Why can't Microsoft make a quality product?

In summary, Microsoft products are not reliable, Vista is a disaster, and the Zune doesn't work with the operating system that they made. If there were viable alternatives to using Microsoft products, I would switch.
RiseAgainst
My XBOX 360 has broken four times now, I have Vista which is a complete disaster, and my Zune doesn't even work with the operating system that they made. I would start buying products from a new company but many other companies are even worse than Microsoft is.

Physics news on Phys.org
well, think this way... if they actually make a quality product, who's going to buy the new shinny "upgrades" they come up 3 years from now?

tim_lou said:
well, think this way... if they actually make a quality product, who's going to buy the new shinny "upgrades" they come up 3 years from now?

That's true but I think a lot of people are going to be afraid to buy anything made by Microsoft at that point.

RiseAgainst said:
My XBOX 360 has broken four times now,
There is no market advantage in making a reliable games console. Nobody chooses a games console based on MTBF, the only thing that matters is first to market - or getting enough onto the shelves in time for christmas.

I have Vista which is a complete disaster,
No it isn't - in computer terms it's only a standard disaster.

and my Zune doesn't even work with the operating system that they made.
It only stop working on one day every four years - just reboot every new presidential inauguration!

Get a PS3. Its a much better product. :approve:

RiseAgainst said:
I would start buying products from a new company but many other companies are even worse than Microsoft is.

There's your answer. It's as good as it has to be.

mgb_phys said:
It only stop working on one day every four years - just reboot every new presidential inauguration!

No, it doesn't work on Vista at all. I need to download the update but I really don't have the time to go through all of that.

Operating systems, game counsels, and other like products are very difficult to design and manufacturer, you can't expect them to be perfect. If you think microsoft is so bad, then why buy their products? Most people do it because there is no one that makes a better that is even good enough to compete.

I bought their products because the PS3 was way too expensive at the time, the Zune was a better value and worked on XP which I had at the time and I am stuck with Vista until I download Linux or get Windows 7.

If only there were some viable alternatives to putting up with Microsoft's crap. If I can think of any I'll help you out...

http://www.producepedia.com/images/commodity/apples.jpg

http://it.stlawu.edu/~biology/images/art_Penguins_emperor_and_chick.jpgNothing. Seems my mind got off track there...

Last edited by a moderator:
G01 said:
If only there were some viable alternatives to putting up with Microsoft's crap. If I can think of any I'll help you out...

Precious. :smile:

Microsoft Works is an oxymoron!
:smile::smile:

Newspeak said:
Microsoft Works is an oxymoron!
:smile::smile:

Can you even get MS works on a PC anymore?

Yes, the new works comes with office 2007 and excel 2007.

That doesn't make any sense. MS office 2007 is a suite which contains excel 2007 among other software. MS Works was MS's version of Open Office that was free to use.

I wonder if its because my dad also has word 2007 and excel 2007 if they replace the other ones in open office. I didn't realize he did have them although they could be part of the free trial versions.

Related to Why can't Microsoft make a quality product?

1. Why do so many people have issues with Microsoft products?

There are a number of reasons why people may have issues with Microsoft products. Some common reasons include compatibility issues with other software or hardware, bugs or glitches in the software, and user error. Additionally, as with any technology company, Microsoft faces the challenge of constantly evolving and keeping up with changing technology trends, which can sometimes lead to products that are not as polished as they could be.

2. Is it true that Microsoft rushes to release products without proper testing?

This is a common misconception about Microsoft. While it is true that they have a relatively fast product release cycle, they also have a thorough testing process in place. However, with the vast number of users and different types of systems using their products, it is impossible to catch every issue before release. This is why updates and patches are often released to address any issues that arise after the initial release.

3. Why does it seem like Microsoft products are always behind their competitors?

It may appear that way, but in reality, Microsoft is constantly working to improve and innovate their products. However, as mentioned before, with the fast pace of technology, it can be challenging to keep up with all the latest trends and advancements. They also have to consider factors such as market demand and compatibility with their existing products.

4. Are there any benefits to using Microsoft products despite their perceived quality issues?

Yes, there are definitely benefits to using Microsoft products. They have a wide range of software and services that are widely used and familiar to many users. This can make it easier to collaborate and work with others, as well as provide a seamless experience across different devices. Additionally, Microsoft has a large community and support system in place, making it easier to troubleshoot and resolve any issues that may arise.

5. What steps is Microsoft taking to improve the quality of their products?

Microsoft is constantly working to improve the quality of their products. They have a dedicated team of developers and engineers who work on fixing bugs and addressing user feedback. They also have a thorough testing process in place and regularly release updates and patches to improve the functionality and usability of their products. Additionally, they actively listen to user feedback and make changes accordingly to meet the needs and demands of their customers.