Why did I lose all of my watched threads after unchecking only some of them?

• Thread starter symbolipoint
  • Start date
In summary, when Greg checked the threads, he did not realize that there was a different way to do it on the page. The functionality does not work correctly. There is no way to stop just one single desired thread-watch; only all or none.
symbolipoint
Homework Helper
Education Advisor
Gold Member
I just put check marks in several, NOT ALL, of my watched-threads and clicked on the menu to stop watching them, and now I have NO MORE Watched-threads. I only wanted to stop some of them. I did not want to stop watching all of them. Not a big deal for me right now, but it is a problem that needs to be fixed.

Physics news on Phys.org
Greg has backed up all the data from PF4. Maybe he can restore your watched threads.

symbolipoint said:
I only wanted to stop some of them. I did not want to stop watching all of them.
I understand this issue. When you check mark threads the functions are at the bottom, but it is very intuitive to use the top right menu, which asks you if you want to remove all watched threads, but I agree this is very confusing and I'll see what I can do because you won't be the last to make this mistake.

Likes Klystron and Wrichik Basu
I put back some just a few threads to Watch. Now looking again at the list starting this way:
The down-arrow on FORUMS link; choose Watched Threads;
See the page listing my Watched threads;
See that each listing has a check box, and there is a button to dropdown, button called "Manage watched threads". One of the items in this dropdown list is "stop watching threads".

One should expect to be able to check any of the desired items in the list of Watched threads, open the Manage Watched Threads menu, choose "stop watching threads", and the ONLY THOSE CHECKED threads will stop being watched.

symbolipoint said:
One should expect to be able to check any of the desired items in the list of Watched threads, open the Manage Watched Threads menu, choose "stop watching threads", and the ONLY THOSE CHECKED threads will stop being watched.
As Greg said, this is not where the functionality of checked threads is. It is in the bottom of the page. The manage threads menu affects all watched threads. As Greg also said, there is clearly some room for improvement in intuitive interface there...

Orodruin said:
As Greg said, this is not where the functionality of checked threads is. It is in the bottom of the page. The manage threads menu affects all watched threads. As Greg also said, there is clearly some room for improvement in intuitive interface there...
You are describing something different from what is on the page. Each item being watched has its own check box. Is a screen shot necessary?

[moderator note: all caps removed. There is no need to shout.]

Last edited by a moderator:
Orodruin said:
Maybe maybe maybe...
The functionality works incorrectly. The page offers no way to stop just one single desired thread-watch; only all or none.

[moderator note: all caps removed. There is no need to shout.]

Last edited by a moderator:
symbolipoint said:
The page offers no way to stop just one single desired thread-watch
It does. On the bottom of the page once you select some watched threads.

Here is the screenshot:

You are then telling me that "Select all" does not put check marks into the list for ALL of the watched threads? It only allows you to choose the action to happen on the individually checked listed items? That must be the parts that Greg said needs to be adjusted.

symbolipoint said:
You are then telling me that "Select all" does not put check marks into the list for ALL of the watched threads? It only allows you to choose the action to happen on the individually checked listed items? That must be the parts that Greg said needs to be adjusted.
There is some miscommunication going on. Select All, does select all. You can also select check boxes individually. The top drop down menu controls all watched threads regardless of what is checked. If you want to act on checked watched threads you must go to the bottom of the page where that drop down menu is.

Likes Orodruin
symbolipoint said:
You are then telling me that "Select all" does not put check marks into the list for ALL of the watched threads?
I never said that. I said that you must go to the bottom of the list to control checked threads. The top menu controls all watched threads.

Greg Bernhardt said:
There is some miscommunication going on. Select All, does select all. You can also select check boxes individually. The top drop down menu controls all watched threads regardless of what is checked. If you want to act on checked watched threads you must go to the bottom of the page where that drop down menu is.
I will try this on exactly 1 thread in the list.

That dropdown action list at the bottom works.

1. Checkmark any items on the watch-list;
  2. open the menu "with selected..." on the bottom;
  3. click on GO button;
  4. The chosen threads only, are removed from the list.

symbolipoint said:
That dropdown action list at the bottom works.

1. Checkmark any items on the watch-list;
  2. open the menu "with selected..." on the bottom;
  3. click on GO button;
  4. The chosen threads only, are removed from the list.
Which is what I have been saying all along ...

I added the words "ALL" to the phrasing for the top watched content drop down. I'll revisit it later.

Greg Bernhardt said:
I added the words "ALL" to the phrasing for the top watched content drop down. I'll revisit it later.
That will help in understanding the right distinctions in the interface.

1. Why did I lose all of my watched threads after unchecking only some of them?

This could be due to a technical issue or a bug in the system. It is possible that when you unchecked some of the threads, it triggered a refresh or update that caused all of your watched threads to be reset. It is also possible that there was a glitch in the system that caused this to happen.

2. Is there a way to retrieve my lost watched threads?

Unfortunately, once the watched threads have been lost, there is no way to retrieve them. It is important to regularly back up your watched threads or take screenshots of important ones to avoid losing them in the future.

3. How can I prevent this from happening again?

To prevent losing your watched threads, it is recommended to regularly back them up or take screenshots. You can also try using a different browser or clearing your cache to see if that helps with any technical issues. If the problem persists, it is best to reach out to the platform's technical support team for assistance.

4. Will I receive notifications for the threads that I lost?

If you have lost your watched threads, you will not receive notifications for them. However, if you have enabled email notifications for watched threads, you may still receive them in your email inbox. It is important to regularly check your email for any important notifications.

5. Can I manually add back the lost watched threads?

Unfortunately, there is no way to manually add back the lost watched threads. You will need to re-watch the threads that you are interested in following. It is recommended to regularly check and update your watched threads to avoid losing them in the future.