_full_page_)#TN_system

After some reading they mention it is because of circulation of harmonic currents in the PEN condcutor, but I am not able to understand what circular path they circulate in?
FigE13.jpg

Engineering news on Phys.org
In computer systems it is expected (required practically) that the neutral will carry significant harmonic current, and should be sized for that purpose. The PE connection - in theory- is reserved for safety purposes only.

Likes Bavuka
I may not explain this very well but...

If all the phases aren't perfectly balanced (or the equipment is single phase) there will be significant currents flowing in the Neutral. TN-C combines the Neutral and Earth onto one wire so any current flowing in the neutral can potentially raise/alter the local Earth voltage (Ground bounce).

The Earth connection on computer equipment isn't only used for safety. Most signals between two computers (or similar equipment, eg printers, plotters, CNC machines) will use differential pair signals to reduce the effect of common mode noise but that might be limited. Some computer equipment may still use single wire connections where local "earth" is used as a voltage reference (bad practice).

It's also common for the wire connecting two "computers" to be screened and for that screen to be connected to the chassis/local Earth at both ends. So any voltage across the red resistor below appears across that screen as well.

Noise on the mains can sometimes include spikes of 1000V or more and separating neutral and Earth functions and avoiding Earth loops can help stop these spikes coupling onto sensitive logic signals (3-5V).

TNC.jpg

Likes Bavuka
Bavuka said:
but I am not able to understand what circular path they circulate in?
FigE13.jpg
3rd harmonic is particularly egregious
if you think about how many milliseconds 120 degrees at line frequency is, 5.555msec at 60 hz or 6.667 at 50 hz,
at thrice line frequency how many degrees do those milliseconds represent ?
at 180 hz, 5.555 msec is a whole cycle .
At 150 hz, 6.667 msec is a whole cycle.

AHA ! Third harmonics in a three phase system are in phase with one another ! Well, you could i guess think of them as 360 degrees out of phase which is indistinguishable from in phase.

So, the sum total of all three individual phase's third harmonic currents returns through the neutral !

3rdharmonic4computers1.jpg
That's why you make neutral conductor for computer installations the same size as phase conductors.. Early computers drew power quite rich in third harmonic current. It's because of the huge filter capacitors in their power supplies. Many office buildings had to be rewired with bigger neutrals when every desk got a PC.

There's another reason though why you keep the neutral and grounding conductors separate.
US electrical code stipulates that the grounding conductor must carry ONLY fault current, ie when something is wrong inside an appliance* or a machine. (* An exception exists for electric ranges. )
Normal load current is to return only through the neutral conductor, or of course through another phase conductor as it does in balanced three phase sans harmonics..
The only place you're allowed to join Neutral and Ground is at the service entrance or at the origin of a 'separately derived system' .
Those two remote grounds on the Neutral (that i red X'ed) would be not allowed beause they would let load current caused by unbalance or harmonics get into the green ground wires.

I hope that helps. Search on NEC art 250. "Ground, Neutral, Bond" all have specific meanings in code context.

Last edited:
Likes Bavuka
Thank you all for helping, I got good answers to my question :)

jim hardy said:
(* An exception exists for electric ranges. )
Not anymore. For many years the ground and neutral could be shared in clothes dryers and ranges but that has since changed. 4 prong plugs are the norm now.

Thanks Averagesuper... Good to know that. I'm installing 50 amp receptacle as we speak, so it'll be 4 prongs. .

jim hardy said:
Thanks Averagesuper... Good to know that. I'm installing 50 amp receptacle as we speak, so it'll be 4 prongs. .
I know you know better but I can't resist telling you to make sure it's also 4 wires. Haha. A good hardware stores electrical section will be able to tell you which 'style' you need.

Averagesupernova said:
I know you know better but I can't resist telling you to make sure it's also 4 wires. Haha. A good hardware stores electrical section will be able to tell you which 'style' you need.
That's fine, and was the plan. I even have forty feet of four conductor #4 to make an extension cord for the welder.

Thanks for being vigilant !

Keep in mind that 240 volt devices that have no neutral current such as a welder do not require a neutral. But ranges and clothes dryers will have neutral current because parts of them run on 120 volts. Don't waste money installing 4 prong receptacles for welder. A 3 is acceptable in that case.

1. Why are TN-C systems not allowed for computer equipment?

TN-C systems, also known as combined neutral and protective conductors, are not allowed for computer equipment due to safety concerns. This type of system has the potential to create an electrical shock hazard, as the neutral and protective conductors are combined. This means that if a fault occurs, the neutral conductor could also carry a high current, posing a risk to anyone who comes into contact with it.

2. What are the alternatives to TN-C systems for computer equipment?

The most common alternative to TN-C systems for computer equipment is the TN-S system, which separates the neutral and protective conductors. This eliminates the risk of an electrical shock hazard and is considered safer for computer equipment. Other alternatives include TN-C-S and TN-C-S-E systems, which are variations of the TN-S system.

3. Are there any other reasons why TN-C systems are not allowed for computer equipment?

In addition to safety concerns, TN-C systems may also cause interference with computer equipment. This is because the neutral and protective conductors are combined, which can create ground loops and introduce unwanted noise into the system. This interference can affect the performance and reliability of the computer equipment.

4. Are there any situations where TN-C systems can be used for computer equipment?

In some cases, TN-C systems may be used for computer equipment if additional safety measures are implemented. This can include the installation of isolation transformers or the use of surge protection devices. However, these measures may be costly and may not completely eliminate the safety and interference concerns associated with TN-C systems.

5. Is it possible to convert a TN-C system to a TN-S system for computer equipment?

Yes, it is possible to convert a TN-C system to a TN-S system for computer equipment. This typically involves separating the neutral and protective conductors and installing additional grounding and bonding measures. However, this conversion can be complex and may require the assistance of a qualified electrician to ensure it is done safely and effectively.