Why are wavefunctions represented as eigenvectors?

In summary, wave functions are representations of states and they are easier to work with when they are represented as eigenvectors.
Superposed_Cat
Hi I was learning about eigenvectors, inner products, Dirac notation etc. But I don't get why wave functions are represented as eigenvectors?

Physics news on Phys.org
...why wave functions are represented as eigenvectors?
Because it makes the math easier.

Technically - the wave-function is a state-vector.
We like to resolve them into eigenvectors (also called eigenfunctions) for the same reason we like to resolve a velocity vector into components: it makes the math easier.

All wave-functions are vectors because they transform as vectors - so "function" and "vector" mean the same thing.

could you elaborate with an example please?

Do you even know what an eigenvector is? The reason I ask is that four hours ago you asked "Hey all, does anyone a great place to learn linear algebra online? Thanks for any help. " It took me more than four hours to learn linear algebra.

I'm with Vanadium 50.
There are plenty of examples in standard texts in linear algebra - you should have seen them already.

I only learned eigenvectors, eigenvalues, dirac notation and inner products. I already knew how to work with matrices.I just haven't seen how to use them in qm.

I'm motivated. Science is my life. I don't spend my time playing games like my other friends.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you know what a vector space is?
Have you seen that functions are vectors in their own right?
Or are you thinking that a vector is a column (or row) of numbers?

See also:
https://ece.uwaterloo.ca/~ece204/howtos/functions/

All the rest is just different ways of writing vectors down.

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
Thanks, I didn't know that vectors=functions in a way.

Yep - after grokking that, it remains only to figure which representation of vectors is the one you want to deal with. Some of the cooler ways can look a lot like magic.

This gets very useful when you have to deal with much more complicated systems where writing down the functions normally can occupy a whole page - it can also obscure the relationships that you are interested in.

Thanks again, is this the basis for the linear algebra formulation of QM?

Um - it is a demonstration that there is no useful distinction to be made between the wavefunction and state-vector formulation. The formulation is just notation.

We have a linear algebra formulation of QM because Schrödinger's equation is linear. That is, if A and B are solutions, then c1*A + c2*B is a solution.

Related to Why are wavefunctions represented as eigenvectors?

What is a wavefunction?

A wavefunction is a mathematical description of the quantum state of a particle. It is used to determine the probability of finding a particle at a specific position and time.

Why are wavefunctions important in quantum mechanics?

Wavefunctions are important in quantum mechanics because they allow us to predict the behavior and properties of particles at the quantum level. They provide a mathematical framework for understanding the probabilistic nature of quantum systems.

What is an eigenvector?

An eigenvector is a special type of vector in linear algebra that, when multiplied by a specific matrix, results in a scaled version of itself. In other words, the direction of the vector remains unchanged, but its length may change.

How are wavefunctions related to eigenvectors?

In quantum mechanics, wavefunctions are represented as eigenvectors of the Hamiltonian operator. This means that when the Hamiltonian operator acts on the wavefunction, it produces a scaled version of the same wavefunction, representing the energy of the particle.

Why do we use eigenvectors to represent wavefunctions?

Eigenvectors are used to represent wavefunctions because they have special properties that make them useful in quantum mechanics. They are orthogonal (perpendicular) to each other, and they form a complete set, meaning any wavefunction can be written as a linear combination of eigenvectors. This allows us to easily manipulate and solve equations involving wavefunctions.