Why can't I view eqns even after using the tags in latex ?

In summary, tags in LaTeX are necessary for formatting and structuring equations so that they are displayed correctly and consistently. The most commonly used tags are \begin{equation} and \end{equation}, which create a numbered and centered equation. If equations are not displaying after using the tags, it could be due to missing or incorrect tags, errors in code, or compatibility issues. These tags are specific to LaTeX and cannot be used in other formats, but similar options may be available in other document preparation tools. It is not necessary to use tags for every equation, but separate tags are needed for equations with different formatting or structure.
bksree
Summary: Unable to view equations in proper format

Hi
I am unable to view equations in proper format even after using latex tags shown in help.
For example :
\xi = x - vt
is shown as typed
Again
\frac {\partial x} {\partial y} =
is shown as typed

Please help

TIA

Physics news on Phys.org
You have to write ## or $$ before and after equations. So \xi appears as \xi. But ##\xi## appears as ##\xi## and $$\xi$$ appears as $$\xi$$

Thank you

1. Why are my equations not displaying after using LaTeX tags?

There could be several reasons for this. One possibility is that there is an error or typo in your LaTeX code, which is preventing the equations from being rendered properly. Another possibility is that your browser or device does not support the necessary software or plugins to display LaTeX equations. It is also possible that the website or platform you are using does not support LaTeX formatting.

2. How can I troubleshoot LaTeX equation display issues?

First, double-check your LaTeX code for any errors or typos. If the code is correct, try using a different browser or device to see if the equations display properly. You can also try using a different website or platform that is known to support LaTeX formatting. If none of these solutions work, you may need to install a LaTeX plugin or update your software to properly display equations.

3. Can I use LaTeX to display equations on any platform or website?

No, not all platforms and websites support LaTeX formatting. It is primarily used in academic and scientific contexts, so it may not be available on all websites or platforms. It is always best to check with the specific platform or website to see if they support LaTeX formatting.

4. What is the benefit of using LaTeX for equations?

LaTeX is a typesetting language specifically designed for technical and scientific documents. It allows for precise and professional-looking formatting of equations, making it a popular choice for researchers, academics, and scientists. It also has a wide range of symbols and special characters that are commonly used in equations, making it a versatile tool for displaying complex mathematical concepts.

5. Do I need to have a strong understanding of LaTeX to use it for equations?

While having some knowledge of LaTeX can be helpful, it is not necessary to have a strong understanding of the language to use it for equations. Many websites and platforms provide easy-to-use templates and guides for creating equations in LaTeX. However, it may be beneficial to familiarize yourself with the basics of LaTeX if you plan on using it frequently for equations.