Why Can't a Module Have Finite & Infinite Basis?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of a finite and infinite basis for an R-module. It is argued that an infinite basis cannot exist because every element in the module can be written as a linear combination of a finite subset of the infinite basis. This implies that the infinite basis is not linearly independent and therefore cannot be a basis. The speaker welcomes any further questions or critiques.
quasar987
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Why couldn't a module have a finite basis and an infinite one?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think the reasoning goes something like this:

Consider bases for some R-module, say A,
[tex] \{x_{i}\}_{i=1}^{n} \mbox{ and } \{y_{i}\}_{i=1}^{\infty} [/tex]
Everything in A can be written as a FINITE linear combination of elements from either basis. That means there is some natural number m with the property
[tex] x_{i} = \sum_{j=1}^{m} \alpha_{i}^{j} y_{j}, \forall 1 \leq i \leq n \mbox{ and } \alpha_{i}^{j} \in R [/tex]
Every x can be written as a linear combination of y's from some finite subset.

Now consider an arbitrary element in A it can be written in terms of finite number of x's which can be written in terms of a finite number of y's thus everything can be written using a finite subset of the y's. In particular
[tex] y_{m+1} = \sum_{i=1}^{n} \beta_{i}x_{j} = \sum_{i=1}^{n}\sum_{j=1}^{m} \beta_{i}\alpha_{i}^{j} y_{j} [/tex]

This proves that the infinite basis is not linearly independent therefore in fact not a basis. If you find a flaw in this working or have more question tell me.

Oh, very nice. Thank you!

Related to Why Can't a Module Have Finite & Infinite Basis?

1. Why can't a module have both a finite and infinite basis?

A module can only have one basis, either finite or infinite. This is because a basis is a set of linearly independent vectors that span the entire module. If a module had both a finite and infinite basis, the linear independence and spanning properties would be contradictory.

2. Can a module have no basis at all?

No, a module must have at least one basis. This is because a basis is necessary for defining the dimension of a module, which is an important property in linear algebra.

3. Why is it important for a module to have a basis?

A basis allows us to express any vector in the module as a linear combination of its basis vectors. This makes it easier to manipulate and understand the properties of the module.

4. Is it possible for a module to have multiple different bases?

Yes, a module can have multiple different bases. However, all bases for the same module must have the same number of elements, which is known as the dimension of the module. Otherwise, the bases would not span the entire module.

5. How do we determine the basis of a given module?

The basis of a module can be determined by finding a set of linearly independent vectors that span the entire module. This can be done through various methods such as Gaussian elimination or using the Gram-Schmidt process.