Why defined integral is figure area?

In summary, the integral of a constant function is the same as the area under the curve between the two limits. The proof of this is the "Fundamental theorem of Calculus" (part 1), which is rather complicated but given in any Calculus text.
player1_1_1

Homework Statement

Why figure area is defined as defined integral? i have signature
[tex]P=\int\limits^b_af^{\prime}(x)\mbox{d}x=f(b)-f(a)[/tex]
what is a prove of this signature? I have other signature:
[tex]P=\lim_{n\to\infty}\sum\limits^n_1\left(x_{i+1}-x_i\right)f\left(x_i\right)[/tex]
how it can be proved that these signatures are equivalent? why can't I define figure area under [tex]f(x)[/tex] in a and b limits as ex. [tex]P=f^{\prime}(b)-f^{\prime}(a)[/tex]?

Physics news on Phys.org
player1_1_1 said:

Homework Statement

Why figure area is defined as defined integral? i have signature
[tex]P=\int\limits^b_af^{\prime}(x)\mbox{d}x=f(b)-f(a)[/tex]
what is a prove of this signature? I have other signature:
[tex]P=\lim_{n\to\infty}\sum\limits^n_1\left(x_{i+1}-x_i\right)f\left(x_i\right)[/tex]
how it can be proved that these signatures are equivalent? why can't I define figure area under [tex]f(x)[/tex] in a and b limits as ex. [tex]P=f^{\prime}(b)-f^{\prime}(a)[/tex]?
Because it would give the wrong answer? I have no idea why you would think the area would be equal to f'(b_- f'(a)! Suppose f is a constant function: f(x)= h for all x. f'(x)= 0 for all x so your "[itex]P= f'(b)- f'(a)= 0[/itex]. But the area under the graph, from x= a to x= b, would be a rectangle with height h and width b-a: h(b-a) is not 0.
On the other hand, the integral of the constant function, f(x)= h is [itex]\int h dx= hx. That, evaluated from a to be is hb- ha)= h(b-a).

the complete explanation of why the integral is equal to the area is the proof of the "Fundamental theorem of Calculus" (part 1) which is rather complicated but given in any Calculus text. Basically, the idea is to partition the region under the curve into rectangles. You could, for example, divide the x-axis from a to b into "n" equal length regions, then construct rectangles having as height, say, the lowest value of f(x) in each region. The resulting rectangles will cover an area that is clearly beneath the curve and so has area less than the actual area under the curve. Now do the same thing except use the largest value of f(x) in each region. Those rectangles will will extend above the curve and so have area more than the actual area of the region.

That is, the actual area lies between the two sums. Now take the limit as n goes to infinity. If the two sums have a limit and the limit is the same (and if that is NOT true, the integral does not exist and the formula you give is NOT true), then, since the true area is always between the two sums, it must be equal to the joint value- the integral.

By the way, the correct English word is "formula", not "signature".

thanks friend, I going to think about this;]

Related to Why defined integral is figure area?

1. Why is a defined integral used to find the area under a curve?

A defined integral is used to find the area under a curve because it is a mathematical tool that allows us to calculate the area of irregular shapes, such as those formed by a curve. It takes into account the changing values of the curve and provides a more accurate result than other methods, such as using rectangles or trapezoids.

2. How does a defined integral calculate the area under a curve?

A defined integral calculates the area under a curve by dividing the curve into small segments and approximating the area of each segment using a rectangle. As the width of the segments approaches zero, the sum of these approximations becomes more accurate and gives us the exact area under the curve.

3. Can a defined integral be used to find the area of any shape?

No, a defined integral can only be used to find the area of shapes that can be represented by a continuous function. This means that the shape must have a well-defined boundary and no gaps or holes. It also must not overlap with itself.

4. What is the difference between a defined integral and an indefinite integral?

A defined integral is used to find the exact area under a curve within a specific interval, while an indefinite integral is used to find the general antiderivative of a function. In other words, a defined integral gives a specific numerical value, while an indefinite integral gives a function.

5. Are there any real-world applications of using a defined integral to find the area under a curve?

Yes, there are many real-world applications of using a defined integral to find the area under a curve. Some examples include calculating the distance traveled by an object with a changing velocity, finding the volume of irregularly shaped objects in physics and engineering, and estimating the total area covered by a population of organisms in biology.