My Watched Threads shows all past threads

• Bug
  • Thread starter PeterDonis
  • Start date
In summary, if you hit the "mark all forums read" link on the watched threads page, all of your past threads will be marked as unread. If you hit the "mark all forums read" link on the watched threads page, and have not recently watched any threads, then all of your past threads will be marked as read.
My "watched threads" page now shows all of my past threads as being unread, even though they're not. Did something go wrong with the tracking of which threads have been read? If so, is there some way I can re-mark all of my past watched threads as read?

Physics news on Phys.org
My watched threads view still looks normal for me. (Firefox on Win10 laptop)

Greg Bernhardt said:
What happens if you hit the "mark all forums read" link? https://www.physicsforums.com/forums/-/mark-read?date=1675884827
That marks everything read, including threads I haven't read yet to decide whether I want to watch them or not. I was wondering if there was a way to just mark all of the threads in my watched threads as read, without affecting any others.

Also, reading individual threads in my watched threads that were suddenly marked unread (even though they weren't, I had already read them up to the latest posts before) has been marking them as read again, so they don't show up in my watched threads any more unless I remove the Unread filter. So the marking of threads as read appears to be working correctly now, just for some reason previous marks on threads I had read were apparently lost.

I have tons of "new" unread threads, too, but most watched threads are still correctly marked as read. I'll check the most recent ones and then mark everything as read unless Greg wants data to investigate. It looks like it's time- and subforum-dependent.

No change (kept marked as read):
* feedback, aerospace engineering
* all threads with a last post older than exactly 1 year independent of forum

Now unread:
general discussion, high energy physics, electromagnetism, calculus and beyond homework, astronomy and astrophysics, nuclear engineering, general math, ... looks like most forums

Can confirm the issue. All past threads are marked as unread.

What is "My Watched Threads"?

"My Watched Threads" is a feature on many online forums and discussion platforms that allows users to keep track of threads or discussions they are interested in. This feature typically displays a list of all the threads a user has subscribed to or marked as "watched".

How do I access "My Watched Threads"?

The location of "My Watched Threads" may vary depending on the platform, but it is typically found in the user's profile or account settings. Some platforms may also have a dedicated button or link for this feature on the main page.

Why does "My Watched Threads" show past threads?

"My Watched Threads" displays all past threads that the user has watched or subscribed to. This allows users to easily access and refer back to discussions they have participated in or are interested in without having to search for them.

Can I remove threads from "My Watched Threads"?

Yes, users can usually remove threads from "My Watched Threads" by clicking on an "unwatch" or "unsubscribe" button next to the thread. This will remove the thread from the list and no longer notify the user of any updates or new posts.

Can I customize the notifications for "My Watched Threads"?

Yes, many platforms allow users to customize their notification settings for "My Watched Threads". This can include choosing to receive notifications for all updates, only new posts, or no notifications at all. Users can also choose to receive notifications via email, push notifications, or within the platform itself.