Why can no one explain Power Series and Functions clearly

In summary, our professor has not been very clear in explaining differentiation and integration of power series, so students are turning to the internet for help. However, the practice is easier than the theory, and students can get a formula for π/4 by expanding a series and integrating term by term.
JoeTheKid
Hello,
Im currently in a Calc II class with unfortunately a bad professor (score of 2 on RateMyProfessor), so I often have to resort to outside sources to learn. Our class is currently on Sequences and Series which has been fine up until we hit the topic of relating Power Series and Functions.

Example: ∑ x^n = 1/(1-x) when |x|<1

Now we receive weekly homework assignments, our prof went over differentiation and integration of power series VAGUELY with a few examples that don't help. So naturally I turned to the internet for help, whilst going through source after source that apparently is explaining this stuff, I can comfortably say that I have no idea what is going on in problems such as this.

f(x) = ∑((1)/((4^n)(n^2))(x-1)^n

x
Find ∫ f(t)dt As a series. Then find the Interval of Convergence

I actually don't even know where to start, so if anyone can offer any sort of insight into these types of problems I would be grateful.

Physics news on Phys.org
Did you mean "Find ## \int_1^x f(t) dt ## as a series" ? If so, why not re-express ## f(x) ## as a function of ## t ## and stick it into the integral? You could integrate term by term after that.

the point is that the theory is somewhat hard but the practice is easier. I.e. proving that a convergent series defines a differentiable function (and with the same radius of convergence) takes a bit of work, and the same for integrating, but after knowing that, you just differentiate and integrate them term by term.

e.g. suppose you want a formula for π. just start from 1/(1+x^2), expand by the geometric series you just used, then integrate term by term to geta series for mula for arctan(x), then plug in x=1, to get formula for π/4. this is really cool. (of course you need to know the series makes sense at this point on the edge of the circle of convergence, but so what?)

1. Why is it difficult for people to understand Power Series and Functions?

Power Series and Functions involve complex mathematical concepts and calculations that can be challenging for many people to grasp. They require a solid foundation in calculus and algebra, which not everyone may have.

2. Are there any common misconceptions about Power Series and Functions?

One common misconception is that Power Series and Functions are only used in advanced mathematics and have no practical applications. In reality, they have many real-world applications, such as in physics, engineering, and economics.

3. How can I improve my understanding of Power Series and Functions?

Having a strong understanding of calculus and algebra is crucial for comprehending Power Series and Functions. It also helps to practice with various examples and exercises to become familiar with the concepts and their applications.

4. Can you explain the concept of convergence in Power Series and Functions?

Convergence refers to the behavior of a sequence or series as the number of terms increases. In Power Series and Functions, convergence is important because it determines whether the series or function will have a finite or infinite value.

5. How can I use Power Series and Functions in my research or work?

Power Series and Functions have many practical applications in various fields. For example, they can be used in engineering to model and analyze complex systems, in economics to describe and predict market trends, and in physics to study the behavior of physical phenomena.