Why centripetal force does not increase the value of tangent

In summary, the conversation discussed the relationship between centripetal force and tangential velocity. It was noted that by definition, centripetal force is perpendicular to velocity and therefore does not change its value. However, it was also mentioned that a vector can have a component perpendicular to it, but these components cancel each other out and do not have a net effect. This explains why centripetal force does not affect the speed of an object, but only changes its direction. The person in the conversation expressed confusion and sought clarification on the concept.
Sbr:132
2Mpk3.png
]
I found in a textbook that the value does not change because the centripetal force is perpendicular to the tangential velocity.

But I am confused, because a vector can have a component, which is perpendicular to the vector.
So if the centripetal force is perpendicular to the tangential velocity, the component of the centripetal force which
is perpendicular to the centripetal force and
_parallel_ to the tangential velocity is reasonable.so according to that centripetal force can increase the value of tangential velocity.I need help.I have searched everywhere but have not got the answer.
2Mpk3.png

Physics news on Phys.org
By definition, centripetal force is perpendicular to velocity, so it changes the velocities direction but not the speed. For example, consider a car traveling at constant speed on a winding road, the direction changes, but not the speed.

rcgldr said:
By definition, centripetal force is perpendicular to velocity, so it changes the velocities direction but not the speed. For example, consider a car traveling at constant speed on a winding road, the direction changes, but not the speed.
I know the definition but I want to know why?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sbr:132 said:
a vector can have a component, which is perpendicular to the vector.
You can decompose a vector into multiple vectors, which have non-zero components perpendicular to the original vector. But those components cancel each other out, so they have no net effect.

Likes CWatters

1. Why does centripetal force not increase the value of tangent?

Centripetal force is the force that acts on an object to keep it moving in a circular motion. It always acts towards the center of the circle. The value of tangent, on the other hand, is a mathematical term that represents the ratio of the opposite side to the adjacent side of a right triangle. These two concepts are not directly related, and the centripetal force does not affect the value of tangent in any way.

2. Can centripetal force affect the value of tangent?

No, centripetal force does not affect the value of tangent. Tangent is a mathematical term that describes a ratio, while centripetal force is a physical force that acts on an object. These two concepts are independent of each other and do not have any impact on one another.

3. How is centripetal force related to tangent?

The only way centripetal force is related to tangent is through the mathematical equation for centripetal force, which is Fc = mv² / r. In this equation, r represents the radius of the circle, and tangent can be used to calculate the radius if the velocity and centripetal force are known. However, the value of tangent does not affect the centripetal force in any way.

4. Does the value of tangent change as an object moves in a circular motion?

No, the value of tangent remains constant as an object moves in a circular motion. Tangent is a ratio that is dependent on the angle of a right triangle, not the position or movement of an object. Therefore, as long as the angle remains the same, the value of tangent will not change.

5. Why is it important to understand the difference between centripetal force and tangent?

Understanding the difference between centripetal force and tangent is important because they represent two different concepts. Centripetal force is a physical force that keeps an object moving in a circular motion, while tangent is a mathematical term that represents a ratio. Confusing these two concepts can lead to misunderstandings and incorrect calculations in physics and mathematics.